Please Help - Seems to be Electrical

Default Please Help - Seems to be Electrical

Hi there,

I'm driving home from work last night on the N1, when suddenly my battery light comes on. Next thing my power steering is suddenly gone, and I need 2 hands and all my strength to steer to the nearest offramp.

Next, my temperature gauge starts climbing, so I pull over to the yellow lane and stop her.

Now I'm thinking it could be a fuse or worse, as it all seems to be electrical related.

After checking things out, I notice the viscous fan's not running either I though this ran off the engine, not electrics?

Anyone have any ideas what this could be. I'm phoning auto electricians, but you know how that goes... R200-R275p/h, and no estimates on how many hours it will take... maybe 4 hours, maybe 4 days...
    '03 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 V6 4x4 D/C
    Full OME Suspension

You have snapped V-Belts
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Thanks Koebelwagen,

I had a quick lookup on these v-belts and it seems very logical (and appears like it may be cheaper to fix?! unless this belt(s) is in an onscure place that takes 5 hours to get to...

An Auto electrician would then not be the right guy for the job...any idea who I'd go to for this? Besides Nissan. Just a general mechanic or what?
    Full OME Suspension

I agree with Koebelwagen.

Belt snapped.

That would stop the alternator, water pump and power steering pump from running, explaining the battery light, temperature increase and loss of power steering.

It's possible that the belt hasn't actually snapped. It could be that the mounting/adjustment for the idler pulley has worked loose and the belt is now very loose.

You should be able to see this fairly easily if you have a look.

Tim
    Last edited by TimJNB; 2010/03/03 at 11:21 AM.
    Scepticism is the highest of duties,
    and blind faith the one unpardonable sin.
    T H Huxley

OK. Just went to have a look at the hardbody with the sun up now... Definitely the belts. I can see 1 or 2 of em lying behind the radiator at the bottom.

Now to get some replacements and get it fitted. Anyone know a good mechanic in cape town area - pref durbanville / bellville / brackenfell area. Overheating makes it hard to drive far.
    Full OME Suspension

Yep... so that belt that powers the alternator... That 1was definitely off. En route to mechanic, the temp started climbing so I switched off to let it cool a bit, before driving on.

But there was no more juice in the battery. Thank goodness it died now rather than last night.
    Full OME Suspension

sorry to hear of your woes Elbad,
    was just wondering about roadside repairs for this: IE: tying a rope to size and tightening pulleys (as interim sollution) -has anyone ever actually tried this?
    also heard of old wives tail about using stockings -but not so sure about this one?
    does anyone have any tips -besides carrying a spare v-belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
    sorry to hear of your woes Elbad,
    was just wondering about roadside repairs for this: IE: tying a rope to size and tightening pulleys (as interim sollution) -has anyone ever actually tried this?
    also heard of old wives tail about using stockings -but not so sure about this one?
    does anyone have any tips -besides carrying a spare v-belt?
    years back i remember u were able to get a " adjustable v belt" made up of small "links" u could remove or replace to make the belt shorter or longer. used them on the farm landrover but also remember u had to keep engine speed down or the belt came apart. personally i always keep a spare belt under the seat. cheap insurance against a belt snapping. next time u have a belt replaced just ask for the old one back and keep it for emergency.
    TJ Wrangler 05 model, 4.8L petrol, lifted, double locked, supercharged, intercooled and some other stuff.

A GUN FREE SOUTH AFRICA? SUCK MY GLOCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by regardt7 View Post
    years back i remember u were able to get a " adjustable v belt" made up of small "links" u could remove or replace to make the belt shorter or longer. used them on the farm landrover but also remember u had to keep engine speed down or the belt came apart. personally i always keep a spare belt under the seat. cheap insurance against a belt snapping. next time u have a belt replaced just ask for the old one back and keep it for emergency.
    I still have one like that. In 1983 when my one aunt in Clanwilliam passed away I inherited all her car goodies and this was amongst it. Of course it is of no use with today's multi rib belts. Otherwise I do the same as you, keep the old belt for an emergency.

Check the belts every now and then as part of your service procedure. For the price of the belts, as soon as they show slight wear, replace then and put the old ones under your seat or where ever you can fit them in. Next time you have a belt fail on you, you whip out the 14 spanner and bobs your aunt in 15 minutes flat.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab