Winch Anchor - Pull-Pal Type - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Please give us some more feedback.

Have you used it yet, is what kind of terrain and with what size winch.....I'm looking for something that can handle a double line pull on a 9000lbs winch in soft sand or hard soil.

* "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Fritzie, I'm not sure which one you have, the standard, high tensile or the Deepset 2 model. Even if it is high tensile model it only has a holding rating of 1800lbs, which is much less than any winch capable or recovering your vehicle. It could also be it's rated holding strength in the bottom of a dam and not the actual strength.
    I'm not saying Gary is wrong, because I haven't tried it myself, but on paper it doesn't look very good. I would get hold of the manufacturer and get the strength rating of the anchor, because as you might know, one of the biggest rules of recovery equipment is to only used correctly rated equipment.
    Otherwise, I would take some very serious safety precautions, because if it breaks it could kill you or a family member. I wouldn't trust a normal blanket to stop the flying weight if that anchor breaks, tie a strong rope to the anchor and winch cable and attach it to to something substantial nearby like your sparewheel placed on the ground to catch the flying weight.

Just be careful when you use it!

I agree with Barto. Keep in mind that a boat anchor normally works in conjunction with quite a length of chain and effectivly it is the weight of the chain that holds the boat and the anchor is there to keep the end of the chain in one place.

I have a Pull-Pal on loan from a buddy and I can tell you there is a big difference between this and a 5 kg Danforth or even Bruce anchor. Even the new style sea anchors are designed more along the lines of the Pull-Pal than the Bruce or Danforth. There holding powers are significantly higher than these old style anchors.

As Barto said, a boat floating on the end of a piece of springy nylon with a anchor chain that is designed to put some spring into the mooring is not going to apply anywhere close to the 4-6t of load you will put on your winch anchor. I bet you those flukes will bend and twist if you apply 4t to it.

The Pull-Pal also gets grip far deeper down than a boat anchor. So in mud and sand it works far better. Plus it is really really strong and weighs a lot more than 5kg.
    Pierre
    94 Patrol, 35" STT2's, Air Suspension, lots of bits, Soon to have VH45 V8

Only bought the anchor two weeks ago so I haven't used it yet. I am fitting a T-max winch on Wednesday. Agree with your sentiments on safety and I will try to use all necessary precautions including your suggestions. Thanks for the tips.

My Condor is not the heaviest 4x4 around so I will go with Gary's reccommendation. He says he used the Danforth successfull for years and I have no reason to doubt him. In sand he suggest it should be buried at least 75cm deep.

I think the key is to bury the anchor deep in to the ground making the ground acting as a buffer when someting goes wrong (depending where it breaks). And looking at the actual anchor and how it is constructed it certainly don't look if its going to break easily.

And there is obviously a difference on how the application would work on a boat wher the anchor bites only onto the the surfuce of the sand (and therefore I suppose the "holding rating" would be much less than the "breaking" rating) as opposed to a 4x4 application where the anchor is buried deep into the ground and should bite effectively even for a 4kg anchor.

Therefore I don't think it is so much about the weight of the anchor per se but more about the breaking strength, the design and the effectiveness of how well it "bites" into the ground. Maybe it is not a good example but just look at a good quality D or a bow-shackle. It is small and lightweight but got a high breaking strength. The Pull-pal l am sure is highly effective but for me much too bulky to carry around on a long overlanding trip.

I think with recovery common sense should prevail and decisions should be made based on each unique situation. The vehicle should be prepared before recovery and not left for the winch and anchor to do everything eg. lifting and clearing mud/sand in front of the wheels etc.
    Last edited by Fritzie; 2006/11/28 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2