Namibia advice





Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Namibia advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default Namibia advice

    Hi !

    I am planning a trip in Namibia from the 30th January to the 16th February leaving from Cape Town and arriving in Johannesburg. I have my own 4x4 I drove all the way from Italy and now before driving back I would like to do a few tours in Namibia Botswana and possibly Mozambique.
    I can not find out on this forum or on internet if it is possible to do the desert tour from Lüderitz to Walvis Bay without a tour operator. Does anybody know the answer ??
    Many thanks
    Alfredo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alteraus View Post
    I have my own 4x4 I drove all the way from Italy and now before driving back........
    Alfredo
    Come on Alfredo......where are your pictures?!! Tell us a bit about yourself and your trip. Where have you been and what have you seen? How long have you been on the road? I sure someone will anser your question in return!

    Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

    "Mike for President" Freeflyd

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,726
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alteraus View Post
    I can not find out on this forum or on internet if it is possible to do the desert tour from Lüderitz to Walvis Bay without a tour operator. Does anybody know the answer ??
    Many thanks
    Alfredo
    Alfredo, as far as I know this is not possible. The tour operators own the concession which enables them to guide visitors through a eco-sensitive area. Only three concession are allowed to take groups through though only two are actively taking groups.

    Lastly, I have done the trip. I seriously doubt one could do this on ones own without a great chance of failure. In the event of you getting stuck, their aint nobody who will be able to help you.... you gonna die
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    In the event of you getting stuck, their aint nobody who will be able to help you.... you gonna die
    A little dramatic?

    Anyway, as Bigred says, you can not do the dune trip alone.

    For information on Namibia:http://www.pictureafrica.org/Picture..._CAMPERS..html

    And Botswana: http://www.pictureafrica.org/Picture...ampers....html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    64
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alteraus View Post
    Hi !

    I am planning a trip in Namibia from the 30th January to the 16th February leaving from Cape Town and arriving in Johannesburg. I have my own 4x4 I drove all the way from Italy and now before driving back I would like to do a few tours in Namibia Botswana and possibly Mozambique.
    I can not find out on this forum or on internet if it is possible to do the desert tour from Lüderitz to Walvis Bay without a tour operator. Does anybody know the answer ??
    Many thanks
    Alfredo
    Hi Alfredo
    Can i maybe assist you with a satellite phone for your trip? Shana

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    64
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Hi Alfredo,
    Can i assist you with a sat phone for your trip?

    Kind regards
    Shana

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Many thanks for the info, i will contact te TO and hope the available dates will suite my programm.
    Shana thanks for the sat phone but I have my own Iridium .

    I will try to post some photos of my trip, do not have many because having done most of the road on my own and not being a great photographer I ended up with only a few pictures.

    Thanks again
    Alfredo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    A little dramatic?

    Anyway, as Bigred says, you can not do the dune trip alone.

    For information on Namibia:http://www.pictureafrica.org/Picture..._CAMPERS..html

    And Botswana: http://www.pictureafrica.org/Picture...ampers....html

    Hi Freeflyd, I have already seen your site Pictureafrica but have a problem, on the Namibia blog the picture seem like dropping on the text, don't know if it is my laptop or a problem with the page !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    I have been having issues with that. Something to do with the width of screens.

    I just removed all the pictures to solve it once and for all!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    I have been having issues with that. Something to do with the width of screens.

    I just removed all the pictures to solve it once and for all!

    Many thanks I have just made a copy ... you never know.

    Btw the best info on Namibia I found on the web !!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Come on Alfredo......where are your pictures?!! Tell us a bit about yourself and your trip. Where have you been and what have you seen? How long have you been on the road? I sure someone will anser your question in return!

    Mike

    I have with difficulty posted some pictures on facebook : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=73c595516e

    This is the first part of the trip, from Italy to Kenya, I did this part with a friend who left his bike in Addis Abeba. I did the second leg from Addis to Cape Town solo and for me this is the best way to travel. Obviously when alone I try not to be to adventurous and maybe I miss things I would do if with other cars but nevertheless if possible I prefere to travel on my own.
    I will post the other pictures asap.
    Alfredo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    Great photos Alfredo...thanks for posting. I have started a new thread for these pictures.........here.

    Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

    "Mike for President" Freeflyd

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Great photos Alfredo...thanks for posting. I have started a new thread for these pictures.........here.

    Mike
    I have published the second half of the trip : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=2848de52ec

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    Thank you for adding those, Alfredo. It might be best if you were to start a new thread called something like "Alfredo's Trans Africa Photos" in the main Overlanding section, as no-one will expect to find the links here in a Namibian posting. I have added the link to the other one I did for you in the North Africa section, but even that will be a bit obscure.

    Which game park did you visit in Tanzania? It looks beautiful being so green. It looks like you have had a little play in the dunes (Atlantis?) in SA......

    What route are you planning for the return journey to Italy? Are you going back up the Eatern side, or maybe going up the more difficult Western side (Mauritania, W. Sahara, Morocco then Spain & France)?

    Mike

    PS here is a link to some photos from my 1994/95 trans-Africa trip......just the Zaire section.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

    "Mike for President" Freeflyd

Similar Threads

  1. Trip advice Namibia June/July 2010
    By tritontitan in forum Namibia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009/12/15, 09:38 AM
  2. Namibia trip advice request
    By pretdave in forum Namibia
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009/07/30, 02:44 PM
  3. Advice on Northern Namibia
    By Kirsty and Deon in forum Namibia
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009/05/20, 02:14 PM
  4. Namibia trip - itinerary advice
    By Falky in forum Namibia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009/04/14, 02:22 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2008/01/30, 10:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •