Hummer Owners are you happy? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lots of ignorance about the Hummer, a dam fine vehicle i thinks.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Default H3 tow data

Hi Stevh0/Johan

Sorry for the delay. Hectic weekend!

I bought my H3 Nov last year, and have already towed my Xplorer to Moz and back during our 5 week vacation this month. I am more than satisfied with my HUMMERís performance. When I initially test drove the V8 H3 model (more than once!), I also took a the 3.7 models for some extended drives to compare the power gain in the V8 vs price difference with the 3.7 to judge for myself if the extra +-200K charged for the V8 is really worthwhile. I even convinced one salesman to allow me a tow test using my Xplorer! (I donít think his boss knew)

Having driven my 4.4 V8 Range Rover, I can honestly say that IMHO the 3.7 H3 is also capable of doing the same job. Even though the V8 is obviously more powerful, the 3.7 still manages to tow my Xplorer at a constant 100-110km/h. Uphill it does lose some speed, but the gearbox happily kicks back and the 3.7 manages to maintain speed. The drawback of this is increased fuel consumption, but can be improved by maintaining a lower towing speed of 90km/h. This is obviously the safer towing option as well...

Towing at 115km/h, even SWAMBO riding shotgun, could feel that the rig was 100% more stable, comparing when I towed the Xplorer laden with the exact same weight using my í06 Prado 4.0 petrol last year also to Mozambique.

The Xplorer was fully laden with 5 weekís worth of groceries, Ďrefreshmentsí, 100lt water tank filled, 2 x National Luna fridges filled with meat etc, and tipped the scales at the maximum allowed weight just under 1600kg! And still I had to be careful to not exceed the speed limit of 120km/h on level highway driving when the cruise control wasnít activated! Highway consumption when towing the 1600kg was 4.8km/l, and increased to 4.2km/l when the HUMMER and Xplorer tyres were deflated to 1.0 bar and driven through the thick/deep sand in Moz. This when my 4.4 V8 Range Rover only managed to get 4.1km/l in normal city driving (granted, I do drive with a heavy right foot...). The H3 gets 7.5km/l city driving (using the same heavy right foot).

Comparing comfort, Iíd say the Prado was best, with the Range Rover strangely last on our list. (My wife hated the poor RR - it just never really grew on her). I had a back operation 2 years ago, and I drove all the way from Moz to Pta last week without my back & but feeling like it had been strapped to a bulldozer travelling on a rail track. So, Iím happy with the H3ís cabin and comfort.

The model I bought was the 3.7lt Adventure. And thatís also the model Iíd recommend if you want to go off-roading. Personally I donít think the Rand/Kw gain for the V8 H3 is worth it. The Adventure model comes standard with dual Diff-lock, where the Luxury model gets Ďonlyí rear Diff-lock. Both models come standard with Low Range. As far as I know, Base models are not sold any longer, so you can only go for one of these two options. The only other difference between the two is the interior spec level. What I did was to buy the Adventure model which has the better off-road capability, and then added as optional items all the luxury items that the ĎLuxuryí model gets as standard. Now I have the best of both...

ps.KiloBravo, jy gooi nou ons naam weg broer! wys eerder n pic van daai X5 BM wat ook so ge'strech' is...
    U-Turn Infinity

Rooi Piet, What is your fuel consumption open road @ 140kph?
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Stevh0 View Post
    Rooi Piet, What is your fuel consumption open road @ 140kph?
    Honestly don't know. First time I took it on the long road was towing the caravan. I'm on my way to Warmbad in a few minutes. Will measure and let you know this afternoon.

Anyone know of speed trapping on the N1 today?
    U-Turn Infinity

haha!

reason I ask is that I often creep just over the speedlimit on the open road.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertLeon View Post
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    To me, there are few vehicles that have such an awesome appeal. Select in low range and after the customary jump when it engages hear the magnificent whine of the gearbox in low range going through its paces. Pure pleasure!!!
    Enjoy your amazing H3!

Herewith a pic or two...
    Hi DesertLeon.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun there with your H3!

Cool pics you've got as well! Any chance I can get copies if you've got full screen size pics?
    U-Turn Infinity

haha!
    reason I ask is that I often creep just over the speedlimit on the open road.

Like I said, I also have a heavy right foot!

Will let you know this pm what the result is.
    U-Turn Infinity

Default H3 Pics

Piet, No probs let me know where you want me to send this. I will dig around for some of the rally pics as well.

kom piet, daai h3 kannie so lig op sous wees dat jy meer as n dag vat om hom leeg te ry nie.

hoe lyk daai petrol figure?

Ek is nou self nuuskierig....
    DesertLeon

Just fascinated by trains, planes and automobiles....

kom piet, daai h3 kannie so lig op sous wees dat jy meer as n dag vat om hom leeg te ry nie.

hoe lyk daai petrol figure?
    Hi Stevh0 & DesertLeon
    Ek is sopas terug van Warmbad...
    Kom ek vertel julle; destyds toe ek my SIIA Landy gery het met sy 2 1/4lt petrol enjin, moes ek altyd meet hoe ver ek gaan kan ry, gebasseer op hoeveel petrol ek ingooi. Kom ek verduidelik: Die 'speedometer' en petrol gauge het in 12jaar nooit gewerk nie. Maar dit was maklik om te weet hoe ver ek kon ry met n tenk petrol juis omdat die Landy op daai stadium toe petrol nog goedkoop was, presies een kilometer kon ry op R1 se petrol... So, R50 = 50km. en dit was 1985

Nou met die HUMMER; wel om eerlik te wees... met 2010 se petrol prys, is ons soortvan terug op dieselfde formule. Verskil is net dat ek nou heelwat vinniger by punt B kan uitkom, en actually die radio kan hoor terwyl die aircon sy werk doen. Met die HUMMER se vaartbelynde bakwerk an uitstekende windweerstand kry ek soortvan 7.9km/l teen 120km/h. So nie veel verskil tussen 'highway and city driving' nie (nie op my manier nie anyway). Teen 140km/h help die windweerstand nie veel vir beter brandstof verbruik nie, en raak sy erg dors -> 6.5km/l.

So daar het julle dit nou... verskil so effe van die 'official' figures.
    Last edited by RooiPiet; 2010/02/23 at 11:29 PM.
    U-Turn Infinity

I have a 2009 3.7 adventure and am very happy with it. All though we've only taken it into the bush twice I have no regrets with its off-road capabilities. In fact i'm very impressed with it.

Regarding fuel consumption - we're getting about 7 - 7.5 km/l (in town)

So far there have been no problems with it at all, granted it only has 8000 km on the clock.

Iíve not been reading the forum much of late as I got fed up reading the same old dribble about L/R, Toyota, Nissan and so on and nothing of interest to me, Iíve only just seen this post so decided to throw in my spanner.

You either love or hate the Hummer, I love mine, and as far as standard 4x4 goes itís as capable as any standard 4x4, itís all about what you want to use it for. I enjoy the comfort and ride, its has a disadvantage to the older 4x4 with its IFS but that is a sign of the times, people want more comfort and you donít get it from a solid front axle.

If you want more you donít buy a 4x4 you build a 4x4, and that is exactly what Iíve done!

I drive a pretty capable H3 that can take on most types of terrain, I canít get over the IFS problem and will live with that because I know I drive my H3 in comfort with a smile.

Iíve also had my fair share of breakageís but anyone that drives a modified 4x4 knows that can happen to the best, but I can add Iíve had no problem with warranty claims, GM and Reeds N1 city have been fantastic, I basically said ďIíve modified my H3 so I donít have to push is so hard, with out the modifications Iíll keep breaking itĒ and that was that!

This is what Iíve doneÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

Cabin Upgrade
    Kenwood DDX8034B Dual Din DVD Player
    Infinity 1200w Sub

Suspension Upgrade
    Daystar leveling kit to raise the front and level it to the back, torsion key was changed.
    Daystar 2Ē Body Lift
    Rear Shackles made locally to raise the back by another 1Ē

I then turned up the torsion key to lift the front another 1Ē
    All told a 4Ē Lift without having to do a load of stuff like in the Rancho Kit.
    I have 4Ē extra ground clearance to a standard H3.
    Rancho RS9000:- all round but front shocked had to be extended
    Rancho My Ride System:- This allows for wireless control of shock firmness, for on road and off road, massive improvement over the standard shocks.

Tyre Upgrade
    35 Micky Tompson Baja ATZ

Micky Tompson 16 Classic II Rims, the tyres are great for off road but the bigger wheels hit the engine performance by 20%

Engine Upgrade
    Because of the drop in power I then changed the following: -
    Air Raid performance filter
    Air Raid throttle body spacer
    Powerflow twin Exhaust system

Wild Cat manifold, this made a massive difference.

A standard H3 3.5lt has 330Nm torque
    Mine currently stands at 373Nm torque which is only 13% over standard but putting the 35Ē wheels on dropped it to 302Nm torque, changing the manifold gave it an increase of 24% and 71Nm torque
    A standard H3 3.5lt is 180kW at the fly wheel, mine is 201kW at the drive wheels, once again the manifold made the biggest difference adding 34kW

The air filter, throttle body spacer and Powerflow Exhaust system added 10kW and 14Nm torque but Iím sure the Exhaust allowed for more once the manifold had been done.

Iíve just ordered the Jet Performance plug and play stage 2 chip which should add another 10%.

Other Upgrades
    While doing the exhaust system I had it routed down the centre of the H3, this created a space where I fitted an extra 65lt fuel tank under right rear seat, home made total now 150lt and 1000km range.
    Ladder protection system underneath was removed as I found that always caught rocks I had made up a complete skin that helps it slid over rocks and sand.

4 x KC spots on roof bar.

Final thing to do is, install ARB front and rear air lockers, I need the front locker to help control the extra torque and bigger wheels, already broken 1 tie rod.

Also going to replace the standard read diff lock for an ARB locker so it can be switched on in 4 High, then its finished.

I have one mean purpose built 4x4 off road Hummer H3!!

Watch this clip part 3, 4mins 30s in to the video and see how a standard Disco fails to make it up an extreamly difficault rock trail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1Iy_norgk

An then watch clip 4 and see how my H3 gets me where I want to go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBDd5...eature=related

I can assure you in the cabin it did not feal as rough as it looks..........

Love it or hate it, at least those who own one will always be pretty unique as they no longer manufacture them

I've always been one that likes to be more unique!

I‘m glad the sale didn't go through to the Chinese but I've heard it was never going to happen anyway, there’s also been other deals presented from US companies and still they said no, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that GM have said they will support the product for 10yrs and I've done lots of research while doing my mods to know there is a massive market in the US that isn't just going to die....

I'd put money on the fact that GM didn't want it going elsewhere and the sale was just to appease the situation at the time, we all know where not out the woods yet but only time will tell.

However, GM has had record sales on the H3 recently because of adverse weather conditions and I wouldn't be surprised to see the brand come back when they have a more environmentally friendly offering.

There is still a lot of value in the Brand name and lets face it our GDP doesn’t come close to that of the US….

Hi Mailsurf.

Welcome back! I aggree 100% with your sentiments that the Hummer brand won't simply vanish of our (and US) roads overnight (much to the horror of some members that may have wished as much )

Did you import all your suspension goodies?
    U-Turn Infinity

Hi RooePiet,

Lots of hours researching product and all of it I brought over myself, although Rancho is now available in SA.

If you want info on any of the mods I did, contact me on [email protected]

Enjoy your Hummer as I do!

now the v8 with twin lockers pulls me....
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I'm very happy after the fun I had in the dunes this weekend.

I did get into one bit of trouble, dropped my nose over the edge of a dune and knew I had a problem with a mound at the bottom that was straight in front of me. Went into a V-Shape at the bottom of the dune and just couldn't find the traction to power out the obstical!!!

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CqaMUdSVKk

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUzxMg57lY

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmLG8ZKBVc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast