Botswana May-June 2010 trip advice

Question Botswana May-June 2010 trip advice

Hola to all fellow 4x4 travellers from Southern Africa,

We're a couple from Spain planning to do a self-drive 4x4 camping trip across Botswana during late May or early June this year (still working out bookings and flights so we can be flexible). We have about 22 days visiting the Okavango delta, Moremi, Chobe, Victoria falls... the usual for first time visitors I presume. We've built a provisional itinerary like this:

Day 01 JHB-MAUN- logistics: car, paperwork, supplies
    Day 02 3rd Bridge
    Day 03 3rd Bridge
    Day 04 Khwai
    Day 05 Savuti
    Day 06 Ihaha
    Day 07 Ihaha
    Day 08 Game drive out from Ihaha. [email protected]
    Day 09 Day trip to Vic Falls
    Day 10 Kasane to KUBU
    Day 11 KUBU
    Day 12 NXAI
    Day 13 NXAI
    Day 14 MAUN, RESTOCK AND REFUEL-scenic flight over the delta
    Day 15 MOKORO TRIP - DAY TRIP
    Day 16 CKGR
    Day 17 CKGR
    Day 18 CKGR
    Day 19 HAINA LODGE or alternative
    Day 20 ??
    Day 21 ??
    Day 22 MAUN- JHB

Questions:

1- We're trying hard to pin down all the bookings on the busy Moremi & Chobe park campsites for the first part of the trip, till day 7, if we can't manage what other suitable alternatives on the "community campsites" would you recommend with this sort of itinerary?

3- The rest of bookings: we're thinking first concentrating in booking accomodation for the first half of the trip up to day 7 so we can confirm the flight and the sort out the rest after that... do you think the other campsites at CKGR, Kubu, etc will be more available for a semi-open itinerary? I mean, turn up at the resevations office the day before and get a booking.

4- Mokoro day trip: regarding day 15, we've been told we might be able to do the mokoro day trip from some boat station near 3rd Bridge instead of going back to Maun so perhaps we could do that on day 4 pushing everything else one day down the list... depending of cost which being Botswana it's likely to be high, can't find much info about other options for such thing.. anyone? Are they worth it in terms of "experiencing" the delta?

5- Suggestions for the itinerary, esp. the second half are very much welcome, still not very clear..

6- By the way this is our honeymoon... :-)

Gracias, thank you all for your time.

Dani

Hi
    You need to book to visit CKGR in advance - you can sent a e-mail to [email protected] - only a few camps not privatised - lengua or campsite no CKSUN01 aswell kori pan CKKOR01-04 IS stil available from goverment. - is cheaper than privatised - if you want to phone no is +267 3180774 orv fax 3180775 - reAD all the information about botswana on the net - verry usefull

Ok, thanks for the advice. Freeflyd, that guide is very good better that many printed guides.
    Still thinking that three days in CKGR might be too much... considering that we have another free day towards the end of the itinerary, anybody has any suggestions for places to see near CKGR?

Cheers,

Dani

From day 15 - 16 it is on your way to CKGR - you must give yourself atleast 5-6 hours to get there - then i will suggest you sleep day 16 at Brakah campsite, 17,18 and 19 in the park - this is the place te be - 20 - kubu 21 - Rhino sanctury park near Serowe - even 2 knigths and then back to Johannesburg

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Just one correction, we'll fly to Maun from Jo'burg, so the self-drive itinerary starts at Maun, not in Jo'burg, my mistake, I'm afraid I did not make it clear on the itinerary.

It's Kasane (or Vic Falls)-Kubu Island-Nxai Pan-Maun doable in 5 days or am I cramming too much, maybe I should skip Kubu...

Why not do kasane, then Nxai pan 2 days, down to CKGR were you can restock at Nata from kasane - go to ckgr, back to the cutline to maun and then the mikoro trip and fligth over the delta - it is a circle and may be then you see swamps, bushes - and also saltpans aswell as desert -

Ok, i see there's a lot of info on what to do and where to get stuff, but how to do it i have to add here. First of all, you can have an open itinerary, or a semi open one yes. But carry your currency in cash as most establishments out in the bushes do not have credit card facilities, and those are actually the cheapest and nicest ones out there because not a lot of people will be using them and they are sure to be the wildest and most laid back (now i sound like an advert for these guys). What I'm trying to say is, the bigger, more established lodging places will mostly be fully booked, so you can rely on the smaller establishments for when your itinerary is open.

And entering the CKGR, you have to have a tough vehicle, and even tougher nerves to endure the adventure........

EARTH FIRST!! We'll screw up the other planets later!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muzungu View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

Just one correction, we'll fly to Maun from Jo'burg, so the self-drive itinerary starts at Maun, not in Jo'burg, my mistake, I'm afraid I did not make it clear on the itinerary.

It's Kasane (or Vic Falls)-Kubu Island-Nxai Pan-Maun doable in 5 days or am I cramming too much, maybe I should skip Kubu...
    Kasane-Kubu-Nxai Pan-Maun?!?! It is doable in 5 days, but only if your main aim is to beat time. But I'd advice you just take your time and do it in 7 instead. That way you'd be in a perfectly good postion to enjoy all that nature can give you...........

EARTH FIRST!! We'll screw up the other planets later!!!

T.J. x 2

Remember you are on honeymoon not the Dakar

For CKGR best to book ahead at Bigfoot safaris, they then calculate the park entry fees as well which you can pay at any pay-points with DWNP.

Try avoiding going to Maun several times, but look for a round trip instead.
    Provisioning points for food and drinks:
    Kasane, Nata, Gweta.
    If you pass though Lelhakane after Kubu island this is a good proviso point, then follow to Mopipi - Rakops and into CKGR from there (Matswere gate)
    Out on the Cut-linr to Kuki corner and back to Maun on Tar.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Default Botswana May-June 2010

Muzungu,

How about a trip report of your Botswana Adventure

Yes, what happened to the trip report here?

RSG
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

Hi Muzungu,

Did you make it back, or are you still enjoying an extended honeymoon??

Lampies, I think Muzungu is lost in Spain, but I fear his honeymoon ended somewhere in the Kalahari. Quite a bold move to come to remote places in Africa with a European wife. But Muzungu, tell us we are speculating wrong. RSG
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

Jaaaa Boet

I once got lost in France!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampies vd Baai View Post
    I once got lost in France!!!
    Where? Disneyland?
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------