Richtersveld Ais-Ais

Deirdre Guest

Default Richtersveld Ais-Ais

Would like to know if it is possible to go by the Ais-Ais 4x4 river route from Richtersveld towing a Jurgens Explore ? Will be going there at the end of March 2010.

Heard on the Radio (Cape Talk & RSG) over the weekend that certain parts of the Richtersveld has been badly damaged by floods. Spokesman said that some of the camp sites could be closed for a month or more...!!
    Maybe give them a shout to find out more info about which areas are affected and how this could impact on your plans.
    Cheers

Would like to know if it is possible to go by the Ais-Ais 4x4 river route from Richtersveld towing a Jurgens Explore ? Will be going there at the end of March 2010.
    Which 4x4 river route will this be Deidre? We used great Namibian gravel roads all the way from Sendelingsdrift to Ai-Ais, I'm not aware of a 4x4 river route.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Deirdre Guest

The co-ordinates are 28'16'62 and 17'22'16. That is according to the map I haved of the Richtersveld. Maybe I should get a new map. It is on the De Hoop side going straight up along a river. Thanks it's great to be able to find routes out this way

OK now I'm with you, it's called the Gamchab riverbed trail and is defenitely a worthwhile shortcut to take on your way to Ai-Ais. Not knowing what to expect we were pleasantly surprised with the scenery on this short route. You shouldn't have trouble with the Explorer in tow. Just keep your eyes open for the turn-off as the board is not very clear from the road. Here's some pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namakwa2-579.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	52510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namakwa2-581.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	52511  

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Deirdre Guest

Granlor thanks, that really helps. Just hope that the roads in the Richtersveld are okay. I hear there has been some flooding. Has someone been trough there lately. We are going to De Hoop and then on to Ai-Ais. (With Explorer)

Deirdre Guest

My last comment was in Feb. and now I want to know if there is anyone out there who knows how long it will take from Kang in Botswana to Upington through McCarthys Rest. Is it possible to do it in 1 day and what is the better route bearing inm ind we are towing the Explorer? We thought of going down to Kathu and then Upington. Will be leaving on Saturday. So please guys let me know.

Geez, that's about 800km! And some of it would be gravel... I would rather stay over at Mcarthy's if possible...