Trip Summary - Giriyondo, Mapai, Mabote, Vilanculos

Default Trip Summary - Giriyondo, Mapai, Mabote, Vilanculos

Just returned from 16 Day trip
    Day 1 JHB - Phalaborwa: All Good Tar road

Day 2 Phalaborwa - Machaina: Road in Park is good, short dirt road to border post, no problems at border. NB they charge for full Jerry cans now. Watch out for 'speed bumps in park on Moz side, they are huge and could really ruin your day. We went south across Limpopo at bridge then up to Mapai along railway road, Road to Mapai is long and dusty but no real issues except for more speed bumps. Good luck in finding 'Fly Camp' listed on route, was nowhere to be seen, not even a suitable tree to camp under - anyone who has stayed there please let me have more info on what I should have been looking for Campsite in Machiana - we saw sign for this but only after we slept in cars 100m away!!!!
    Day 3 - Machaina - Vilanculos: Road was fine for any 4x4, even 2x4 with decent ground clearance, Mabote to Vilanculos is wide flat and dusty. watch out for some ruts if recent rains have fallen.

Day 4 - 14 - Vilanculos, Blue Water Resort: Camp has awesome pool overlooking Archipelago now, Management needs a little kick up the rear now and then but will not stop me returning. Trailer spare was stolen from inside resort, Someone cut the welding on the bracket and removed entire wheel and bolts. Boat was chained up and motor chained as well as guard paid but we noticed a saw had been taken to the lock, luckily with little success (definately worth buying a good lock). Locals in town have become really annoying, especially at the market but I suppose everyone has to earn a living somehow.

Day 15 - Vilanculos - Milly's one stop: EN1 has 2 horrible parts only, about 50km outside Vilanculos on the way to Inhambane, probably for 30km or so potholes really really bad.
    Then the last +-60km into Xai Xai are pretty bad as well but the sand road next to the road is ok.

We only got stopped once by Moz cops in Maputo who relieved me of R200.00 instead of a 1000Met fine for quad trailer lights which had been removed by the offroad section en route to Vilanculos. I did think I was asking for trouble as I was tandem towing but no-one really cared!

On the whole a really fantastic holiday and congrats to Scooter (member) and Chantelle who got married on a sand bank just off Vilanculos on the 22nd Dec, was really special!

Prices may fluctuate according to season, this is a rough guide
    2M - 40Mt
    1kg Calamari - 100Mt - 120Mt
    1kg Crab - 60Mt - 70Mt
    1kg Prawns - +-200Mt depending on availability
    1kg Mussels - 50Mt
    Suncream - if you can find - 500Mt - 850Mt
    Camp hand R50 per day

Exchange is about 3.8 to 1
    07 Kia Sorento 2.5 EX
    09 Yamaha Waverunner VX
    10 BMW 1200GS Adv
    04 Yamaha TW200
    02 Mariner 25 Rubber Duck
    11 Trailer to carry IT ALL!

Default Route questions

Great report TStone,

How long are the hours and distances from each point IE: Giriyondo -> Mapai -> Mabote -> Pambara -> Vilancolous?
    Last edited by Durran; 2010/01/15 at 02:24 PM.

Hey Durran,

If I remember correctly,

Crossed the border at about 10h30, the route to the Masingir gate took about 4 hours then we drove into Mapai at 00h30 the following morning, stopping every 2 hours or so for 10 minutes or so.

Mapai to Machaina, where we slept on the side of the road took about 2 1/2 hours

Then in the morning departed at around 05h30 (perhaps 06h00) got to Mabote around 11h30. The road to Vilanculos from Mabote is ok and we got that behind us and in camp by about 14h00 - 15h00.

Scooter may have a better idea - feel free to comment bud!

As for distances Durran check out the routing from Bruce from Vilanculos resorts here (damn I couldn't find it, its somewhere around) pm me your email and I will send it to you
    07 Kia Sorento 2.5 EX
    09 Yamaha Waverunner VX
    10 BMW 1200GS Adv
    04 Yamaha TW200
    02 Mariner 25 Rubber Duck
    11 Trailer to carry IT ALL!