Hardbody underbody rattle - found

Default Hardbody underbody rattle - found

So since buying the Hardbody, from time to time I would hear a metallic rattle under the bakkie. So this evening with nothing better to do I inspect the exhaust (my dad always says if there is a rattle under the car, start with the exhaust!). Some very good advice, after about 30 sec of checking I found that the exhaust hanger bracket just behind the manifold had broken. It is a bit of a silly setup with a screw going through the bracket screws and then screwing into the exhaust. I removed the bracket in the meanwhile as the metalllic sound is when the exhaust bangs against the bracket. Will probably have it welded to the bracket when I have time. The bracket seems on last legs anyway as the rubber between the two plates has also started ripping. Will probably cost an arm and a leg from Nissan for the part, so I will see what I can do. Can't use something else as the bracket screws onto the gearbox.
    Also went and bought some fuel injection rated rubber fuel pipe and 4 clamps as the pipes started leaking fuel again around the fuel filter, in my opinion the rubber becomes too hard and hence the clamp cannot clamp the rubber properly to prevent leaking. Luckily the piece of pipe and clamps were only R60.
    Lastly some general fuel consumption observations:
    Went to the Drakensberg and having travelled 830km, used 108.5 litres of fuel. This calculates to 13.1 l/100km or 7.63 km/l (If I did my calculations correctly). Total cost of fuel R856.02.

This was with 5 people in the bakkie and also all the luggage. Being used to fuel consumption of a 1.3 Mazda 2 and a 1.4 Corsa Utility (around 7 - 8 l/100km) this pains me, but I have seen on the forum this is actually not bad fuel consumption for a 4X4 8)
    So far very happy with the Hardbody, especially now that the niggles are being sorted. Going to Berakah this weekend with some friends who are very much hardcore offroaders, will see how the Hardbody copes - if it goes wrong, it will rather be driver error than the bakkie, I suspect

Ou Nommer Sewe (2004 Nissan Hardbody 2.4i D/C 4X4)
    JCCML!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Body View Post
    Lastly some general fuel consumption observations:
    Went to the Drakensberg and having travelled 830km, used 108.5 litres of fuel. This calculates to 13.1 l/100km or 7.63 km/l (If I did my calculations correctly). Total cost of fuel R856.02.

This was with 5 people in the bakkie and also all the luggage. Being used to fuel consumption of a 1.3 Mazda 2 and a 1.4 Corsa Utility (around 7 - 8 l/100km) this pains me, but I have seen on the forum this is actually not bad fuel consumption for a 4X4 8)

I must say... it seems as if 2.4 engines are in general thirsty. Not bad consumption for your truck. I am using anything between 10 to 16L per 100km on my 2.4 Grand Vitara.

On a lighter note... Harbody's are underated... I did a road trip last year twice with a 3TDI Hardbody.. and must say, although it isn't a looker.. it was quite comfy as a driver and got 10kmpl at speeds of 120 to 150kmph...

Enjoy!

In my opinion the 2.4i's lack of power in a vehicle the size of the Hardbody negates any worthwhile gains in fuel consumption over a larger engine like the V6. Offroad in low range it may be another story, but to get anywhere once you hit a gradient on the open road you have to put your foot flat with the 2.4i and even shifting down to 4th or 3rd you still need to put foot! And I don't even drive fast, I keep it between 100km/h and 120km/h on the speedo 8)

JCCML!!!

with the v6 i get around 7.5 when driving around 130-140 on the speedo if the road allows it. at around 100-110 i get up to 8.5 and sometimes more. the best i ever got was just over 9km/l and that was fully loaded with 3 people and camping stuff to the drakensburg. was well over 600km on a tank
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

I should have got the V6!

JCCML!!!

belive me its very easy to get under 5 in town... dont listen to the airbox noises and drive to hear it...
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeZA View Post
    with the v6 i get around 7.5 when driving around 130-140 on the speedo if the road allows it. at around 100-110 i get up to 8.5 and sometimes more. the best i ever got was just over 9km/l and that was fully loaded with 3 people and camping stuff to the drakensburg. was well over 600km on a tank
    Yikes... My '03 V6 is averaging 5.5-6km /l. I have just had a major service, and no real gains from that. I also try to keep it at 110km/h or so... sometimes 140 when I'm late. Even at my calmest, I can't really seem to get over 6 km/l.

Starting to think theres something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Elbad View Post
    Yikes... My '03 V6 is averaging 5.5-6km /l. I have just had a major service, and no real gains from that. I also try to keep it at 110km/h or so... sometimes 140 when I'm late. Even at my calmest, I can't really seem to get over 6 km/l.

Starting to think theres something wrong...

Well... We on par alomost with my 2.4 GV.... If I had your engine.. I would understand why it was heavy.. but damn.. my little 2.4 is thirsty...

my average since i got George last year has been 7.6l/100km OR 13 KM/litre still -shocking to me (tracking it per fillup), but i have admittedly been driving very soft as i too came from a 1.3 padkar and had to adjust a bit since.
    this figure includes aircon on odd occasions town driving and highway.

does anyone know if fitting a descent freeflow exhaust will help with the consumption? Im not too keen to mess with the air filter though,

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
    my average since i got George last year has been 7.6l/100km OR 13 KM/litre still -shocking to me (tracking it per fillup), but i have admittedly been driving very soft as i too came from a 1.3 padkar and had to adjust a bit since.
    this figure includes aircon on odd occasions town driving and highway.

does anyone know if fitting a descent freeflow exhaust will help with the consumption? Im not too keen to mess with the air filter though,

what year model is your truck... how many km is on your ode.. for interestsake...

George is a 99 model. has about 230k on the ode now.

Wink

Remember what can also put fuel consumption up is larger tyres.
    Mine ran at 12.46 klm/100klm or approx 8.k/l. with 245 /70/16 tyres..AT
    Now with M/T 265/75/16 i go up to 13.6klm/100 or 7.5 l per klm.
    Also lost a bit of horse power, but i have better traction now, which i require.
    This i knew would happen when i did the change over and live with it.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

it is with great shame and sadness that i admit that my tyres are black and that i know little else
    i think they are Goodyear Wranglers, and they look more like road Tyres, not all terrain. so my guess is that they are economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Body View Post
    I should have got the V6!
    That 2.4 is one of the most reliable engines out there, together with the 2.7 Toyota. Thirsty, but will keep on going and going!
    2008 Jimny (SOLD)2011 3.2 Pajero SWB

Jy's reg, die 2.4 is maar n donkie en jy moet bo 4000 of 4500 revs bly om jou spoed te hou. Op n warm somers dag moet jy geduld he want as die fan eers aankom met die aircon, nee wat sit maar terug 4de toe.lol