Botswana and Zim Trip advice

Default Botswana and Zim Trip advice

I am busy putting together a two and a half week trip in June through Bots and Zim. At the moment there will be three vehicles and about 14 people, 6 adults and 8 children. The route that I am looking at is:

1. JHB
    2. Parr’s Halt Border Post
    3. Palapye (1 night)
    4. Kubu Island (1 or 2 nights)
    5. Kazungula Road Border Post
    6. Vic Falls (3 nights)
    7. Hwange National Park (5 nights)
    8. Matopos (5 nights)
    9. Plumtree Border Post
    10. Francistown (1 night)
    11. Parr’s Halt Border Post
    12. JHB

What can I expect to pay for border fees? Where would be good places to camp (Details please)? We are looking to do this on a shoestring budget so any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Ross
    '05 Defender 110 Td5
    '96 Discovery V8i Sold

14 people in 3 vehicles.....

I am very glad I'm not one of those children!

Palapye has one camp site which is widely advertised, but very noisy! I forget the name.

Instead of Khubu Island, which you pay for, go to Kukonye Island which is free... DO NOT attempt to drive from one to the other across the pans. And if this year showed us anything, it's that even in the dryest season the pans may be inpassable. You can however just camp on the edge of the pan if you can't drive on it.

Francistown has a few nice camp sites. Search the Botswana forum and it will be revealed.

On the way to Kazangula you can either bush camp on the Hunter's road or stay at Elephant Sands, or any of the many places in Kasane.

When entering Botswana, ask for a Multi entry permid for the vehicles. This will save you some money when re-entering from the Zim side.

As a general rule, try and stay in Community run camp sites as they will be cheaper. Fuel and food is cheaper in Botswana that South Africa and US$ will get you further n Zim than Rand as they give you a R10 to 1$ exchange. Take small bills ($5 $10 and $20) as you will not get change, but try and buy everything for the rest of your trip in Botswana before crossing the border.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    14 people in 3 vehicles.....

I am very glad I'm not one of those children!

Palapye has one camp site which is widely advertised, but very noisy! I forget the name.

Instead of Khubu Island, which you pay for, go to Kukonye Island which is free... DO NOT attempt to drive from one to the other across the pans. And if this year showed us anything, it's that even in the dryest season the pans may be inpassable. You can however just camp on the edge of the pan if you can't drive on it.

Francistown has a few nice camp sites. Search the Botswana forum and it will be revealed.

On the way to Kazangula you can either bush camp on the Hunter's road or stay at Elephant Sands, or any of the many places in Kasane.

When entering Botswana, ask for a Multi entry permid for the vehicles. This will save you some money when re-entering from the Zim side.

As a general rule, try and stay in Community run camp sites as they will be cheaper. Fuel and food is cheaper in Botswana that South Africa and US$ will get you further n Zim than Rand as they give you a R10 to 1$ exchange. Take small bills ($5 $10 and $20) as you will not get change, but try and buy everything for the rest of your trip in Botswana before crossing the border.
    Hi Freeflyd,

Thanks for the info.

We are fortunate that the children are still quite small and love going on trips.

Thanks again.
    Ross
    '05 Defender 110 Td5
    '96 Discovery V8i Sold

rafiki Guest

Default bots zim advice

Try and spend a night or two at Elephant Sands (43km from Nata on Kasane Rd) it's great for kids, good Elephant experience. Hunters road is long and off the route. We spent a night in Hwange (Sinamantella camp) coming in from Panda side thru Robins camp and the game was very dissappointing, although we had Lion roaring all night. As an alternative, try and spend some time in Chobe (Ihaha, etc.. don't go beyond here) which is a nice close drive to Vic Falls and has excellent game viewing, alternately stay in Kasane and pay the park fees for game drives (Vehicle USD 30.00). Vic Falls rest camp is great, good ablutions, pool, close to amenities, GRASS campsites !!! (USD12.00 per person, USD8.00 for kids). Entry fees into Bots dependant on vehicle engine capacity, for 4.0lt Prado - Pula 120.00, go with the multi entry option. We have just got back from a 3 week Bots/Zim/Bots trip, look out for the Road report. Happy planning.

guyzou Guest

Does someone can tell the price, availability, of petrol and diesel in South Africa, Botswana and Zambia ?
    I will rent a 4x4 from Johannesburg and will be going to Bots and Zambia (water falls) from February 22nd to March 10.
    Thanks for your answers,
    Guyzou

Guyzo. I generally find the price of fuel double in Europe than what you pay in South Africa. As far as I know Botswana is slightly cheaper than in SA. Zambia is expensive, but how much I do not know.

Prices differ from area to area in SA. Currently petrol is around R8.00/l (0.70 Euro/l) and diesel around R7.60(0.66 Euro/l)

Fuel is freely available in SA and Botswana. It is however always advisable to have a spare jerrycan full of fuel for in case the only station in a desolate town do not have fuel.

Do not bring fuel in a jerrycan back into SA - They charge duties on that!

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2010/01/15 at 03:04 PM.

Default Radical Camper

Hi, Guys. We are planning a 2 week trip (end June to mid July) from Jhb across Bots to Windhoek and from there North to Captivi. A day to catch our breath in Chobe then South on the Hunters Road. Then back home. Does Hunters road really take as long as my G P S says? We are 12 people in 4 vehicles. ANY advice will be most welcome!