Macenta Island Route Info

Default Macenta Island Route Info

Hi guys

I am planning a trip into Mozambique in March, entering moz at Kosi bay and driving up to Macaneta island, the plan is to drive from Costa do Sol (all offroad tracks from maputo to the ferry crossing) I understand that this road is very bad and hoping for some comments and advice as I will be driving on my own. can this be done ? . Or rather should this be done ?
    Last edited by AndrewP; 2010/02/24 at 04:20 PM.
    VW Touareg V8 TDi
    Isuzu KB 300 D-Teq 4x4 DC -Sold
    Isuzu Frontier 320 4x4 - Sold

i really havent tried this route. does it exist? i will be whatching this thread!
    Never Dull in Africa

Yes, it is there. You just drive follow the road from Costa do Sol over the bridge right through the village (Village of the fishermen) with stunning photo opportunities and on past the boy's town then farming country-side till you get onto the dyke.

It runs very straight along the dyke. I suggest you stop at every little bridge and inspect it, walk it jump it and then drive it. Be prepared to built a short bridge as you will be driving on a narrow dyke and there are several (+- eight) narrow streams passing from the high-ground on the left (west) towards the sea.

There are log bridges and plank-bridges and the last time I drove it there was one stream where the tracks went off the duke and dipping sharply to the left and back up onto the dyke. The streams are quite narrow, 1 to 2 metres.

Places to turn around are very restricted, but not quite impossible. I planned to carry a few blue gum poles on the roof next time to just reinforce where necessary.

I suggest that you do not try to drive into the rice paddies.

The little bridges are quite unobtrusive, I suggest you go quite slowly.

Do not do it alone. I do it solitary but my 2A is empty and light. Good cellphone coverage.

The road later changes to shallow loose red sand (indicating that you are climbing) and when you drive into Marracuene, turn right and follow the street on the outside edge of town till you get the road dropping down to the ferry to the right.

Caneta - is the Portuguese for a pen for writing.
    Macaneta - Portuguese for peninsula
    Last edited by Mopani; 2010/02/26 at 09:20 AM.

I can confirm what Mopani said , there are some very narrow "bridges" en route , we just made it through . The ground has eroded away from the side's of stormwater pipes beneath , leaving very little space for a vehicle , clearance could be an issue . There was the risk of " falling " into one of the holes .

We did the route alone , but should have taken another vehicle as backup or bridging materials .

We did the reverse trip, from the ferry to Costa do sol, im not sure if we perhaps took a different route but the road we were on wasnt that bad at all, yes we did have to engage low range a few times because of thick sand but that was about all. We were 3 vehicles towing camping trailers & a large duck, the route was sand the whole way and took us through the outer villages and rural Maputo, towards the end we were forced to take a detour as they were laying pipes, we then squeezed between the houses but still came out at Costa Do Sol.

RandyTD5,

It could be that they are inserting pipes to replace the old little "bridges".

I will make a plan to go check.

Daan

Default Costa do Sol - Maracuene

Hi Andrew,
    Like all routes in Moz, things constantly change. There are actually two routes from Costa do Sol, the one that was being described here (scenic) route and then there is one turning off to the left, BEFORE you cross the bridge after Costa d S. It starts as a paved road with lots of speedbumps until you cross the railway line, the next turn-off to the right after the railway will take you straight to the EN1 north just outside Maracuene.
    This road can be done with a platkar.
    Check it on Google Earth, the whole area has been updated in August last year, then you can see both options.
    JoenelSilver Rubicon Unlimited4" lift, 33" Maxxis, 4,88 diffs, Ford Ranger 2.2 Auto 4x4 D/C

Joenel,

You are quite correct. If one drives north in Maputo on the EN1 and you turn east at the second large traffic circle, past the anti-aircraft radars to the next small circle and exit 12 o'clock and turn north about a block further, you will join this road. Flat and hard red latterite surface most of the way.

In line with the northern police control point there used to be a single policeman in an SA military 16x16 with a strand of danger tape across the road. Maybe he has been relieved of that important task.

As mentioned you can do it in a platkar.