Beware overzeallous SAPS at Farazela/Kosi Bay Border Post

Default Beware overzeallous SAPS at Farazela/Kosi Bay Border Post

We have just returned from another awesome holiday in Southern Moz, soured only by an incident returning through the border post on the way home at Farazela. We had used mine and my wifes vehicle as we took some friends with us. During the normal border crossing formalities, it transpired that my wife had not renewed the car licence (ek se maar niks!!) and she was duly fined R1000. Painful but justified as she was wrong. On the way back at the same border post, being the last weekend of the holidays, there was a faior sized queue on teh Moz side. My wife collected all teh passports and went to do the admin, leaving a passenger in the car, who was shortly thereafter instrucetd by a Moz official to drive the car through the boom gate, and thus onto SA turf. He was immediately asked by SAPS to produce his driver's licence, which he ddi not have on him as he did not expect to be driving. This was the same SAPS constable who had fined my wife going in. She then declared that the licence was out of date. She was then reminded that she had already fined us and we produced the fine as proof, but she became quite arrogant and told us that we had had plenty of time to get a new disc. When asked how we were supposed to do that in Moz, she snatched teh passport out ofthe hand of our friend and stated that in that case, she would fine him for driving on a public road without a licence. Technically, he was in breach of the law and maybe a bit misguided for not having carried his licence anyway, but my real problem was the attitude and arrogance of the youg policewoman. Certainly she had every right to issue a fine, but in the cirxcumsatnces, I do not believe it was necessary. A simple warning would have surficed as the driver was present and had her licence. SAPS is no longer a force but a SERVICE, to which she seemed competely oblivious. If the motto is to protect and serve, the SAPS are failing dismally as there is obviously no training in human relations conducted. An appeal to the constables supervisor was equally frustrating, and simply dismissed with a wave of the hand. When I asked her if I could ask her a polite question about her attitude, she ignored me and told her supervisor that she should impound the vehicle. So, beware of the little lady constable in the brand new shiny blue uniform. She is trying to make her mark!

One is always warned to be wary and alert as regards the Moz authorities. Three trips this past year and we were not stopped and hassled once. I say, beware of the SAPS and have your house in order (c.c to my wife!!).

Don`t worry ,last year we were stopped 17 times by Moz`z finest with not one fine or bribe being hinted at but just as we crossed Komatipoort border we were stopped by the SAPS and of all thing checked they checked our windscreen wipers which I thought was a bit rough.
    Andrew

Went to Moz over december, was also stopped alot in Moz and Swazi but no issues. Got to the SA side of swazi on our way back and the 2 meneere on the chairs gave us alot of nonsens since I lost my numberplate in Moz and I tried to explain this to the guy but ja had to almost unpack all my stuff.

I've heard a few complaining that the SA authorities where the difficult ones to deal with this festive season , as opposed to the Mozambican authorities .

An SAPS student constable in a shiny new uniform is a force to be reckoned with , they studied the book , and now its time to apply the rules in front of their watchful CO's . Unfortunately triton she took a liking/disliking to you . I understand your sentiments , the officer's reaction was probably a little harsh . Unfortunately for all of us we need to check our vehicles thoroughly before departing , it avoids giving police ammo to use against you .

I know how hard it is to get everything in order before with the vehicle and trying to plan , pack , drive , keep kids happy etc , but its just one of those things hey !

Good to hear you had an otherwise awesome holiday .

Our trip up to Inhassoro was uneventful re the police . Was not stopped once in Moz for routine inspection , 3500km traveled . Im yet to confirm this but i believe the authorities were advised to " leave us alone " this year . Was never stopped , never saw any SA vehicles being stopped .

I did receive a valid speeding fine outside Mamelane ( Inhassoro ) , was slowing into a 60 zone , didnt slow down quick enough . First speeding fine in 9 years in Moz . My fault . They didn't want to provide me with a receipt , we agreed that i would pay the fine in Inhassoro , they too could not provide a receipt , the fine remains unpaid 1000Mt(R250.00) . Right/Wrong i'm not sure , its discretion .

Concur 100% with you PGJ. We went up to Morrungulo as well last November, Moz cops everywhere but we were not stopped once. I think there has been some kind of directive to lay off us. I just hope this does not equate to SA drivers now thinking they are untouchable. Although alot of the fines are opportunist and corrupt there are a few idiot SA drivers that think they own the place and find it impossible to respect the laws of their host country.