Route from Kruger Nat Park to Vilanculos

Post Route from Kruger Nat Park to Vilanculos

Did anyone recently travelled on the road between the Kruger National Park and Vilanculos? Travelling from Pretoria, it seems that Louis Trichardt, Pafuri, Mapai, Mabote, Vilanculos is the best option. If not, any suggestions and what is the condition of the road, once you crossed the border to Mozi?
    Abrie Smith

Abrie,
    Did the trip in Dec, Not Pafuri to Mapai though as water was flowing, not taking risk with trailers.

Mapai to Mabote is mostly soft sand but no serious issues, a 2x4 with diff would easily make it we probably went at between 10 and 40km/h. Mabote to EN1 just outside Vilanculos is wide red sand, ruts can cause a bit of alarm at times but otherwise fine, you could easily do 70km/h if no trailer.

Check water levels of Limpopo first - Henris may be able to give some info on this

Also check out other threads - quite a bit of info in there
    07 Kia Sorento 2.5 EX
    09 Yamaha Waverunner VX
    10 BMW 1200GS Adv
    04 Yamaha TW200
    02 Mariner 25 Rubber Duck
    11 Trailer to carry IT ALL!

Abrie,
    when you planning on going?
    We will leave Jo'burg on the 29th/Jan, going to Balule/Kruger and will cross into Moz via Letaba. Then up to Mapai if weather and road conditions permit. In case the water flow and level of the Limpopo permits we will cross. Since the chance is very slim to cross we have the option to divert South from there in order cross the Limpopo further South.
    I am not sure, but I believe at this time of the year it can be tricky to ask people about road conditions etc since it can change very quickly. At least you should plan a few alternatives into your travel plans when traveling this time of the year!
    So our only fixed waypoint is Balule/Kruger and then we got 5 days to make it to Inhambane.

/
    Nobbi

Thanks, I agree that Letaba to Mapai seems to be the better option. We don't have a definate date but we did Namib Desert in Dec 2008 and West Coast Dec 2009, so I'm considering various options for Dec 2010. We haven't been to Mozi's for the past three years and Inhambane was the most northern part we've been to, so Vilanculos seems a good option but I don't want to go via Maputo. It would be great to get your feenback after your trip.
    Abrie Smith

Abrie,

Me, brother and in-laws will be heading out that direction sometime Oct/Nov staying @Vilancoulos for a couple of days, then down to Paindane and properbly to Malangane and Soddies to round of, drop me a mail closer to your deeparture (scuba slang) if you decide to visit Mozie. Wish it was that time already.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbi View Post
    Abrie,
    when you planning on going?
    We will leave Jo'burg on the 29th/Jan, going to Balule/Kruger and will cross into Moz via Letaba. Then up to Mapai if weather and road conditions permit. In case the water flow and level of the Limpopo permits we will cross. Since the chance is very slim to cross we have the option to divert South from there in order cross the Limpopo further South.
    I am not sure, but I believe at this time of the year it can be tricky to ask people about road conditions etc since it can change very quickly. At least you should plan a few alternatives into your travel plans when traveling this time of the year!
    So our only fixed waypoint is Balule/Kruger and then we got 5 days to make it to Inhambane.

/
    Nobbi
    Hi Nobbi
    Have you done your Mozambique trip in February as indicated previously and if so, how was the trip and what route did you took, did you manage to cross the river. Please send me an overview of your trip.
    Abrie Smith

Does anyone have updated info on whether the Limpopo between Mapai and Mabote can be crossed at the moment? I don't mind to pay the locals for their "underwater bridge" if that is the way to go.

Any update would be much appreciated.

bump
    Last edited by jan blom; 2010/05/31 at 07:59 PM.