2.5 tdi engine vibration

Default 2.5 tdi engine vibration

Hi guys. I have had a slight vibration on the engine but now after the weekend 4x4-ing it seems to have got worse. the vibration is at idle and gets worse til about 1200rpm then tappers off as the rpm goes higher. Any suggestions

One of 3 things is happening:

1) You are imagining it. I doubt this, but it sometimes happens. Drive another Ranger to compare.

2) Your engine is not vibrating more, but the vibration is reaching you more efficiently.
    Check engine and gearbox mountings.
    If you only get the vibration while driving- check propshaft.

3) Your engine is vibrating more. This could be caused by mechanical parts wearing out or going out of balance, but more likely to be one or more cylinders not working 100%.
    How is the power output? If down, look @ injectors, then do a compression test.
    Does it only vibrate when cold? If yes, check glowplugs.
    Does it still vibrate with the clutch depressed? If no, the problem is in your clutch or gearbox.
    Is there extra noise? If all above is ok, have a mechanic listen, but expect engine repairs to follow. Probably bearings.

Hagu,
    I have picked up the noise getting worse. I was in at the stealer this morning and they checked the mountings and they checked ok. When driving the noise stays until 1500rpm and not 1200rpm like when stationery. The engine has only done 145 000km, the power is slightly down but not much. When starting the engine seems to make a "loose" noise as the starter engages. Could it be the clutch or flywheel the is coming loose? Could it be two injectors that are not functioning properly that cause the piston/ conrod/ crank to produce this sound. Front pulley?

2 injectors bad will make the engine run very badly indeed. But anyway, pull out the glowplugs and check that they all look the same. If one is more sooty, then you can suspect a problem on that cylinder (glowplug/injector/valve/cracked head) On the subject of head- checked your water?

Does the noise/vibration change when the clutch is pressed?

If it is something like clutch or front pulley you will hear it clearly if you get in under the bakkie with it idling. You can also use a socket extension bar as a stethoscope when doing this.

Yes, bad injectors will do that. But if you suspect the flywheel, you better have it checked out.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I have listened under the vehcile and no the pulley seems fine and the gearbox has its own "sound" when idle in neutral. Engine vibration still there even with clutch depressed. I am thinking more in the way of injectors / head now as I did replace the glo's about 2000km ago. The one was quite soothy.
    Could it be running lean on a cylinder to do this? The engine very seldom smokes i.e. blackish diesel smoke when working hard.

This is the old "joke" all over again.
    Do you run 2-stroke in that engine?
    If you don't, put in some 2-stroke oil at 200:1. Run it for at least 20l of diesel.

I have cured some of my diesel vibrations like that. 2C, 2CT, 3L, 1HDFT, 2L2T
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Glow plugs are like light bulbs- they can last 5 minutes or 5 years, so don't asume they;re ok because they're new. But an engine with a bad glowplug will only vibrate for about a minute tops after a cold start.

If you have a bad injector you will see the sootiness on that cylinder's glowplug, so have a look. If you see a difference, start by cleaning the injectors with injector cleaner, 2 stroke or a tank of 50ppm diesel if you usually use 500.
    If cleaning doesn't solve it, swop the "bad" injector to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the injector. If yes, recon or replace the injector (consider doing them all anyway). If no, it's your valves or head causing the issue.

Hagu, Henris, yes I am adding 2-stroke oil. I had the engine idling and cracked off each injector pipe individually and each cylinder seems to react accordingly. I then remove all the glo plugs and they were all the same black soothy colour. I removed all the belts and the vibration was gone. Removed the viscus fan and fitted the alternator belts only and vibration back slightly, refitted fan and back like it was. It seems as if either the front crank pulley is loose or the vibration dampner on the front pulley is broken.

seems we got the same issues (mine on 215000km). only heavy vibrating at low revs & when idling (standing still & not in gear)

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

I'm clueless now - the transfer case was on the bashplate I took it of and most of the vibration is gone but there is still some vibration so I think my problem is somewhere in that regon (at least not the turbo as I though)

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

Default Re: 2.5 tdi engine vibration

Good Afternoon

I am reviving this old tread.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5TDI with 166k km on the clock. Currently I am experiencing a bad vibration when the vehicle is cold. (Not glow-plugs, as I know the symptoms) As the engine heats up to normal operating temperature the vibration reduces, but I still feel the motor runs to rough at idle. I have increased idling speed to 900 rpm.

This week I had the diesel pump recalibrated and injectors replaced at a reputable workshop. After this "service" we are still experiencing the same symptoms. I also had the engine mountings replaced with new OEM mountings 2 months ago.

Overall the bakkie runs smooth, no smoke on hot or cold starts, fair fuel consumption, pulls strong...

I am running out of ideas as what to check next..

Any help will be appreciated.

Usually one of these:

1) dual mass flywheel if fitted
    2) crank damper pulley if fitted
    3) engine mounts worn
    4) gearbox mounts worn
    5) a genuine missfire due to fuel delivery issues
    6) a genuine missfire due to low compression on one or more cylinders
    7) a genuine missfire due to constraints in the inlet manifold

In other words: you could spend R100k chasing the problem. Find a decent mechanic.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

So.... its not just my 3.0 that is a vibrator.

I was told mine is caused by the Dual Mass Flywheel, but the 2.5 does not have a DMF.

Check rear gearbox mounting and look if the (if its 4x4) transfer case bash plate is not a bit bent against the gearbox, as it transfers the vibrations directly to the chassis. Also look at the fuel tank, some models have a protective steel cover also which can also transfer vibrations to the chassis if it makes contact with the tank itself.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Check the valve clearance. A engine running rough when cold and smooth when warm have too tight valve clearances.
    Last edited by wiel; 2020/11/20 at 11:02 AM.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wiel For This Useful Post:

Ok, so the bakkie was at Ford Stellenbosch for two days. They have adjusted the valve clearances.

Still running too rough. Spoke to the workshop Foreman, and according to them there is nothing wrong with the bakkie. He says that I must remember that the vehicle is 20 years old and will not run as smooth as newer diesel engines. Maybe he is right.... and I am imagining that it runs too rough. I am happy that I took her in as she got a full check and they found nothing to report, except that I must change front brakes. Which I am doing in December Holidays.

I have send a PM to DVR and will also wait for his feedback.

Cheers

I had terrible vibrations after my engine and injector overhaul.

Turned out it was the injectors. The way it was explained is the following, they open at different RPM, hence why its worse and then goes away. Anyway that solved my issue.

Also had a issue when pulling off, i got a almost clutch judder effect. This was a diff bolt that had decided to say cheers. Had the hole re-threaded and fitted a new bolt with some locktite. Problem solved. After that we went through the whole car and discovered a few loose bolts. The corrugations take there toll on them.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

I dont remember my 2007 Mazda Drifter 2.5Tdi vibrating at idle much. But my 3.0 is a vibrator of note at idle speeds. I have been told its perhaps my Dual Mass Flywheel, but not 100% sure that a new DMF will solve the issue, and its a rather expensive thing to do.

I am still looking for some place with a fancy enough OBD computer to adjust the ilde speed just a little bit higher.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

Mine idles a bit rough when aircon is running and also feels as if power is bit down. As you say with belts removed vibration got could bee aircon pump clutch sticking. Just my 10cents.( smallest currency usable these days)