Where are all the 4x4's playing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where are all the 4x4's playing?

It's that time of the week where I wish it was the weekend to go play! The biggest hurdle to get over is deciding where to go. Bass lake is closed due to rain and I could do it blindfolded,Berakah,the same- I've done to death,Chloorkop the same old,Hennops-never been but is it a bit of a challenge? I need a trail with a rating 3 up, to get this Scotsmans thick blood pumping.The bloods thick,not the Scotsman. De Wildt-Engel might klap my as ek my moffie knoppie gebruik? Bosvark,Heidelberg-again?
    Where to go in a two hour radius of Jhb? I enjoy the Drakensberg/Malutis but too far and too many roads.Old Mill-closed,whats left? Rebellie too far,see what I mean!
    There's thousands of 4x4's around,where do they go play,or do they?
    Would they allow me on a golf course? They do have sand bunkers
    A legend in his own mind

Default Groenkloof

Wazungu and I are looking at doing Groenkloof on Saturday morning, probably leaving Lonehill/Midrand around 9:30ish. 1 x Hilux and 1 x Pajero.

Check these out;

http://www.suzuki4x4gp.co.za/

and

http://www.tshwane.gov.za/groenkloof.cfm
    Cheers

D

=======================================
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 Pentastar

1967 MGB GT

I think Crips was talking about going there, is the water deeper now? Think I'll phone Groenkloof tomorrow,looks good!
    A legend in his own mind

Hi Rob

The Hennops route is rated 2-4
    Maybe check out their website and have a look at the photo gallery?
    http://www.hennops.co.za
    Should give you a indication on wheter or not it needs "testing"

Since you haven't been there yet maybe we should go?
    There is quite a few places to play in the mud as well?

Cheers
    Last edited by Crips; 2010/01/27 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    Hi Rob

The Hennops route is rated 2-4
    Maybe check out their website and have a look at the photo gallery?
    http://www.hennops.co.za
    Should give you a indication on wheter or not it needs "testing"

Since you haven't been there yet maybe we should go?
    There is quite a few places to play in the mud as well?

Cheers
    To be honest Hennops Off-road is way to expensive for what you get - Hennops Pride might be fun with all the rain if you’re willing to try the section at the river.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Hennops is R180
    Bosvark is R150
    Berakah is R225
    de Wildt is R160

I think as far as price is concerned it's on par with the rest.
    And you get a map which is readable and you know where you are and where you are going to.
    You also get free entrance to the picnic area which includes a pool.

That's just my personal experience, I have only been to hennops, bosvark and Dibibeng mountain trail so I don't have a lot to comapare it to.

Maybe you can suggest more places so we can go and test them?
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Hey Bob. Hennops Pride is pricey for what you get, but a good challenge.
    Hennops trail after lots of rain is not too bad.
    Dewildt, main trail is very easy, but I do hear the new section is a challenge.
    You could always come to Chimes. There are quite a few trails there now that rate from 3 to 5+, with plenty terrain types, mud, sand, rock, water, inclines, declines, side slopes, you name it!
    Nissan Terrano 2 LWB 2.7TDi - 2" lift - BFG KM2

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    Hennops is R180
    Bosvark is R150
    Berakah is R225
    de Wildt is R160

I think as far as price is concerned it's on par with the rest.
    And you get a map which is readable and you know where you are and where you are going to.
    You also get free entrance to the picnic area which includes a pool.

That's just my personal experience, I have only been to hennops, bosvark and Dibibeng mountain trail so I don't have a lot to comapare it to.

Maybe you can suggest more places so we can go and test them?
    With the rain - Digger Hole R100.00 and cross the river on all the points ... not when it's dry, then it's no fun.

R180.00 feels expensive all thats really there is a couple of cross axles and the last climb which can be done in a terrios.

De Wildt is a good idea with all the rain you can try Hermans new "rocky road" should be good and they have better braai facilities (imo)
    Last edited by DefenderBender; 2010/01/27 at 12:48 PM.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

So we're either going to Chimes,De Wildt,Hennops or Digger Hole(where's that?)
    But they must be absolutely packed out with 4x4's otherwise where are they allGuess what? Now I need to test rear shocks,eventually I got some after everybody else ordering me some which never materialised! Safari Centre ,4x4Mega,SAC-promises promises- useless don't they understand what customer service is?
    Then Cliff at Barker performance GAVE me a pair of his competition shocks- external cylinder ones! Custom jobs! He tried to get a set of his Bilsteins to fit but too short.They need bushes which I already got and a whiff of nitro,now to fit and TEST!
    So I'm ready to go!!!
    A legend in his own mind

was at hennops on Sunday... it's nice but not too challenging...
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...&postcount=387

i do agree with people saying it's too pricey for what you get ... basslake rules
    Live without limits

Ahaa! So somebody else was out playing last sunday. Bass lake was closed due to the rain-doubt it's back open,but it's another place I can drive around without a map and it can be expensive if you take passengers.they charge per head-the rest of your body is free!
    A legend in his own mind

I could do this weekend. De wildt, BUT only if we skip the KIDDIES section and go straight to the new section.

Sunday or Saturday BOB?
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Swambo is arriving home on saturday(with my snorkel and dislocation cones) then she leaves again next week- so I'de better be here when she arrives,so sunday for me unless it rains and everybody else cancels?
    Top tip;don't shine your tyres in rainy season.
    A legend in his own mind

Sunday then, anybody else?

What time? i HAVE to go to church (OK i WANT to go to church) first, i may only get there at 11ish.

up for a braai and a beer afterwards?
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Found a lot of 4x4's today,12 sluice gates were opened on the Vaal dam and I'm downstream! The water is about 500m away from me now. Heard it on the news,so feeling adventurous I jumped in my Landy and off I went,plenty of 4x4's,all at the waters edge taking pics and polishing their tyres. There are plenty of open fields around Three Rivers which were swamped,diff lock,low engaged-Tally Ho!!!
    I was the only one Not one 4x4 joined in the fun
    Next thing a Condor 4x4 approached me lights flashing-cops,I knew them and they wanted to know if I would follow them across the bridge over the Klip River in case they got stuck.HUUUUGE pleasure
    Got to the other side no prob,everybody watching and then I turned around and went back,NOBODY followed!The traffic past my house was like a saturday morning,everybody going to see the floods-but nobody playing.
    I still would like to know where do the 4x4s play?
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderBender View Post
    With the rain - Digger Hole R100.00 and cross the river on all the points ... not when it's dry, then it's no fun.

R180.00 feels expensive all thats really there is a couple of cross axles and the last climb which can be done in a terrios.

De Wildt is a good idea with all the rain you can try Hermans new "rocky road" should be good and they have better braai facilities (imo)

Riverwild 4x4 trail (close to sudwala caves in lowveld) is now R300!!!
    Is this madness, or is everything just overprised in the lowveld?!!
    Are there better value-for-money trails avaialable in lowveld? (I hope so!)

It can be a expensive dayetrol,entry fee,food ,drinks,vehicle maintenance, never mind tyre wear or if you are damaged. I do understand why trail owners charge, they do have to maintain the trail,number the paths,print maps,advertise,staff etc But I've yet to go on a trail where all the above are carried out.The best retail I've experienced was at Bosvark,freshly cooked food-a braai already lit for you to use. But I think they have a golden oppertunity with a passive audience,they should have basic spares for sale,ropes,shackles,T shirts etc They could do some good business,especially if they combined sales with a 'normal' retail outlet such as one of the big outdoor stores,but they would have to do some work then hey? Imagine how much tyre shine they would sell? But the trails are mostly empty. Except for ME.
    By the way I have a thing about tyre shine as a while ago somebody wouldn't do any of the more demanding trails for fear of getting his vehicle dirty-why bother going on a trail then?......I miss some of the obstacles through fear! AND I use whitewash as my rubber is peeling leaving white rubber showing-- HANKOOK TYRES.
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Found a lot of 4x4's today,12 sluice gates were opened on the Vaal dam and I'm downstream! The water is about 500m away from me now. Heard it on the news,so feeling adventurous I jumped in my Landy and off I went,plenty of 4x4's,all at the waters edge taking pics and polishing their tyres. There are plenty of open fields around Three Rivers which were swamped,diff lock,low engaged-Tally Ho!!!
    I was the only one Not one 4x4 joined in the fun
    Next thing a Condor 4x4 approached me lights flashing-cops,I knew them and they wanted to know if I would follow them across the bridge over the Klip River in case they got stuck.HUUUUGE pleasure
    Got to the other side no prob,everybody watching and then I turned around and went back,NOBODY followed!The traffic past my house was like a saturday morning,everybody going to see the floods-but nobody playing.
    I still would like to know where do the 4x4s play?
    Where's the Pitjars Bob??
    89 110 V8

A closed mouth gathers no foot

Pitjars? That's not Gaelic? You've got me there?
    Our house is surrounded with water! I've got my own watercourse but my snorkel only arrives tomorrow!
    Major issue- I haven't got a job that I can phone in and say I can't get to work!
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Pitjars? That's not Gaelic? You've got me there?
    Ok.

Let's try this "cinmhioladh" Or "dealbh"

Hee Hee
    89 110 V8

A closed mouth gathers no foot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast