Navara 4x2 Brakes

Default Navara 4x2 Brakes

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a 2006 Navara 4.0 V6 4x2. I need to do the front brakes (discs and pads). I just had it serviced at Nissan (45000km) and they wanted a "small cars price" to do the brakes!

Any advice on brands of discs and pads to use and what are the costs involved?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I appreciate it!

Cheers
    Nino

I replaced my pads myself a year or so ago. Can't remember if I fitted ATE or Ferodo, but it was a big brand. Read trusted. Anycase, my local spares shops said they can not get. I eventually found a set at a Hyundai/Korean spares shop in Edenvale. So my advice is not to take no for an answer and shop till you find. I can check for you at home what I paid. I might still have the invoice. Off the top of my head I would guess I paid around R600 for the front set. Anycase, it was way less than what Nissan quoted me.

As for the discs, when you find, let me know. I also need a set of front rotors. Mine is still at acceptable limits, but developed a lip on the outside. I skimmed that wit an angle grinder. I would try and contact ALFA directly as they make disc rotors and will know if they do for the Navara. They could also direct you to a dealer that they supply to. I think Nissan wanted around R2k/rotor the last time I checked.

Lastly, how come yours needs new rotors at 45 000km? Mine is at 100 000km and they are not a safety risk yet. 45k km on a 2006 is a real low miler.

Thanks for the reply Lord Farquart. I must also admit that I found it strange that I should be replacign the discs so soon. I will have to check them myself.

If I do find a dealer for the discs, I will let you know.

Cheers
    Nino

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lord Farquart. I must also admit that I found it strange that I should be replacign the discs so soon. I will have to check them myself.

If I do find a dealer for the discs, I will let you know.

Cheers
    Nino
    They told me the same thing around 60k km. I told them to leave it. When I checked I saw slight wear resulting in the lip on the outter edge. I grinded it away and no problems since.

also try powerbrake.co.za they have much better brake discs and pad kits for cheaper than the dealers.
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeZA View Post
    also try powerbrake.co.za they have much better brake discs and pad kits for cheaper than the dealers.
    I will give them a call on Monday and get some prices. I also had a look at the discs and I cant see any wear and tear and even when hard braking, all is good.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    I will give them a call on Monday and get some prices. I also had a look at the discs and I cant see any wear and tear and even when hard braking, all is good.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it!
    Remember to update the thread with your findings.