hoping for feedback on TATA xenon Bakkie

Default hoping for feedback on TATA xenon Bakkie

seasons greetings to one and all. LOoking for feedback on the Xenon TATA bakkie ..considering buying it post holidays...
    seems a hell of a lot better than the old telcoline... any help guys ?? mainly on mileage and ride ability vs isuzu vs nissan

You may want to start with safety rating comparisons and work from there.

thanks.. @alive and kickin
    @ dirk- the dealership tells me that the vehicle has side impact beams and bonnet with safety features and crash tested as per EURO norms ? .. is there any website where they rate the safety features, menier ?? thanks

your_name_here Guest

I took delivery of my 2010 Tata Xenon 3 weeks ago.
    I absolutely love it. I spent the best part of December looking at various SUV's and double cabs and finally chose the Xenon 2.2 double cab. At R209 000.00 this double cab is Massively cheaper than any of the more established brands out there. And let's face it. Once you scrape away the fake brushed ali and leather seats they are all just ldv's with leaf springs and crappy road holding.

Likes.
    Price.
    209 000 for a double cab with all the buttons you need is a bargain. For more or less the same money I could buy a 2007 Mazda with 97000km on the clock, a 2007 Ford with 93000km on the clock and a 2005 Toyota with 105000km on the clock.

Trade in.
    They gave me 76k for my 2003 jeep sport.

Warranty.
    The vehicle comes with a 90000km service plan and a 3 year 100000km warranty as standard. I sprung the extra 7k for the 300000km 5 year warranty for that extra little piece of mind.

Fuel consumption.
    I know it's not fair to compare a petrol and diesel vehicle but my wallet has noticed the difference. In my Jeep I averaged 7km per litre. The Mazda Drifter diesel I had before wasn't much better. In this, 12.5 km per litre. I get better fuel consumption in my double cab than my wife gets in her mini!!!!

Dislikes.
    Wheels. The puny tires look a little stupid.
    Central locking. The central locking is totally retarded. it automatically locks at abt 10km per hour which is all good but there is no unlock button anywhere in the car. you have to use the remote to unlock the car or switch it off.

I have to say that I am over the moon with my truck. Don't call it a bakkie. I know I've had it less than a month and only time will tell if it is a lemon or a peach but so far so great.
    I'd also like to add the following observation. As stated previously I spent the better part of December looking at as many vehicles as I was able to. I tried as best I could not to discriminate and drove everything from Chery to Toyota and arrived at a disturbing conclusion.

The vehicle buyer in this country gets RIPPED OFF. The established brands like VW, BMW etc don't price their cars according to what they cost to produce or even relative value but rather according to what the market will tolerate. If GWM can put their Hover on the road for R264 000.00 why in god's name does a Toyota Prado cost over 600k? Similarly if Tata can put me in a double cab for R209 000.00 why does the equivalent Mazda cost over 100k more?
    Last edited by your_name_here; 2010/02/16 at 11:37 AM.

Hi Frankie, I bought my Xenon 2.2 L about a month back from Tata Capetown. So far i m extremely happy with the vehicle. The best part is the fuel efficiency as my travelling is quite a bit, almost 150 kms a day. Considering that my average driving speed is 100 kmph and the load that i put is close to a ton, i m still getting a fuel efficiency of 13-14 km per litre consistently. I had an ISUZU earlier which i was quite happy with and used to gimme about 11-12 kmpl.. I think Xenon is pretty amazing that ways. I m quite fond of its muscular looks and the amazing pick up. All this for just about 210 k is quite a steal. I m sure they will increase the price quickly as this might be their entry strategy. I suggest.. go ahead.. you'll love it.

Hi,

I am new to 4x4 forum and looking for bakkie in the market. Looking for feedback on the Xenon TATA bakkie ..considering buying it...
    seems a lot better than the other bakkies toyota, nissan & izusu in terms of fuel consumption and initital cost of the bakkie. any help guys ?? mainly on mileage and ride ability & value for money. Very hard to get business and still need to travell atleast 5000 k / month.

thanks
    Nano

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I took delivery of my 2010 Tata Xenon 3 weeks ago.
    I absolutely love it. I spent the best part of December looking at various SUV's and double cabs and finally chose the Xenon 2.2 double cab. At R209 000.00 this double cab is Massively cheaper than any of the more established brands out there. And let's face it. Once you scrape away the fake brushed ali and leather seats they are all just ldv's with leaf springs and crappy road holding.

Likes.
    Price.
    209 000 for a double cab with all the buttons you need is a bargain. For more or less the same money I could buy a 2007 Mazda with 97000km on the clock, a 2007 Ford with 93000km on the clock and a 2005 Toyota with 105000km on the clock.

Trade in.
    They gave me 76k for my 2003 jeep sport.

Warranty.
    The vehicle comes with a 90000km service plan and a 3 year 100000km warranty as standard. I sprung the extra 7k for the 300000km 5 year warranty for that extra little piece of mind.

Fuel consumption.
    I know it's not fair to compare a petrol and diesel vehicle but my wallet has noticed the difference. In my Jeep I averaged 7km per litre. The Mazda Drifter diesel I had before wasn't much better. In this, 12.5 km per litre. I get better fuel consumption in my double cab than my wife gets in her mini!!!!

Dislikes.
    Wheels. The puny tires look a little stupid.
    Central locking. The central locking is totally retarded. it automatically locks at abt 10km per hour which is all good but there is no unlock button anywhere in the car. you have to use the remote to unlock the car or switch it off.

I have to say that I am over the moon with my truck. Don't call it a bakkie. I know I've had it less than a month and only time will tell if it is a lemon or a peach but so far so great.
    I'd also like to add the following observation. As stated previously I spent the better part of December looking at as many vehicles as I was able to. I tried as best I could not to discriminate and drove everything from Chery to Toyota and arrived at a disturbing conclusion.

The vehicle buyer in this country gets RIPPED OFF. The established brands like VW, BMW etc don't price their cars according to what they cost to produce or even relative value but rather according to what the market will tolerate. If GWM can put their Hover on the road for R264 000.00 why in god's name does a Toyota Prado cost over 600k? Similarly if Tata can put me in a double cab for R209 000.00 why does the equivalent Mazda cost over 100k more?

@your name here-- thanks for the feedback... but the dealers told me the locking feature was a positive feature of the vehicles BCM ECU whatever that is .. how many kilos have u clocked on now
    @honeylightleo--is your vehicle a single cab or a double cab and how many kilos have you clocked now
    @dirk- thanks for the advise...
    @nano- bakkie of the year 2010 for new launches in 2009 puts the xenon at 7th position even above ford ...??

Hello all!

Well I am not sure whether you have made your final decision or not? I have the Tata Xenon 2.2. and I am loving it. I also travel about 3000kms a day, and so far I have had immaculate fuel consumption.

The one thing that I adore about my Xenon is that it is very spacious and comfortable, whilst at the same time having its off roading abilities (which I have been using!)

Go for it!

@jamieross- hi.. how many kms have u completed on this bakkie..cause its the newer one... the 3ltr has been around for 2 years plus.. but this one is a new animal eh??
    cheers.

I bought one a little while ago and it has not put a tyre wrong yet. The thing I love most is the fuel consumption. It makes this little 4x4 a real money saver given the increasing fuel prices!
    I love my Tata Xenon!

@4X4forlife- menier ..what size tyres have you got on ? factory standards? or the big ones?

There are a few other threads in this forum about hte Tata Xenon. People seem to be pretty happy with it. I know I am happy with mine.

Don't expect a luxury vehicle, that's not what it was designed to be. It is a working vehicle and does its job pretty well if you ask me.
    I love my Tata Xenon!

Quote Originally Posted by superfrankielampard View Post
    ;dseasons greetings to one and all. Looking for feedback on the xenon tata bakkie ..considering buying it post holidays...
    Seems a hell of a lot better than the old telcoline... Any help guys ?? Mainly on mileage and ride ability vs isuzu vs nissan
    dont do it to your self great till you hit a problem then they will try anything in the book not to repair at their cost and you will be stuck with some thing you can't give a way.

Default Re: hoping for feedback on TATA xenon Bakkie

Almost 2 years with my Tata Xenon 3.0 DiCOR and nothing has broken or fallen off except for the EGR pipe which was R1,200. Seems like the previous owner only drove it in town on 500ppm and the pipe was so blocked, the first time I got the thing to the rev limiter and then cut to an idle the pipe failed.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus