Name:	IMG_3308.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	49825

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	49826A quick update for any late travellers about recent road conditions .

The road North of Xai Xai to Quissico is still under rehabilitation by the Chinese contractors , its still in a mess , progress has been minimal . On our return , minor rainfall had turned the red sand into mud , traction and stability will be a serious issue in the forthcoming rains , through till March . Sedans were battling with clearance and traction in some stages , and a few vehicles had slipped off the road . 1.5 hours .

We just clipped mirrors with a passing ML in the narrow passing sections , luckily no damage . If you're going to tow , ensure your trailer edges are well marked and visible .

The road north of Massinga is still in bad condition too , 80kms till Mavanza village . Rehab has not started here IIRC . One drives on the lightly corrugated dirt shoulder for 80% of the distance . I would not drive a sedan anywhere here , there are also some nasty bumps on the road shoulder .
    Anyone towing through here , will require patience and time . Dont rush this section .

We departed Dbn 3 am arrived Vilancoulos 11 pm , 20 hours .
    The rough piece north of Massinga was done in the dark , not advisable , but no traffic to contend with , so in some ways preferable .

On a whole , we did 3500 km , only 300 km was in poor condition , so still a pleasurable trip .

Vehicle was 08 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCI Supercab 4x2 , standard on GY Wrangler RTSA not towing , our avg between Maputo and Vilancoulos was 80km/h overall . Fuel cons remained at about 10l/100km , no change here .

Diesel 24 Mt ( R6.00) till Inhambane/Lindela then went up to28 Mt ( R7.00) as we went north to Vilancoulos and Inhassoro .

Fuel availability was good , there is a nice new Engen garage in Xai Xai . with shop and toilets . There now seems to be a decent garage evry 200km or so between Maputo and Vilancoulos .

It was a pleasure not to have to carry jerry cans , the diesel was cheap , clean and plentiful .

Passed about 20 routine stops , not stopped . One speeding fine in Mamelane before Inhassoro , my fault .

Will post pics this evening .
    Last edited by PGJ; 2010/01/14 at 09:51 PM.

I filled my jerry cans at komati except one which I filled in Tofo. Tofo diesel was cleaner than komati. Komati's diesel had some sort of nonsens in luckly we had a filter in between the tank and jerry can. And I was the one scared of getting diesel in Moz. Just shows you, better diesel and cheaper.