Question on fixtures when moving house!

Default Question on fixtures when moving house!

A quick question with regards to the DsTV dish.

I know when you sold your house, you are not sippose to remove your DsTV dish as it is seen as a fixture of the propoerty. My question now though, i bought another house where i am moving too and will be renting out my current place. IMHO i can do whather ever i want with regards to the dish, i.e. take it down and move it to my new property.

I assume that i am allowed to do so? Any comments will be helpful

JP Marais
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC
    2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8

Previous:
    Navara 4L V6, with some changes

I just started to move into my house yesterday. It is a bank repo so things might be different. The dish was photographed as a fixture I was buying with the house. It was removed so I threoretically have a claim. I would suggest that if you want to remove the dish you must stipulate so to any potential buyer. I think the general rule is that the buyer ASSUMES anything bolted down is part of the deal and you should inform him of it is not or if it is to be taken away.... if things that are bolted down (dish, gates, pool pumps, gazebo, wendy houses, washing lines, etc, etc, etc)are suddenly removed the buyer might only get half of what he thought he was paying for!!
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Hi Gazza

Tnx for the reply, yes i do understand that if the property was sold, it would have have to stay. however, the current property will be rented out (investment prop) and i will move to the new one! so no buyers.

Then moving the dish should not be an issue? but only at my new residence once i have moved it?
    JP Marais
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC

Previous:

Best to leave it - the tenant might want DSTv. With a dish in place they have no excuse for a shoddy installation, which they will then want to remove again when they move.

If you do decide to leave it, take pics in the event it does dissapear with the tenant ...

If I understand it correctly, it is still your house?

Well..... then you can do as you please. Keep it...... take it off....... burn it...... stick it full of Barney stickers....... aaaaaanything your heart desires.......

You can eve take it off and make eggs and bacon in it.....

Unless you promissed the dish to your tennant. Then you have to deliver on your promise.
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Best to leave it - the tenant might want DSTv. With a dish in place they have no excuse for a shoddy installation, which they will then want to remove again when they move.

If you do decide to leave it, take pics in the event it does dissapear with the tenant ...
    I tend to agree with what Chris says. Better leave it. If removed and tenants want DSTV, they'll probably drill now holes in your house for an installation. Might not want the dish at the same spot as your current dish.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Sorry, re-read you first post again... yes, you can move the dish. No house HAS to be rented with a dish. It is also up to you and how you word your landlord/tenant agreement.

You can word it..."teneant may put up a dish but it has to remain when the tenant leaves"

OR

"tenant may put up a dish and remove it when he leaves on condition the damage is repaired TO THE LANDLRDS SATISFACTION". Should the damage not be repaired then the landlord reserves the right to make repairs and bill the tenant or use part or all of the deposit to do so".
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

I am no rental expert...... but last I heard, you can now take your dish with you when you sell your house. It is NOT seen as a fixture.

Also, if you rent, you can install the dish and take it with you afterwards legally.

....but that what I heard...... not read in a formal contract.......
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

sapper Guest

As it is your property i would say you can do whatever you like,but to keep the landlord/tenant relations on the positive side rather come to a WRITTEN agreement (not verbal) about the dish to prevent later damage to your property like mentioned in above posts

If you're gonna rent it out it's only adding value to the perceived 'deal'? to your advantage to leave it there, just document it properly (along with the rest of the place) and make em sign an agreement to leave it as they found it!

thanx for all the responses, i would have to agree that leaving it will make more sense ("Better deal, and cost of repairs") but then again, if they move in with their own dish, it might be a shlep for them as the current unit is very small and space limited

Perhaps indicate that where they are allowed to install the dish. It is also however on the common property of the complex!!!
    JP Marais
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC

Previous:

if they have their own decoder they can use your dish, will save them missioning to plak a new one on there. Besides, wouldn't they then have to steal the dish from their old place?

Well Jason, that would be interesting. If it is true that the dish is not seen as a fixture as jd mentioned, i don't have to worry then: they can just use the current holes if the mounting bracket is the same!

Another question though: who did it or know of somebody that sold their property and still removed the dish! I know of a few people who did it as they did not want to spend money on buying a new dish
    JP Marais
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC

Previous: