In Car PC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In Car PC

Default In Car PC

Anybody know where you can get one of these in SA?

http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/vehiclecomputers.htm
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Yes, but first tell me what your application and budget is, then I can recommend based on that.

Application?
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

waarvoor wil jy dit gebruik, Dirk nog leer om afrikaans op die freds te praat!!

Kry n laptop!
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

What do you want to do with it? Mapping, music?

There are several options. Pinnacle Micro sells a really small form factor PC, couple that with a 7" touch screen and you have a relatively cheap solution that you can run off and invertor. If you are concerned about the hard drive taking a knock then look at running it with one of the new solid state drives.

Then Klare Technologies have a proper Car PC, which is rugged etc, but also not cheap (R15k +).

There are also then double din car radio replacement options that runs Windows, have look at the back of the Leisure Wheels magazines.

you have to go solid state on our roads. I still have to find what im looking for
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    What do you want to do with it? Mapping, music?

Following the forum - or wait, that's what Herman wants it for.

Basically music, downloading photos, GPS, and looking for accomodation, spares, fuel etc.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

http://www.mini-box.co.za/ of probeer 'n Asus EEE mini laptop hulle is solid state, so geen hardeskyf.

Screen they use in bank ATM's? There is a place in Pretoria that supplies banks and hospitals etc. with ANY type of screen, PC etc. typically EMBEDDED pc and screen in one unit.

will try to get info.
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Ek stem saam met saskia. Kry 'n ASUS EEE. Ons het een en dit werk fantasties!! As mens in die middel van botswana 'n klein grond padjie probeer vind op 'n 3x3 duim skerm dan raak jou humeur nogal kort. Die klein laptop help baie. Plus jy kan elke aand jou fotos download, jy kan die laptop an jou voertuig se speakers koppel en al jou musiek daardeur speel... Dit is baie handig!!

Die ASUS EEE werk perfek.
    Last edited by Rhyno cj2; 2010/01/12 at 08:35 AM.

Definieer Goedkoop.

Hoe werk die touch screen - kry mens die sagteware wat daarvoor nodig is saammet die screen?
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Die heel klein 7" skerm Asus EEE kos om en by R2k, en jy kan op die internet 'n touchscreen mod vir hom koop en dit self install. Myne is gekoppel aan 'n 8" touch screen wat met 'n RAM mount teen my venster sit. Die laptop is onder die sitplek en ek beheer die laptop via die touchscreen en gebruik Garmin Mobile PC en T4A as GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by saskia View Post
    Die heel klein 7" skerm Asus EEE kos om en by R2k, en jy kan op die internet 'n touchscreen mod vir hom koop en dit self install. Myne is gekoppel aan 'n 8" touch screen wat met 'n RAM mount teen my venster sit. Die laptop is onder die sitplek en ek beheer die laptop via die touchscreen en gebruik Garmin Mobile PC en T4A as GPS.
    Sal jy asb 'n foto post?

Kyk ook hierna.
    http://www.newaye.com/Product/N52/Default.html

http://www.newaye.com/Product/N899/Default.html

As jy 'n jap kar ry kan jy ook hierna kyk, hullet verskeie modelle wat in kar spesifieke slots inpas.

http://www.newaye.com/Product/N573/Default.html

Koste is omtrent so R8k + invoer tax + DHL.
    Ek glo nie dis nodig om solid state te gaan nie, die laptop drywe is baie robust(seagate), sodra hy vibrasie voel park die heads etc. Het my laptop al baie rond gegooi en hy loop nog mooi. As jy wel kry dat jou dryf probleme gee gaan dan SSD.
    Last edited by Ne3M; 2010/01/12 at 09:59 AM.

Hieronder is 'n foto van die skerm (Lilliput). Die aspect ratio is 4:3, maar jy kry hom ook in 16:9, ek verkies die 4:3 want dan kan jy meer voor jou sien op die GPS. Die Mobile PC lyk presies soos die NUVI se skerm met dieselfde groot "knoppe" vir die navigasie, so dit werk perfek op die touchscreen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Uys, unless you need it in the car for things like storing media (music/movies) or as a large screen GPS (though I don't know if more then the few inches of a normal unit is necessary), in which case plenty of options have been given, I'd suggest a netbook like the eeePC. Solid state hard drive means no moving parts, and they run a version of Linux and boot quickly. Battery life is also solid, at least 4 hour from a 6cell battery.

I have a Samsung NC10 that I use as my only PC, apart from the 15" laptop at work (which stays at work) and it performs flawlessly. I get around 4.5 hours battery, and use a 3G card or wifi for internet, though you can get them with built in 3G capability. A few uses I could think of would be research while on the road or to find help on the forum Maybe even somthing exotic like connecting to one of those stargazers that let you download co-ords to view from the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by saskia View Post
    Cool, ek het nie daai deel nie. Waar het jy jou touchscreen gekoop en hoeveel het jy daarvoor bataal? Wat behels die installation? Hoe koppel die screen aan jou pc? Kan jy nogsteeds die gewone skerm ook gebruik?

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    Uys, unless you need it in the car for things like storing media (music/movies) or as a large screen GPS (though I don't know if more then the few inches of a normal unit is necessary), in which case plenty of options have been given, I'd suggest a netbook like the eeePC. Solid state hard drive means no moving parts, and they run a version of Linux and boot quickly. Battery life is also solid, at least 4 hour from a 6cell battery.

I have a Samsung NC10 that I use as my only PC, apart from the 15" laptop at work (which stays at work) and it performs flawlessly. I get around 4.5 hours battery, and use a 3G card or wifi for internet, though you can get them with built in 3G capability. A few uses I could think of would be research while on the road or to find help on the forum Maybe even somthing exotic like connecting to one of those stargazers that let you download co-ords to view from the internet...
    Thought about that, but if it doesn't have a dedicated place, it WILL!!!! annoy me endlessly!
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Basically music, downloading photos, GPS, and looking for accomodation, spares, fuel etc.
    As dit al is wat die outjie moet kan doen, dan kan jy mos maar net n Nuvi koop met n groot skerm.

Ek dag jy wil jou taxes doen terwyl jy bestuur, of dalk prawn van die internet af laai terwyl jy n pirate movie kyk.......
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast