Feedback on a U 4000 Crew Cab Unimog

Default Feedback on a U 4000 Crew Cab Unimog

Has anyone have any background on the above Mog in terms of overlanding? How accesable is this vehicle on roads and are they allowed on off-road routes in national parks in Southern Africa? Are they comfortable if you do a 5000 km trip? Is the width not a problem on 2-spoor roads in the bush?

Any other information will also be appreciated.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Andre van Safari Centre het toer deur Afrika met Unimog gedoen- skakel hom.

Baie dankie Chris B, ons sal hom skakel.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Hi Willem,

Most East African countries won't allow vehicles with a wider wheel base than a Land Rover/Land Cruiser into their national parks because of the damage to the tracks. Serengetti charges $150 a day for vehicles weighing over 2000kg to stop trucks using the main road from Olduvai to Seronera as a transit route to Musoma on Lake Victoria.

In other remote parks, where you are allowed in, you will find yourself constantly driving at an angle because you are wider than the tracks.

Besides that, the Mog is an awesome vehicle.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

The other major problem with any truck as an overland vehicle is how detached you are from your surroundings. You don't get idle conversations with passers by or officials.You don't get people offering you fruit or banana loaf through your window. Any animals you see will be a bird's eye view! I'll bet with the big climb to the cab that you wouldn't get in and out half so often as with a car. Africa becomes just a backdrop for your drive, a pretty bit of scenery that passes along your screen.....

On the up side, you can carry enormous amounts of fuel and food, so long visits to out of the way places are easier in logisitical terms. The Unimog, however, is renowned for being noisy in the cab, and really thirsty.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Willem

Have you considered the MB Sprinter 315 or 518 with Igllhaut Allrad offroad conversion for overlanding?

hi Mike,
    I have a mog 1300 and had never that kind of problems, I eaven could see what sort of fruit they had in the basked. Old mogs are loud, new ones are quiet. I can hear music in mine, hakuna matata.
    Jochen

Thumbs up

Hi Jochen

I like the 1300/435 but they are difficult to fi nd in SA.

At present I have a 416 and have travelled all over africa with no trouble

Default Feedback on a 4000 Crew cab Unimog

Hi Loot,
    yes it is a very nice car. I never had problems to drive in a Park. Yes Serengetti, you can forget to drive in with a truck, or say so you can but you pay. ONLY IN TANZANIA. I went into Massai Mara and had no Problems. Most of the other Parks in Africa you can go, eaven with a truck.
    In the moment I am bussy to convert my steering from left to righthand drive. I belive the same law that you have in SA will come hier. Would you like to see some pics of my Unimog? On the this thread some pages back, I belive it is under Jochen P Unimog.
    Reg. Jochen