Kazuma Pan Zim

Thread: Kazuma Pan Zim

Default Kazuma Pan Zim

I have booked 2 nights for Sept and can anyone advise if the campsites have water, toilets, etc. Is there a preferred campsite? Also I understand water is pumped at specific water holes in the dry season are they still working? What are game conditions like during Sept? Thanks.

Kazuma pan, boy if that is the one we went to two years ago you sure are in for a surprise. I must start off and say that we are fully equipped (I mean fully) and there were 3 vehicles in our group. The Kazuma Pan (Park) is north of Hwange and east of the Matetsi Hunting concessions.

We picked up a guide at the Matetsi Game Rangers (US$20 per day), he travels with you in the vehicle and his own bedding. You then drop him offf again at the Game Rangers Offices afterwards.

Very little game, the single Lion we spotted some 200m in the road, took off at a major speed never to be seen again.

It was nice and wild, being April the previous visitors to the area where there in Oct the year before. The Guide stated that poaching and legal hunting took place in the area all year round.

No visible roads grass lands 2m high you can't see where you are going. A guide and a GPS are necessary (a satelite phone will help). For a real wild trip this was fun, but a pity about the game.

You camp any where no properly marked sites no water and listen I mean no water, no ablutions. Did I say no game?

Do it again yes I would, do not go alone.

Hi Tron,
    Thanks for the feedback. We are there in Sept and there will be 3 vehicles. The Zim Parks website description gives a completely different picture of the game conditions. The guide seems like a good idea particularly since there does not seem to be much road infrastructure.

Hi Gene,

If you are talking of the same Kazuma pan we use to visit from the Botswana side, then I wouldn't know of any campsite infrastructure at all.

But depending of the time of the year (and Sep is the best time) there is plenty of game around the water holes so you should not be disappointed.
    However the guide thing is feasible, but don't expect any flush loos or water taps.

Been there on regular basis in all seasons as it's easily accessible from Bots and definitely, the dry season is best.
    Beware that animals are shy and run on the first sight of a vehicle but on the pan you will still see them as around the watering holes if you blend in well.

So enjoy Sable, Roan and Ellies, we heard the Leopard about 100 meters off but never saw it in the dark.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi Kalahari Safari,
    You cross the border into Zim at Pandamatenga and Kazuma Pan is 20k's or so north. The parks officials have told me there is no pumped water at the water holes so hopefully they will still contain some water. Are there many roads for driving or are you llmited? I guess you can drive off road if the conditions are favourable.

Hi Gene,

Yes the same location, but as said, I don't cross into ZIM at Panda but use the BOTS side track.
    Then reaching Kazuma Pan I venture around also into ZIM territory along Elephant tracks to find the water holes.
    Last time in October '09 I found some guys at the pump hut / shelter so they did some works to supply water.
    But now I cannot recommend this option so much anymore as 3 wildlife officials from BOTS have been apprehended by ZIM border guards when venturing into ZIM territory just south of Kazungula and ended up in jail, the story is still ongoing....
    In general the ZIM tracks are better maintained and easier to drive, roads are not so many but plenty of off road tracks to follow.
    What I don't know is the illegal border crossings from Zim into Bots, I found on two occasions a vehicle crossing at night (11PM) and the guy surely new his tracks at quite some speed.
    I didn't volunteer to find out more as I don't carry a gun myself......
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi Gene,

Also going through Pandamatenga in September but going into Hwange
    for a week. Do you know if we can take fresh meet through Panda into
    Zim? I have tried to find out but getting mixed replies and absolutely
    nothing from the officialdom. I need to take meet meat through as I will
    not be leaving Hwange in the time that I am there.

Yes you can, you just can't bring it back!!!!!

The Nata Panda road is in a major state of disrepair, when not go via Plumtree (Francistown to Bulawayo) no problems at border nice scenary and friendly officials. Fuel, food etc readily available.

When we were at Kazuma in April the following issues need explaining:

-Our guide had a AK and ammo
    -The pan area was fine again not much game
    -No water pan dry in April I guess Sept as well
    -On numerous ocasions we found vehicle crossing over from Botswana illegally. I believe any one who does this is reckless and more important breaking the law. There is no room for crocidile Dundees.
    -the trip from the Panda gate up north to Kazuma is not advisable as you can't book in you have to go to Matetsi GR camp. We had a trailer with us which broke an axle (2,5t) so we decided with the agreement of the guide to travel along the Zim border down South to Panda gate. We had to do a bit of road building the 30km took 4,5 hours to travel.
    -Still an enjoyable trip but for two nights? I guess you need at least 4.