kosi bay camps

Thread: kosi bay camps

Default kosi bay camps

Hi guys. Planning on going to Kosi early to mid June. Want to know of any good campsites on any of the lakes. Want to take my small boat with so preferably a campsite near a launch site. Do you have any suggestions and any thoughts on the crime in the area? Have heard of Bangha Nek and utshwayelo, does anyone have any experience in these areas? Will a Jimny with a small Venter trailer handle the roads?

Thanx guys,
    zKramm

Will be going to the area from 26 March ( Bangha neck ) Will let you know , i have been going there for the past 5 years , no crime issues at Bangha neck as it is a community camp and they look after the tourists in the area as it is the only source of income . Maybe some one can help me with some info of the road conditions between Piet Retief and Pongola and then between Josini and Kosi ?

If I remember correctly when i was last there in 2006 there is a KZN Wildlife ? camp right on the shore of third lake.

Camped there for years at the "varkeraad" wildlife campsite on the 3rd lake, the road from Jozini one should just beware of the animals on the road, cattle ect so dont drive at night.

Haven't been back for years live in Cape Town atm so quite a drive, but was awesome fishing 1st lake - mainly grunter on a long line and kingfish on the drift and then some whoppers in 3rd lake on the trawl.

My only concern in June is if it rains for a week you are stuffed I distictly recall a 2 week stint there in May/June where it rained non stop and the fishing was ****.

I have heard good things about the Banglanek Camp not sure about the fishing there tho we went diving there mostly.

If you do go camp at the parksboard camp lock the valuables in the car try to get camp 1-3 or 4 you are on the lake then and you can keep an eye on your boat.

Brings back good memories....
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

There were a few illegal private camps demolished at Bhanga Nek last week , as part of the ongoing battle with Isimangaliso .

I have still havent managed to find out if the campsite's remain , however afaik , there arent any kznwildlife camps in the Bhanga Nek area , so the heat is prob on them already .

See the links ...
    http://isimangalisonews.wordpress.com/
    http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=35937

Quote Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
    Will be going to the area from 26 March ( Bangha neck ) Will let you know , i have been going there for the past 5 years , no crime issues at Bangha neck as it is a community camp and they look after the tourists in the area as it is the only source of income . Maybe some one can help me with some info of the road conditions between Piet Retief and Pongola and then between Josini and Kosi ?
    I travelled the road from Piet Retief / Pongola / Empangeni last year at end of December.. allot of cattle, people and potholes in road before and after Pongola.. the road gets better closer to Josini.. not sure about the road going east towards Kosi..

zkramm the KZN Wildlife camp as two launch sites for boats and is situated on the biggest lake.

2001 Land Rover Defender TD5 110

Road from Jozini to Kosi is tar but poorly maintained and look out for pot holes - they are busy repairing at the moment - don't travel at night due to plenty cattle and goats. 8 hours from JHB due to road works Bethal to Pongolo - try www.utshwayelo.co.za Ken and Enoch are great hosts

PGJ is correct....the Banga Neck camps have been removed

Utshwayelo is a great campsite. Enoch IS a great host! A laugh a minute at least. When I was there in April last year the road from Jozini to Manguzi was very bad. Whole chunks of road gone in certain places the Polo driving along with us had to replace 2 of its tires.

Its about 2 kms, in fairly sandy conditions from the campsite to the lagoon, I really don't know where you would launch a boat from though.

The road between Jozini and Emanguzi is still very bad in places over the Makatini Vlakte.
    Sometimes better to drive next to the road than on the road

2001 Land Rover Defender TD5 110

Default utshwayelo kosi bay mouth

the closest place to the mouth is utshwayelo kosi bay mouth. www.utshwayelo.co.za it's a great place and has just had a revamp.
    If only people with closed minds also had closed mouths