Question Problem with Garmin 276C ???

The 276C was for a long time and still is the Rolls Royce of GPS's.

A friend of mine recently bought 2 maps from T4A. His 276C couldn't communicate with his PC to load the new maps. After some time on the telephone with Avnic Rrading he realised that his mapsouce was out dated. So he updated the mapsource and Avnic Trading help him to load new drives for the GPS as well.

He manged to load the new maps on the gps, only to find out that his gps freeze and the only way to get going again, was to take the battery out and try to switch it on again. Eventually he send it in to Avnic Trading who sorted the problem out, or so he thought. After a few days the gps was back and he tried it out a few days on his way to work. Everything worked well and he put it a way for a few weeks.

When he tried to switch it on again, the gps freezes. The problem is back?? After some lenghty with Jason Reddy at Avnic, Jason recommened a "core exchange" for the gps at about R 1 760.00 plus vat. He also said that the most problems that AVNIC Trading are getting, are from people using T4A? This is very strange to me, as their are thousands of T4A users with garmin gps's Jason, then said that he can't stop my friend from using T4A, but that he wouldn't recommend it for the abovementioned reason

He then followed the issue up with a consultant at T4A. The lady, quite knowledgable about gps's, as one would expect, said to him that T4A maps cant caused such problems and refer him to a dealer, which she trusts, for remedy of the problem.

So, my questions are;

1. Have other guys experienced the same problem with this gps?
    2. How was it solved?

or is somebody in to make a few quick bucks??

Feedback will be appreciated.

Thanx

Fanie

Fanie 1

2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 Cdi F/style cab 4x4

Previously: Mazda BT-50 2011 2.5 F/style cab 4x4
    Before that: Nissan Patrol 1998 4500GRX
    Before that: Nissan Patrol 4.2 GLS 1995
    Before that: Nissan Sani D/C 3.0 L 1995

I run GarMAP 2009 quite happily with a relatively old version of T4A on my 276C without any problems. There are issues with the newer routable versions of T4A and certain Garmin GPS receivers, not necessarily all of them though.

I would suggest your friend downloads all maps to his PC so he has a copy stored and then only load the Garmap and see what happens then.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Thanx F_D,

After further investigation it was found that the gps can't be reset and the only way to get it going again will be to do the "core exchange". Luckily this will be done with a 12 month guarantee.

Regards

Fanie

Fanie 1

2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 Cdi F/style cab 4x4

Previously: Mazda BT-50 2011 2.5 F/style cab 4x4
    Before that: Nissan Patrol 1998 4500GRX
    Before that: Nissan Patrol 4.2 GLS 1995
    Before that: Nissan Sani D/C 3.0 L 1995

I have in the past and still do run all versions of garmap and all versions of T4A, and various combinations of these on various Nuvis.
    Never had the kind of trouble described. Never.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=

I've been running T4A since its humble beginnings and currently got the latest version running on my 276c without any problems.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fanie1 View Post
    After some lenghty with Jason Reddy at Avnic, Jason recommened a "core exchange" for the gps at about R 1 760.00 plus vat. He also said that the most problems that AVNIC Trading are getting, are from people using T4A?
    If Jason implies that software can cause hardware to fail, Jason needs to be fired.