2006 3,0 TD Hardbody 4x4 fuel starvation

Default 2006 3,0 TD Hardbody 4x4 fuel starvation

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and i hope someone can help me . I own a 2006 3,0 TD 4x4 Hardbody, going down to knysna in early january i filled up with diesel in Colesberg Engen. On arriving in knysna i drove around until the tank was close to empty and filled up again in Plettenberg Bay. Just before i filled up i was going up a steep hill when i felt a jerk as if the bakkie was running out of fuel . I stopped at a garage and filled her up and since then my bakkie has been acting as though there is a fuel starvation problem. On arriving in JHB i had my bakkie serviced and the agents (East Rand Mall Nissan) replaced both diesel filters . This did not help as the jerking continued . What is strange is that the jerking only starts above 2500 rpm when under presure (pulling off from a traffic light or going up hill). can someone please help, i am going to Botswana end March and need the bakkie to be 100%.

Regards,

I have no idea if your bakkie has this, but the Ford 2.5 TD has a strainer on the inlet side of the fuel pump which is not a service item and not mentioned in any manual. When it clogs it gives the symptoms you describe.

If you remove the pipe from the fuel filter to the pump, at the pump end, the strainer can be seen. Pop it out and clean it.
    If you don't have this strainer then I'm afraid I don't know.

I have the same bakkie with perhaps similar simptoms. When going up a hill at speeds above 2500 with an open throttle the engine loses power. Not every hill, only when it is quite steep. When revs drop or gears are changed to allow a smaller throttle opening power is restored. This is frustrating and dangerous when overtaking uphill.
    I have tried to replicate the situation on a dyno without success. I am not sure that the dyno simulates enough "up-hill", and perhaps therefore the problem does not want to show.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I have taken my bakkie back to Nissan ERM according to Brendon the service manager there is a air leak on the system. Brendon will do the necesary tests and get back to me. The Nissan does not have any strainers on the fuel line nor on the pick up in the tank (As per Brendon).

Will let you know the outcome.

Default 2006 3,0 Hardbody 4x4 fuel starvation

Problem solved,

There is apparently a sensor on the gearbox that sends information to the ECU that tells the ECU if the vehicle is in gear or not, if the information sent tells the unit that the vehicle is out of gear then the ECU reduces fuel flow to the motor.

Sensor replaced at R420-00 fitting included.

All is well.

Default Nissan Hardbody feul starvation

Hi everyone:
    I too have the Hardbody D/Cab 4x4 diesel. Done 110 000km and had the same problem. Nobody could help, SAC suggested I take the vehicle to J E G Diesel. They advised about the "Nuetral" switch in the gear box. Changed this, part costs R286.94 and problem solved 100%.

does the petrol HBs also have that sensor?
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

I would presume so, the petrol and TD drive train should be the same.

Over the week end my speedo stopped working, when i got underneath i found that the Nissan guys had bumped the speedo sensor wires and one wire had come loose, joined the wire to the sensor and all is well again.

The speedo sensor and the and the neutral sensor are close to each other on the right hand side of the gearbox close to the transfer case. Difficult to get to when the vehicle is not on a lift.

Cheers,

Kaboubus Guest

My Hardbody has loss of power, but no jerking when driven long distance. Also does anyone experince shuddering when accelerating under load in 5th?

Filter needing replacement or dirt in water trap? Even dirty diesel, I try to only use BP or Shell.

Shuddering may be worn prop shaft universal joints or prop carrier bearing worn, depending on mileage.

"loss of power" can also be a faulty MAF sensor..amongst a list of other things..
    14' Land Cruiser 76 V8
    Ex.
    03' Defender 90 Td5
    02' Defender 90 Td5
    06' Jeep Wrangler 4.0 TJ
    98' Hilux DC 2.4 Raider

Swambo
    09 Audi TT 2.0 TSFI Manual
    68' Beetle 1500

Kaboubus Guest

After pouring water on the diesel pump at a Free State garage, all power was restored for about 20km. Bosch Diesel recons it is the head assy that leaks, and needs an overhaul at 16k. Any comments?

16k is heavy, shop around for a second or even a third opinion,

When i had my problem as set out in my first thread SAC suggested a recon of the fuel system, it turned out to be a R400-00 sensor.

What purpose does this "neutral switch" serve? At say R450 to replace, how much fuel must be saved by reducing fuel supply whilst not in gear before R450 has been spent in fuel wastage not having such a monitor? Why not just short circuit it to tell the unit it is in gear irrespective?
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.