Areia Branca

Thread: Areia Branca

Default Areia Branca

We want to camp at Areia Branca in Inhambane, Mozambique. Has anybody camped there recently. Which is the best road to take?

Lindy_P

Is that the place next to White Sands?

Yes. I think they are run by the same group of people.

I went to Moz over december. I dont have my pics with me but if its that place the the camping area has its own little lapa kind of thing but its all sand there. Didnt see the executive camping they talk about on the website. Just checked their website, its the same place. The charlets are very nice and has loads of space compared to palm grove which I will never go back to. The owners of Areia Branca are very nice. The only issue I would say about the place is spring tide as you will be driving in water to get out of the place, dont know about normal high tide. But I didnt have a problem with my pajero, water wasnt to deep.

If I go to MOz again I will def try that place.

Hope it helps you

Thanks. We are going in June/July. Never been to Moz before so it was quite difficult deciding where to go.

Talking Nascer or Zona!

Nscer Do Sol and Zona Braza is also very nice and not as far as Inhambane, approx 40k's past Xai-Xai. I don't think I will go to Palm Grove again either, got robbed there, camcorder, GPS, wifes handbag, 2x cellphones etc, etc!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Areia branca is the Portuguese for white sands (sands white).

Hi Lindy,
    been going to Inhambane for many years, yes it's further away - but that's exactly why it's so nice - "another world', the old Mozambique and far away from Maputo and it's 'typical problems'. Areia Branca is propably one of the best places to go to - it's been our choice lately, only problem is that you don't want to leave, last time we stayed a month.
    Couple of points;
    1. Located just before White Sands.
    2. Owned and run by "Oom Jan & Tannie Joey", they also keep an eye on White Sands - http://www.areiabranca.co.za/
    3. Camping on the Barra peninsula is no longer legal, Moz Authorities have their reasons for stopping to allow camping...only the Municipal resort at the lighthouse still allow camping....not my 'cup of tea' or else Morrungulu a bit further North past Maxise.
    4. The Executive Camping option at Areia Branca is basically when you stay in a Chalet without pots, pans, bedding, etc. This is the owners way to accomodate those of us who still like to camp since he's not allowed to allow camping - and then the rate is also more affordable. We use this option when we go for a long period, although for less than 10 days I would rather take the fully stocked self catering chalet.
    5. Best place for kids....freedom of the whole point.
    6. Yes you would need to drive through some SALT WATER, if you travel at hight tide (1 hour before or after) - this includes Springtide, it's only at Neaptide (dooie-gety) that the water stays longer and forces you to use a more sandy route (4x4 only). At Lowtide you don't need to travel through any water as long as you drive around the puddles (won't even wet your wheel-rims), the sand is hard and many people go there with normal cars and Venter trailers, however I would rather suggest a 4x4 or SUV type vehicle. Between the chalets is very loose sand and you will struggle with a normal car/4x2.

I have lot's of photo's, let me know how I should send you some...

PS. June/July is the best time of the year, very few mozzie's and hot enough to swim from 5am to 7pm.

Hi 3's
    Thanks a mill for the info. We will def be going there in June/July. Did you go through the border at Komatie Poort? Please could you send me some pics to [email protected]

Hi 3's
    Typo on previous post. My email add is [email protected]
    Tks

Hi Lindy,
    send some picture's - hopes it help.

Yes, we used Komati-border post.

Call me should you have more questions - no in email.

Rgds,
    3's