Default mazda 2.6 reliability and fuel consumption

hi all

im thinking of getting a 4x4 dbl cab and doing a bit of research.

I have not found much comment on the 2.6 petrol. Is it reliable & cheap to fix? What is the fuel consumption like?

I know the nissan 2.4 is a bit heavy and under powered and it seems the recommendation with petrol is go bigger (fuel consumption not much higher and more power).

If i got the 2.6 it would not be for serious work, more for a family vehicle.

thanks
    R

There is nothing wrong with the 2.6 but!!!! you can might as well go for the 4l because it is the same as the nissan 2.4 under power and heavy on fuel. If you lucky you get about 6km/l and that you get on the bigger brothers to.

2.5 TDI still a better option IMHO
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

thanks guys, appriciate the input.

Dag se Pepper.
    Ek kan nie veel komentaar lewer oor die 2.6 petrol se betroubaarhied en brandstof verbruik nie. So ver ek kan onthou is die 2.6 se brandstof verbruik nie wat wonders nie, my pa se 3l v6 gee beter brandstof verbruik maar dis nie so groot verskil nie. My punt is as jy dan vir petrol wil gaan hoekom kry jy nie dan 'n 4l v6 nie en kry klaar?! Ek het 'n 2004 4l v6 4x2 handrat en ek is die tweede eienaar. My brandstof verbruik op die oop pad is so 7 tot 8,5 km/l @ 110/120 km/h. Ek het nog net een keer karavaan gesleep en 6,4 km/l gekry @ 100km/h GPS spoed 4de rat sleep. Die beste nog wat ek gekry het was 9,19 km/l maar dan moet jy verstaan dis mooi ry! Vir 'n 4l kan ek glad nie kla oor sy brandstof verbruik nie, alles hang maar net af hoe jy ry en as ek die krag nodig het is dit daar sonder enige modifikasies. Maar soos jy se jy wil nie rerig hard werk met die bakkie nie maar ek sal eerder vir die 4l gaan!
    Groete.

I have one of those B2600's. It is my 3rd. Very reliable vehicle and has never let me down. Always have the exhaust modified and had a fuel pressure regulator fitted on the last one. With a alu canopy and drawers permanently on the vehicle I get between 7 and 7,5 km/l mostly town driving and this is with 31x105x15 tyres fitted.
    Would sometimes like to have the power of the 4 liter or the torque of the diesel, but the 4 liter feels nose heavy to drive compared to the 2.6.
    Only problem is good used ones are scarce, tried for the last two months to get one for a friend but without luck. Went for the second option and bought the diesel.

What I have hear of these cars are that they are very similar to the 2700i Hilux. Hard as nails but not a jet.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Yes, you can buy a 2.6I with your eyes closed. Mine has 215000 Km on clock, relliable, no fixing needed up to now 7.5 - 9 km/l depends how fast you go. Most important is "service" every 10 000km.

The 2600 is a good solid motor of Mitsubishi origin. They are bullet-proof - vehicle of choice for Eskom!!!

I've had two of them and once chipped they give better performance & economy. I used to average about 12l/100km overall (as per my Nedfleet statements) and never had a mechanical issue in either of them.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the big gap in gear ratios between 3rd and 4th but you get used to it and learn to drive accordingly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Good luck
    Bruce

Hi All

many thanks again for the comments. the help and advice is much approciated.