Shark attack yesterday at Ponta d'Ouro

Exclamation Shark attack 24 Dec at Ponta d'Ouro

Apparently a group of 3-5 mid-sized sharks entered the bay yesterday chasing a bait fish ball.

The water was a bit murky, and the sharks were feeding quite actively on the bait when a male swimmer was bitten a few meters from shore.

Apparently the shark first bit him on the shoulder, and when he tried to fend it off, it snapped onto his hand. He managed to ward the shark off and return to shore, but not before a final bite to his leg. Lucky for the swimmer, the injuries were not immediately life threatening.

The victim received medical attention in eMangusi, and was airlifted by private helicopter to hospital in Richards Bay shortly after the incident.

Aerial surveys later the morning confirmed that all sharks have left the bay. But tourists (and locals) were advised to stay out off the water until further notice.

Have been following the patient's uncle on Twitter, where he said that the patient had been in surgery for 4hrs15 min. His left hand had 3 tendons that were almost totally severed, while other lacerations were closed using sutures.

According to the marine management personnel, the fishing activity in the area is quite high, and the fact that most fishermen drop their bait leftovers in the bay and clean the fish on the beach might help attract the sharks. They also said that these issues will be dealt with in the near future, which should be interesting to see them enforced.

Anglers should now expect a bit more strict regulation form the local rangers.

My thoughts go out to the victim and his family, especially since it is the festive season.

Even just hearing about shark attacks, we humans get this primal gut fear and tend to want to round up a posse to go find the culprit shark. This when we after all, are entering their world.
    Last edited by RooiPiet; 2009/12/26 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added line spacing
    U-Turn Infinity

From African Diver:

Once again with many thanks to Elaine in Ponta do Ouro, here’s a more detailed account of what happened:

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 at about 14h00 a juvenile Tiger Shark came swimming into the bay of Ponta do Ouro and attacked a young man on holiday here who was playing in the surf with some friends on an inflatable lilo about 2 meters off shore. The skipper from Simply Scuba, Wayne, and James a staff member from Scuba Adventures were busy working in the launch area when they saw this guy come stumbling out the water bleeding heavily. They immediately rushed to assist and phoned Sandy from Brittlestar Guesthouse for assistance. At that stage Sandy was in Manguzi but she referred them to Karl who immediately got hold of oxygen and rushed down to the beach where the guy had already collapsed because of shock and blood loss. He had been attacked by the shark and was bitten on the upper arm/shoulder area and on his hand. Fortunately the wounds were not severe, but the poor guy was in shock and had to be stabilized. Wayne and Petro from Simply Scuba stayed with the victim while he was taken to the local clinic for attendance. Daryl, a paramedic and skipper for Gozo Azul helped to get the patient stabilized but failed to get a drip inserted into the victim’s arm. He then decided to just stop the bleeding and bandaged up where needed. The local commandant of police, arrived at the scene and gave permission for the patient to be airlifted by helicopter and taken to hospital in Manguzi. Colin, a resident of Maputo who owns a holiday home in Ponta fortunately had his helicopter in Ponta and could assist immediately. The man was flown to Manguzi Hospital and transferred to Empangeni Hospital from there. He is fine.
    After the incident holiday makers were furious with the shark and tried to catch it with their fishing rods from the beach right in front the Beach Bar. The Tiger launched out the water twice and the spectators enjoyed the view although with aggression. The shark remained in the shore breaks for the rest of the day where it was visible to all, while fishermen tried to catch it. They had it on their hooks twice but both times the shark escaped.
    This incident was discussed in all earnest with the head of marines (MPA), Miguel and Antonio the Port Captain for Ponta do Ouro. This incident was due to happen some or other time, due to the negligence of fishermen throwing fish remains over the sides of their boats after cleaning their catch in the Bay of Ponta do Ouro. Of course this will attract sharks, and if this is not going to stop immediately more unfortunate incidences like this might happen in future.
    Ponta do Ouro is a very safe and tranquil village with no shark attacks for the past 15 years since 1994 when a guy lost a foot. This is because we are naturally protected by the school of dolphins permanently staying in Ponta area. They will drive away all sharks from their territory. People must not get upset about this unfortunate incident, but fishermen have to be informed of the dangers when they throw the remains of their catch out into the water in the bay.
    Many thanks to all locals in Ponta involved in the very quick and rapid assistance to this poor guy. We all appreciate the wonderful way in which this was done.

Sheesh! Thanks for the report, RooiPiet and Doug

Am I mistaken or did a guy lose an arm and leg of the Moz coast to a shark earlier this week? Or is this the same incident?

Some fishermen are notorious for not following safe protocols when gutting fish and this will attract sharks, in many cases tiger sharks and they are aggressive enough to pose a danger.

Also swimming in murky water is a big no-no for me personally.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

Hi Fatboy

Same incident. Just sensationalized by typical irresponsible media reporting
    U-Turn Infinity

The was actually a correction on some radio news bulletins yesterday with regards the injuries sustained.

Rainer, the water at Ponto is very seldom murky and in this case it doesn't appear that it was.
    Last edited by DouglasN; 2009/12/26 at 10:55 AM.

Hi Doug,

I was referring to RooiPiet's report that the water was murky.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

Thanx for the updates DougN. Appreciate it. I'm in Tanzania and don't listen to SA radio news reports, but it is commendable of them to actually try to correct their previous inaccurate reports.

Fatboy, I agree, stay out of the water if the conditions aren't ideal.

I'm heading out to Ponta in a few days. There I'll first spend a few days keeping a lookout for sharks while I'll be sitting on the beach, and enjoying one or two cold ones while I build up courage to jump in the ocean
    Last edited by RooiPiet; 2009/12/26 at 01:43 PM.
    U-Turn Infinity

Default Ponto sharks

My previous post on this seems to have gone missing in cyberspace... The bit in the report about the dolphins fending off sharks at Ponto isn't entirely correct. My personal observations are of sharks and dolphins very often feeding together or otherwise completely ignoring each other. Indeed I can't see why dolphins would want to have anything to do with sharks unless they were defending injured or new-borns. The incidence of shark attacks is also bound to increase when you have a robust existing natural shark population (as occurs off Ponto) coming into contact with more & more humans as Ponto's popularity increases. In simple terms more swimmers means more interactions and so more potentially negative outcomes. Besides the drawcard of fish offal the sharks at this time of the year become much bolder and confrontational than at other times. This seasonal change could be as a result of being energised by associated rising sea temperatures or might be due to competitive pressure (as there are definately more sharks to be seen in summer and the food sources come under pressure). Who knows could be even some sort of hormonal thing that happens that makes them 'snappy'.
    Last edited by Cyberfish; 2009/12/27 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammer

Hi All,

I was actually on the beach when the attack happened. In the while that i have been going to Ponta for December vacations i have not seen one fisherman dumping anything in the bay! Once boats are beached they are loaded onto a trailer and taken to a wash bay where there is an area for cleaning fish and a pit for dumping guts and other remains.

There were four sharks spotted in the bay after the attack had happened. I suspect these sharks were attracted by blood in the water. One of the guys that hooked the shark managed to get the shark onto the Beach when his line snapped and the shark rolled back into the surf.

My feelings are that this shark was sick as the shark hardly put up a fight. This guy managed to pull the shark out in less than five minutes. A fish of this size will take you a good 30 to 40 minutes to pull out of the water.

There were no warnings issued to stay out of the water and Simply Scuba made a big commotion when the guys started trying to catch the animal. They were quickly chased off the by a mob of locals.

Below is a report from News 24:

Man recounts Moz shark attack

12/29/2009 9:51:57 AM
    Johannesburg - The South African man who survived a shark attack in southern Mozambique last week says it will be a long time before he dares to go back into the sea.

Peter Fraser, 27, of Rustenburg, was speaking on his arrival at OR Tambo International Airport on Monday after he was discharged from a hospital in Richards Bay.

He said he survived the attack by a Zambezi shark, in calm water at Ponta d’Ouro, by hitting the creature with a flipper.

“I don’t think I am unlucky that I was attacked so much as lucky to have survived,” he said.

Wounds

He did not (as reported by Sapa on Sunday) lose any limbs in the attack, but doctors had to close a wound more than 20cm long on his back. The shark also bit a chunk of flesh from his right shoulder, and bit his right upper and forearm, his chest and his right hand.

“During the attack I felt nothing. It wasn’t sore. Only when I got out of the water and saw the blood did I realise how serious it was,” he said.

The attack lasted only seconds. “I first felt the thing bump my legs, but I couldn’t see anything in the dark water. Only later, when I hit its head away, I realised it was a shark.”

He estimated the shark was about two metres long.

“One always hears what you should do during an attack, but in the heat of the moment, I couldn’t really think of anything. I just wanted to get away.”

'We were in their world'

Fraser said he doesn’t think the attack could have been prevented. “We weren’t in deep; the water was about shoulder height. It was just a case of, we were in their [the sharks’] world, not them in ours.”

Fraser’s girlfriend, Nicolene Latsky, 27, who witnessed the attack, said he had lost a lot of blood by the time he got out of the water.

Her father, Kobus Latsky, loaded Fraser on his bakkie and raced him to a first-aid post. From there, Fraser was airlifted by helicopter to Manguzi at Kosi Bay in northern KwaZulu-Natal.

“They couldn’t treat him there, so he was flown to Empangeni hospital, where they operated for four-and-a-half hours to close the wounds,” she said.

The next day, Fraser was transferred to a hospital in Richards Bay to recover.

Click here to read the rest of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by Budda View Post
    Hi All,

I was actually on the beach when the attack happened. In the while that i have been going to Ponta for December vacations i have not seen one fisherman dumping anything in the bay! Once boats are beached they are loaded onto a trailer and taken to a wash bay where there is an area for cleaning fish and a pit for dumping guts and other remains.

There were four sharks spotted in the bay after the attack had happened. I suspect these sharks were attracted by blood in the water. One of the guys that hooked the shark managed to get the shark onto the Beach when his line snapped and the shark rolled back into the surf.

My feelings are that this shark was sick as the shark hardly put up a fight. This guy managed to pull the shark out in less than five minutes. A fish of this size will take you a good 30 to 40 minutes to pull out of the water.

There were no warnings issued to stay out of the water and Simply Scuba made a big commotion when the guys started trying to catch the animal. They were quickly chased off the by a mob of locals.

Below is a report from News 24:

Man recounts Moz shark attack

12/29/2009 9:51:57 AM
    Johannesburg - The South African man who survived a shark attack in southern Mozambique last week says it will be a long time before he dares to go back into the sea.

Peter Fraser, 27, of Rustenburg, was speaking on his arrival at OR Tambo International Airport on Monday after he was discharged from a hospital in Richards Bay.

He said he survived the attack by a Zambezi shark, in calm water at Ponta d’Ouro, by hitting the creature with a flipper.

“I don’t think I am unlucky that I was attacked so much as lucky to have survived,” he said.

Wounds

He did not (as reported by Sapa on Sunday) lose any limbs in the attack, but doctors had to close a wound more than 20cm long on his back. The shark also bit a chunk of flesh from his right shoulder, and bit his right upper and forearm, his chest and his right hand.

“During the attack I felt nothing. It wasn’t sore. Only when I got out of the water and saw the blood did I realise how serious it was,” he said.

The attack lasted only seconds. “I first felt the thing bump my legs, but I couldn’t see anything in the dark water. Only later, when I hit its head away, I realised it was a shark.”

He estimated the shark was about two metres long.

“One always hears what you should do during an attack, but in the heat of the moment, I couldn’t really think of anything. I just wanted to get away.”

'We were in their world'

Fraser said he doesn’t think the attack could have been prevented. “We weren’t in deep; the water was about shoulder height. It was just a case of, we were in their [the sharks’] world, not them in ours.”

Fraser’s girlfriend, Nicolene Latsky, 27, who witnessed the attack, said he had lost a lot of blood by the time he got out of the water.

Her father, Kobus Latsky, loaded Fraser on his bakkie and raced him to a first-aid post. From there, Fraser was airlifted by helicopter to Manguzi at Kosi Bay in northern KwaZulu-Natal.

“They couldn’t treat him there, so he was flown to Empangeni hospital, where they operated for four-and-a-half hours to close the wounds,” she said.

The next day, Fraser was transferred to a hospital in Richards Bay to recover.
    Click here to read the rest of the story...

My cousin was in the water at the time of the atack and his version is the same as this one in all details except that the shark was between 2m and 2.8m in size.

Good luck to the victim... wish him a speedy recovery. This story should get him a few free drinks in the local watering spots!
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

It is nice to see that mr Fraser is a logical guy and knows that the sharks are not the enemy just at the wrong place at the wrong time type of thing,as he said he was in "their world" i tag and release sharks and come into contact verry often at macassar beach with bronze whalers white and raggetooth sharks these things has been around for eons and if we were realy targeted we would have shark attacks every day these animals are amazingly clever and very strong and cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by vossie1 View Post
    It is nice to see that mr Fraser is a logical guy and knows that the sharks are not the enemy just at the wrong place at the wrong time type of thing,as he said he was in "their world" i tag and release sharks and come into contact verry often at macassar beach with bronze whalers white and raggetooth sharks these things has been around for eons and if we were realy targeted we would have shark attacks every day these animals are amazingly clever and very strong and cunning.
    Something interesting to take note of which I read this morning. I will quote and not translate. "
    Ligloop vir persepsies

Het jy geweet meer mense sterf jaarliks regoor die węreld aan vallende kokosneute as aan haai-aanvalle. Regtig! Die haai-navorser George Burgess bevind dat gemiddeld 150 mense jaarliks sterf as gevolg van kokosneute wat op hulle koppe val. Dit is 15 maal meer as al die mense wat jaarliks węreldwyd aan haai-aanvalle sterf. Laasgenoemde gebeure haal egter elke keer die koerantopskrifte. Mense kry angsaanvalle oor flieks soos "Jaws," en sit versteen voor National Geographic se programme oor haaie, maar niemand sal dit ernstig opvat as daar 'n fliek soos "Killer Coconut Tree" gemaak sou word nie."

Default Shark Bite Causes.

The reality with nature is SHARKS EAT FISH.... WHERE EVER FISH GO... SO DO SHARKS... Hmmmm.

It's not because of some bait being thrown out by fisherman... it'sb becuase we have LONG LINERS marauding and raping our coastlines and stealing BILLIONS OF kg's of fish from our eco system... Sharks - no longer have sufficient food and so they HAVE to come in closer to get food.

Ask ANY diver on the reefs, there are more sharks now than ever before.
    Right from Zavora down past shelly beach, the sharks are breeding like wildfire.

Fishermen at Zavora seldom had problems with landing fish from the reefs, and now 80%+ of their fish are eaten by the sharks before thay can land them.

Shelly beach is the same. These are so many sharks there that many times 100% of your catch are taken by the TAX man...!

Recreational fishing, when compared to long liners "raping" our oceans, account for less than 0.1% of the fish taken from our shores....YES LESS than 0.1%.

What recreational fisherman take out in, total, in a year, is less than what a foreign long liner takes out from our oceans in just 1 DAY!

For some money (Few million $'s), our Ministers alllow Eastern Factory long liners to irrevocably ravage our reefs and fish stocks so they can make dog food and engage in other commercial revenue generating processing with OUR fish.

I have heard of 400 hundred fishermen going out fishing for 2 or 3 days, and less than 40-60 fish are caught in total. I have been fishing for 8 full days, and not had 1 bite!

We are allowing our oceans to be depleted... of shark food... which is causing the ever growing numbers of sharks to hunt harder and closer in.

Expect more sharks in your waves in the comming years. Sharks eat... fish....usually.... if they can get to them - even live ones.

If you TRY hard enough... you can blame God for everything.

Tony D

Hi Tony welcome. Must agree on your post.

.....is the sharkfin soup industry in recession?
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes P View Post
    Something interesting to take note of which I read this morning. I will quote and not translate. "
    Ligloop vir persepsies

c se programme oor haaie, maar niemand sal dit ernstig opvat as daar 'n fliek soos "Killer Coconut Tree" gemaak sou word nie."
    skerp soos n minora blade sien ek
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

TonyD ,what you doing next Sunday I give you some free lessons in fishing to improve your bites ;-)