Namibia trip - Sept/Oct 2010 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Devlin, if you have T4A you can see the line where the Tropic of Capricorn crosses the C14. It is just north of the Gaub Pass. Here with a photo taken in Sept.2009
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

There are far more exiting routes that will suit you. I had to agree to some of the comments. Most place nowedays you had to obtian permits. thr are still controversy over Boggenfels within conccesion holders and goverment. Need mor info contact me

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Devlin, if you have T4A you can see the line where the Tropic of Capricorn crosses the C14. It is just north of the Gaub Pass. Here with a photo taken in Sept.2009
    That's the sucker I'm after!!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FISI View Post
    There are far more exiting routes that will suit you. I had to agree to some of the comments. Most place nowedays you had to obtian permits. thr are still controversy over Boggenfels within conccesion holders and goverment. Need mor info contact me
    Hi FISI,

PM sent. Thanks

Smile

[QUOTE=dpammenter;407407]Hi All,

Day 11: Spreetshoogte camp to a camp in/near Swakopmund via Gamsberg pass, Kuiseb pass and Walvis Bay QUOTE

We read an article in the Drive Out magazine about the best campsite in Namibia - at the top of Spreetshoogte Pass at NAMIBGRENS. We have travelled extensively in Namibia and can heartily agree with Barney, the Editor of the magazine. I can really recommend Namibgrens farm - ask for the Bushveld campsite No. 1 as it has the most magnificent views imagineable. An awesome spot and it is right next to Spreetshoogte Pass.

The biggest mistake tourists to Namibia make is to underestimate the distances. Allow yourself lots of time at stops otherwise your trip feels like you spent it all just driving! Enjoy!
    The Wilkinson's world of adventure

Quote Originally Posted by janeyw View Post
    We read an article in the Drive Out magazine about the best campsite in Namibia - at the top of Spreetshoogte Pass at NAMIBGRENS. We have travelled extensively in Namibia and can heartily agree with Barney, the Editor of the magazine. I can really recommend Namibgrens farm - ask for the Bushveld campsite No. 1 as it has the most magnificent views imagineable. An awesome spot and it is right next to Spreetshoogte Pass.

The biggest mistake tourists to Namibia make is to underestimate the distances. Allow yourself lots of time at stops otherwise your trip feels like you spent it all just driving! Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing the info! Much appreciated

Default Namibia trip

We have done a few trips through Nam. Check out the website: www.ecotech.co.za/4x4 Attach find waypoints of Capricorn Sign and photo.

S23 28.001 E15 46.138 Just north off Gaub Pass

And check out the picture at http://www.ecotech.co.za/4x4/view_trip.aspx?TripID=2

Quote Originally Posted by linda eilers View Post
    We have done a few trips through Nam. Check out the website: www.ecotech.co.za/4x4 Attach find waypoints of Capricorn Sign and photo.

S23 28.001 E15 46.138 Just north off Gaub Pass

And check out the picture at http://www.ecotech.co.za/4x4/view_trip.aspx?TripID=2

Thanks for the links and info. Some very nice photos on there.
    I can't wait to go!

Hi Devlin,

You've a very nice campsite at Gecko Camp (www.camp-gecko.com) near Spreetshoogte Pass! Sunset is awesome.
    And I can confirm that there's a Tropic of Capricorn roadsign is on the C14.

Preparation is the first and not the less enjoyable part of a trip…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	49636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	49637  
    Last edited by Pierre77N; 2010/01/11 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Pierre. Although my German isn't too hot, the pics of the camp look pretty good. I'll contact them too.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    Runs from Nieuwoudville to Loeriesfontein in Namaqualand.
    Yes, that one is much more impressive than the Keetmanshoop one and in the flower season the veld is covered in yellow flowewrs too . The one just outside Kenhardt on the way to Brandvlei is also not to be sniffed at.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Thumbs up

Hi Devlin, I would like to recommend Agama River Camp near Sesriem. http://www.agamarivercamp.com This is the best value for money in Namibia. What you get for only R180.00 per night for 2 persons is amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020916.1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	49669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030024.2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	49670  

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    Thanks Pierre. Although my German isn't too hot, the pics of the camp look pretty good. I'll contact them too.
    Thanks again.
    Here is a link in English
    http://www.namibiareservations.com/camp_gecko.html

Wink

Hi Dpammenter,
    Personally I think that you will be spending too much time in the vehicle and not leaving enough for exploring some of the areas you are going to.
    I agree with NicoVH that the North Bank of the Orange River should not be missed. If you are using the InfoMap and decide to take the shortcut from Ai-Ais from D54 to D29, check the condition of the track before taking the trailer down there. We did Noordoewer to Aus comfortably with many picnic & swimming stops along the way. Rosh Pinah to Aus is tar.
    We camped at Alte Bruecke in Swakopmund. Clean and central. If you have time when in Swakopmund, I would also highly recommend getting a permit / maps and doing the self drive tour of the Moon Landscape via Goanikontes.
    You are going at a lovely time of the year, especially if you miss the school holidays.
    Our trip took us 4 weeks and covered over 6000 kms with a trailer. We left it unattended at all campsites and never had an issue besides our last night at Grunau where some skollies tried unsuccessfully to break into it. Unfortunately we were not sleeping on the trailer, but in a chalet, so we did not hear them.
    Best regards.
    PS: I have recently sampled apple pie in Austria and have to confess that it did not even come close to Solitaire!

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the advice, links etc. I really appreciate it.
    Our route is slowly evolving and by cutting out a visit into the KTP and the Quiver Tree forest, we've pretty much scored ourselves a few nights so we can now start to slow things down a little. We've also decided to spend 3 nights in Aus and set aside a day to go looking for the horses

Stuart, I think the first half of our trip will be during the Sept school holidays, so I imagine things will be a little busier during that time (if people have any money left after watching all the football matches). Hopefully it'll get quieter as the trip goes on?

I like the idea of the shortcut you've mentioned. And maybe it'll be worth spending a night in Swakop so we can see the Moon Landscape. Can one visit this and still get to the Spitzkoppe in a day. The distance doesn't seem too great, but rather time wise?

Cheers,
    Devlin

Devlin, spending just one night in Swakop is in my opinion not enough. There is just to much to see and do. We have spent 4 nights in September 2009. Day one we did the Living Desert tour. This is awesome. They take you into the desert and show you all the small creatures that live there. It is just over half a day. The afternoon was spent exploring Swakop. So much history to see. The next day we did a Dolphin & Seal trip in Walvisbay. Also worth every sent. The third day we drove up to Cape Cross on the salt road. Very senic and for me a must do.
    Looking at what everybody says, I recommend many trips to Namibia, as this is a country that you just can not explore in one three week trip. Good luck.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Agree with spook. Also speak to rico, he owns a fully furnished place in swakop for rates
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Hi Spook,

I see what you mean about needing more time in Swakop. This is starting to make things more difficult.... hmmm..... but nice difficult haha. We're going to need to decide what we definitely want to see on this trip, and what we can afford to miss. I would love to take a trip to Cape Cross, but there are others in the group that aren't too keen.

We're already looking at a 3-week trip into northern Namibia for next year.

I'll chat with the other parties involved and post our revised route for further comment and scrutiny.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and contributions. I've no doubt this is going to be an experience that none of us will forget, especially considering that it is our first overlanding excursion.

Cheers,
    Devlin

Devlin

We have done a Namib trip in Dec 2008 and also did a lot of travelling which means a daily routine of early morning packing and late afternoon camp set up. Unfortunately you have to do that to cover a large area and a relative short time frame. Things I can mention for consideration: Canon Road Lodge is a beautiful camp site not far from the Canyon main view point and not so commercial as Ais-Ais. Watch out for camping at Luderitz as you might get blown away completely. There is a house with 5 rooms and 12 beds to rent at Dias point, much better in serious windy conditions. Kolmanskop is over rated according to me and don't go on a Sunday, they charge you more on Sundays. We stayed at Agama Camp near Sossusvlei, not too bad.
    Abrie Smith

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    Runs from Nieuwoudville to Loeriesfontein in Namaqualand.
    Thanks Dawie, now I'm with you but isn't that the 357 and not the 375? No problem, probably finger trouble. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find it.
    Cheers
    Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast