Which off road caravan or off road trailer is the best?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which off road caravan or off road trailer is the best?

Article from Experience Africa - October Newsletter.
    Ngonyama Camper Rentals and the Ngonyama Jurgens Safari Club
    [email protected]

WHICH OFF ROAD CARAVAN or OFF ROAD TRAILER IS THE BEST?

This is the most FAQ [frequently asked question] we receive. Clients ask our opinion about caravans and trailers before buying and rent different types before buying.

The most debated subject around the campfire [good humouredly mostly] is the question of Land Cruiser versus Landrover. With so many loyal owners of these products around, you do not get a conclusive answer. The same applies to our question. Magazines rely on the advertising income they get from manufacturers and when they do these “comparisons”, only the products of their advertisers are considered and therefore this question will always remain debatable.

When we started our rental business, no manufacturer was willing to provide us with an off-road caravan or off-road trailer to “test” it for rental purposes. We heard the biased views of the manufacturers why they deemed their product the best in the market. To us the real test lies in “Bush testing” where we take these off-road caravans and off-road trailers on one of our standard safari routes: the real test also is not how nice a fridge works, or how fast you could erect its tent, or how easy it is to operate the kitchen – no sir, although all these elements are important, it is more important to know whether the chassis will hold or the suspension or the A-frame or will the construction hold etc? These factors will determine whether you will be able to bring back [or “recover”] your trailer or caravan when it breaks in the bush. We do not dash through the bush or overload these caravans or trailers when we test it - we prefer not to go and recover trailers or caravans with inherent defects in its design or workmanship and will much rather acquire an unit that is durable and reliable.

Our motto then, and it still applies today, is that we are looking for a product that is reliable, durable, and rentable and must be backed by service excellence.

What are the features we look at when we decide to acquire a new off-road caravan or trailer? Here are a couple of examples:

The price: do we get value for money? Coupled with this, we ask the question whether the unit will have good resale value after 12-18 months.

If a caravan or trailer fails in “Deepest Africa”, will the manufacturer back us up with service and support?
    What does it cost us to maintain and service a caravan or trailer – at what stage would it need a major overhaul and replace parts or components? This also applies to the cost of spare parts.

Tests conducted under controlled conditions differ from “field” or “bush” testing. We like to test products ourselves.
    At the business or practical side we look at the following:
    The chassis and undercarriage system:

i.
    How is it constructed? What is used: straight bars with minimum welding, or just a plain A-frame or a “ladder” type chassis with many welding points or a “bolt” type chassis?

ii.
    How is the welding or fixing points doen? Is it “over welded” or bolted on?

iii.
    What type of suspension is used and how is the shock that traveling over uneven-, and very importantly, that sand and other surfaces produce, absorbed and handled by the suspension.

iv.
    What type of axle is used and what is the rating of the axle.

v.
    How is it braked? We prefer units with brake-assisting systems. Is the braking system likely to cause overheating when traveling down mountains? Is that overheating going to cause a likely seizure of the wheel bearings?

vi.
    Are the spring system and shock absorbers correctly installed?

vii.
    Is the hand brake system effective?

viii.
    How does the jockey wheel handle – can women or elderly people do it on their own? As a matter of fact, what is the ease of use for women, children and elderly people?

The electrics:

i. Does the model come out with a battery and power management system?
    ii. How many batteries does it have and what type is it?
    iii. Is the battery charging system effective?
    iv. How many lights and electrical appliances will be used with the model?
    v. What type of fridge does it have, and how long would that fridge run on the system’s battery pack?

The interior and sleeping arrangements – these speak for themselves. We look at the finishing touches and packing space.
    The water supply and plumbing. We specifically look at the ease of use of the geyser and shower system.
    The size: whether it is an off-road caravan or trailer it is important to take in consideration how many people will it sleep, are the end-users young or elderly persons, what is its weight and is it easy to setup?

The kitchen: does it have cooking facilities. Is the layout user friendly and is every utensil close at hand? Does it have a table?
    How many times a year will it be used and for how long? How long will it stand in storage, as this has cost implications for service or maintenance.

Apart from the above, choosing an off-road caravan or trailer for personal or private use we think you should consider the following as well:

How many people must it cater for?
    How many times a year will it be used?
    Where and when and how often will the unit need to be serviced?
    Will you need special rims for the wheels or will plain white rims suffice?
    What extras must be added to the unit – and most importantly, you should ask yourself the question whether it is a necessity or “a nice to have?” In this respect items like showers, shower cubicles, fridges, battery packs, side tents, tables, chairs, stoves, gas bottles, water tanks etc comes to mind.
    Towing vehicle: consider the GVM ratio.

Notwithstanding the above criteria the choice of an off-road caravan or trailer is still a personal choice, hence the debate shall continue around the campfire.

Default Re: Which off road caravan or off road trailer is the best?

So what is the results of the test?

The most rediculous report I ever saw was one done by these people from Ngoyama rentals when they took the Pajeros and the caravans to the Makgadigadi pans - and showed he the braced the broken chassis with a branch ans some racthet starps. Why they ever published "negative" publicity like this I cannot understand.

If I ever took my products out to show how good they are, and they break, I will shut the trip down, improve them, come back, and do a second run, where hopefully nothing will break
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

Have a look in the new Caravan & Outdoor on page 68, one of the Jurgens/Ngonyama caravans wheels came off (drum and all). I am getting worried with these caravans on the road.

Hannes
    [SIGPIC]
    Nelspruit (Mbombela)
    2015 Pajero Sport - Shogun
    2009 Triton 2.5 DiD 4x4 - (EGR blanked off and DPF ("CAT") removed - )
    Echo 1 Trailer & Howling Moon Trailer Tent
    VHF - 4x4Com - 1047 / 29 Mhz - ZRB 4759

So what is the verdict (after all these years)?

Really good pointers Dirk, would love to see the opinions.

Other than the Echo Kavango, Conquerer Commander and the 4 Jurgens models, what manufacturers and models are there (worth considering)?

Gaan kyk by "big boys" hulle maak die Inyathi wat ook nogal oulik lyk

Ja-nee ou pel, nou hoe lank is n stukkie tou nou? Of watter 3L diesel bakkie is nou die beste? Toyota, Izusu of Ford.

Ek se altyd 'n mens moet eerstens kyk na waarde vir geld. - wat kry jy, vir wat jy betaal en wat kry jy as jy dit weer verkoop. Kwaliteit is gewoonlik duurder.

DWS: Gaan kyk altyd na die pryse waarteen agente soortgelyke 2de handse karavane verkoop en wat die verkoopsprys vir die karavaan was toe dit nuut was. Ons kry die "Caravan & Outdoor" tydskrif al van 2005. Dit is interresant om te sien dat sekere karavane en trailers se waarde eintlik vermeerder het oor die tydperk. DIT se mos al klaar iets.

Tweedens kyk jy dan na smaak (die kosmetiese kant) en in my opinie as jy 'n "nice" mooi karavaan wil he is jy by die verkeerde plek. As jy n 4X4 het en kamp dan kyk jy eers na die "robust" sy van die karavaan en of dit heel anderkant gaan uitkom voor jy na "nice looks" kyk. Dit geld natuurlik nie as jy te veel geld het nie.

Nou ja, ek hoop dit maak sin en miskien help dit darem 1 persoon.

Groete
    DawidA

I started my offroad camping with a offroad trailer fitted with RTT ,full electrics,converted nose cone to fridge/freezer and that worked very well but needed to move on and get more comfortable so bought a Brakhah caravan which had all the bells and whistles in it however it was to big for my wife and we and never used it properly as in the interior for eating etc all our cooking is done outside either on a stove or braai . the next move was the Imagine trailvan which we now have had for 3 years and in my mind this works best for us good packing space comfortable bed and all catering done from outside.. all three trailers / caravans have been to Bots Namibia Malawi Zim and Moz and if treated carefully will never let u down if u do heavy offroad travels either leave the trailer / caravan at the campsite or if u cant travel very slowly over the heavy stuff
    as u can see i got the t shirt and video so have experiencedmost of the offroad camping stuff

Landy Driver Guest

Ek sien Bantam beveel "Big Boys"toeruting aan. Pasop net vir die diens. Hul produkte is nie te sleg nie, maar die diens stink. Hul maak net leë beloftes as dit kom by hul produkte en aflewerings datums.

Ek self is tans op soek na 'n sleepwa. Ons het al na verskeie sleepwaens en bos karavane bekyk, en op die oomblik wen die sleepwaens (hoofsaaklik omdat die baas bietjie engtevrees kry in omtrent al die karavane).

wat dink julle manne van die trailers? dis nou wel nie kamp trailers nie, maar n opinie sal nice wees om te hoor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1332.jpg 
Views:	960 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	45940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1293.jpg 
Views:	877 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	45941  

4ePajero Guest

1. They both seem to be designed to carry bulk rather than weight.
    2. The double axle trailer: Is it a genuine bogey? If not, the weight can be transferred to only one axle, which means that the tyres will have to be rated for each to carry 50% of the GVW.
    3. The second (high) one has very small tyres (and axle?) for such a large trailer. No run-on brakes, either.

the double axle trailer is a workshop trailer, its open @ the back the middle part is full of pull out drawers and work benches on either side and in front is built in racks.
    its built to carry bout 2 tons. the trailer alone comes in @ 1020kg

the alu trailer has a slide out rack the lenght of the trailer and a ajustable rack in th top part. only build to carry remote control aeroplanes. GVM is only 750kg

Ek is die laaste paar weke besig om die BESTE een te soek en my slotsom: Die een wat klaar betaal is !!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bantam View Post
    ek is die laaste paar weke besig om die beste een te soek en my slotsom: Die een wat klaar betaal is !!!
    amen!!!!;d;d;d
    ....the answer is no until you ask.....

Default "off road caravan"

Nee gats, ek hou van n ding of swart of wit, nie grys nie. Dit sal nogals baie lekker wees om iets te lees wat is soos wat dit is en nie wat dit is as dit so moes gewees het nie. Graag hoor ek wat is n aanbeveling vir n "off road caravan" . Ek het n 3.0 diesels 4x4 voertuig. ek salgraag van mense wil hoor wat hierdie ondervinding het.

Ek is 48 en het besluit dit is nou tyd in die lewe om vir my en my geliefde kwaliteit tyd te gee en ek twyfel daar is n beterder manier as om ons mooi land met n 4x4 en n karavaan te verken en die mooi en lekker saam te ervaar. Die lewe is kort, sit die blomme op die tafel terwyl ons kan.

4x4 groete

Herman

Herman ek is so oud soos jy en is klaarblyklik jou buurman . Ek het die laaste jaar gedink en gedroom en baie huiswerk gedoen. Kinders is uit die huis en dit is net ek en SWAMBO. Daar is nie slegte en goeie waens en karavane nie, dit gaan oor wat jou behoeftes pas.Daar is n Beeld buitelug skou die 19 20 en 21 Februarie by Gallagher Estate gaan en kyk na wat op die mark is. Tegnologie verander vinnig en elke jaar word hulle beter en natuurlik duurder. Sterkte en laat weet wat jy besluit dan kan ek jou se wat ek dink. Daar is voordele en nadele met elke produk. Ek kry myne einde Maart en kan nie wag nie

sal beslis n draai daar gaan maak, dankie bantam

Cool Help lesers om beste op mark te kies

Hallo Dirk
    EK weet nie of hierdie forum die korrekte plek is waar ons ons ervarings met 'n sekere "off road caravan" fabritaat moet deel nie, maar ek voel ons moet mense waarsku voor hul dieselfde stel aftrap as ons. Hier karavane is baie duur en die mense word deur artikels aan die neus rond gely.

As ek my storie vir jou kan vertel met foto's, laat weet my asb want ek en my man is raadop en het (soos dit vir ons voel) 185000 rand in die water gegooi.

Ek wag om van jou te hoor.
    Groete
    HasieHop

Ek hoop net nie dit is n conquerer nie
    Mazda BT 50
    2013 auto 3.2 4x4
    (aka Mazdarati)
    Towing our moblie home
    Imagine Comfortvan

Don't get confused between my personality & attitude. My Personality is who I AM, my attitude depends on who YOU are!!!

Nou is ek nuuskierig HasieHop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast