Namibia in february/march? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks Andre, it seems I am about a week behind you. I am picking up on the 7th in Windhoek and returning it on the 25th.....A Nissan with roof tent. I had planned to go down the Hoarusib and Hoanib rivers but am a bit concered about the ammount of water that might be in the rivers. I am looking at Khaudom as an alternative. I might have to wait and see till I get there but always seem to end up in Swakopmund anyway; maybe we will meet up for a drink

Phil
    Last edited by touchthewild; 2010/01/14 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Word omission

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    Fisi,
    Thanks for the kind offer. I would also like to get your list.

Touchthewild,
    Where are you picking up your rental? We should be at Epupa falls on the 3rd of March and you are more than welcome to join us on the trip from there through Koakoland to Torobay, Swakopmund,Walfishbay, Windhoek and Gobabis.
    Hi Andre

I see you will be visiting Torobay. (Have you been their before) Unless you are a hardened fisherman I will cut that out of my trip completely. Just got back from Nam/Bots where we spend 4 days at torobay. It was the worst 4 days of my life. (wind-cold-50cents for litre of water-R2 for shower and then you have to wait in a que for your turn-Pit toilets every 50/80meters and very dirty and smelly) and then we were off to Jakkelsputz which was the same except water = 65c p/l - shower R5 and playing musical chairs which took up to an hour to get your turn and that was another worst 5days of my life. I made a mental note of not even looking at those 2 places ever in my life again. It made us so negative we almost packed our lappe and came back straight home. This offcource is only my opinion.

I would second that although I assumed it was for fishing that you would go there. No doubt you will be picking up fuel at Palmwag and not far south of there is Aba Huab camp site, near to Twyfelfontein etc. You could then go back to the skeleton coast to get down to Swakopmund but there is a very interesting route directly south from Twyfelfontein, past Burnt Mountain and though the little known rhino route to Doros Crater, coming out at Ugab Rhino Camp. If I were to go west instead of my maybe Khaudom route, our paths might cross about there

Landjero, Touchthewild,

Thanks for the tip. We havn't been that way before and thought of going down the coast to Swakop, but we will rather look at the route Touchthewild suggested.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    Landjero, Touchthewild,

Thanks for the tip. We havn't been that way before and thought of going down the coast to Swakop, but we will rather look at the route Touchthewild suggested.
    Be very prepared, though, because this is quite an isolated area with very poorly marked tracks (just cairns of small stones, and the occasional tyre track). Worst of all, if the rivers rise you can be stuck the wrong side.....just waiting.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

MikeAG,

Thanks for the advice. We are very well equiped and experienced 4x4ers. We know about the flash floods and will avoid the river beds as far as possible. We use t4a maps in our gps and the best paper maps we could get. If all els fails we will also have a satphone to get help!!!!!
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Its not so much the riverbeds, it is about being caught on the wrong side of them. I drove around there for 4 days once trying to find a way out!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2