Moz trip 2010

Thread: Moz trip 2010

Thumbs up Moz trip 2010

Hi All

I am thinking of doing a trip to Moz returning via Zim & Bots. Please help me to fill some of the blanks while I still have a clean canvas. This will be my first excursion to Moz.

The basic plan is :

Leave around 16 Dec - total time available 21 - 28 days.

Probable route & timing :
    • leave from CT 16 Dec (day 1)
    • Enter Ponta do Ouro approx day 3 - 4
    • Work my way up north in Moz to enter Zim at Manico / Mutare +- day 18 - 21
    • Return via Zim & Bots to Ct to reach CT day 28 (if time allows it - else all have to happen in 21 days
    Main purpose of the trip is sight seeing, camping almost every night. I drive a Defender 110, therefore I try to avoid traveling more than 2 consequtive days - ie 2 days travel followed by 1 - 2 days rest. Max distance approx 700 km / day (8 hrs)

Curently I have no idea on how many vehicles - probably only myself or else maybe up to 3 others. I have more than my fairshare of experience helping myself in the bush.

My questions -

1. is this viable ?
    2. Which places are a MUST see / visit in Moz
    3. Is Dec a viable time to visit Moz ?
    4. Which places should I avoid at all cost ?
    5. Any other better suggestions re the route ?
    6. How crucial is it to book campsites or can I just rock up?

Thanks
    Theo
    Last edited by TheoP; 2010/01/16 at 03:08 PM. Reason: addition

Your planned daily mileage seems high. I haven't travelled up North of Maputo in 2years but generally the roads are attrocious, particularly after Xai-Xai. At times it is better to travel next to the roads than on them. The overloaded busses are a menace and in a lot of places the roads are raised and you can have two busses abreast comming at you. Be careful. The speed limits have to be adhered to in towns 50/60 and outside 80/100. You get caught you pay!!!!!. I would plan on 400/500Km a day max. It is an awesome country and worth the effort and trouble.

Theop,

I agree with distance, try keep that as low as possible, 700km in moz is a long haul, the road (EN1)as far as Vilanculos only has two really bad patches of about 60km and 30km long (outside Xai-Xai and just before Vilanculos) Especially if you have kids.
    If you would like a bit more offroading as opposed to straight tar roads check out the Mapai route back to SA or Zim via Crooks Corner (dependant on water levels), we did the trip in Dec and if you prepared it gets you to some of the less visited places in moz. Chat to Henris re Crooks Corner crossing.
    07 Kia Sorento 2.5 EX
    09 Yamaha Waverunner VX
    10 BMW 1200GS Adv
    04 Yamaha TW200
    02 Mariner 25 Rubber Duck
    11 Trailer to carry IT ALL!

Howzit Theo.

Just a few pointers before you pack your bags.

During the holiday season the borders are open 24/7, but it would still be best to cross it during the early hours of the morning, as those guys dont wear any watches. So, if you have kids, get a place to stay the night before, maybe Nelspruit, Malelane or Komatipoort so that you you could leave very early in the morning. You dont want to drive through Maputo when every one is awake and trying to sell you last weeks fish.

If you want to go this coming december, best you exchange some money know as the exchange rate is 1:3.8. It might get better, who knows?? I just bought a few when I came out.

Every one knows you dont give them your passport or drivers licence, just remember that. keep a small amount of money separate (+-R300) should you need to pay a bribe somewhere along the line.

Keep by the speed limit, the country is in ruins, but there is nothing wrong with their speed traps . Also make sure you have all your must-haves should they pull you over.

Like the other guys said: if you plan on doing 700km a day, its going to take you a bit longer than 8 hours. Normal driving time from the border till Inhambane is 10 hours and thats about 500km. The EN1 north of maputo is not that bad, but there is alot of very old Isuzus/Toyotas/Donkey cars and what not on that road. North from Xai Xai there is a little bit of tar around each pothole and this is what takes a long time. +-150km take you 3 hours to drive as they are working on the roads and there are some places with only one lane. The big trucks dont give a damn and i suggest you give your wife a chill pill at Xai Xai.

We just go all the way through to Inhambane, and not realy into camping. So I wouldnt be the one to tell you were to camp.

Dec is always the busiest times. So, the roads are busy, fish/prawns are more expensive and its 36 degrees in the shade! And still I go every year!

I dont think you can just rock up, as the camping sites/houses/lodges are packed during december.

Hope ive been of some help. And enjoy your trip!

Thanks guys,

Couple more questions :

On these trips I prefer to stick to the back / minor roads. With Dec being the rainy season, are the dirt roads reasonably passable or does it turn into a mud bath.

Chris you say 36 degrees in the shade - how humid is it ?

Do you mhave any suggestions as to "must see places" ?

Thanks
    Theo

Hello TheoP. After posting my thread today, I saw you're planning a similar trip through Zim. We grew up (my brother and I) in the Zim Lowveld and know all the spots in Ghonarezhou National Park. If you like we could meet up somewhere on our journeys. Give me ring on 0829792962. Cheers. Riccardo.