12V Boat Winch - questions

Default 12V Boat Winch - questions

Hi all

This is just a question to gauge some opinions...

Tooltime (also known as Adendorff Machinery Mart) has a 12v Boat Winch which I was wondering might be a worthwhile budget alternative to a "proper" winch. (the Product Code is GWinch-500). It's rated ar 5000lbs so just under 2500kg.

The thought was that it might be useful as a portable winch which you could move to the side of the vehicle that needed it. The vehicle it would be going on would be a 4x4 Condor. Now if you use a snatch block you could double up the rating and use it for self recovery, and also use it for other purposes (including boats).

I know the best would be to get a dedicated winch and bullbar, but that one will be looking at upwards of R9k for this, which is simply out of the question.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Default Re: 12V Boat Winch - questions

Hmmmm I'd rather go for the KEW, also from Adendorff. Current have Barto's in my vehicle, used once worked great. Not the fastest, but also the cheapest!

SimonB,
    I have both the boat winch and the KEW8000. The boat winch is just that, I doubt if you were seriously stuck that this one will get you out. It has no reverse and a hand operated clutch and is noisy in operation.. The KEW8000 is a far better option. If you were closer to the East Rand I would gladly let you try out the boat winch so that you could form your own opinion.

Regards,
    Johann.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Amadisco You talking about the KEW 2000 or the 8000? Big difference in price...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

There is only one thing scarier than a snatch gone wrong, and that is a winching exercise gone wrong. Normally it is cables braking, and normally it is due to the winch not being strong enough and then the vehicle does not move and bang. A winch is probaly one of the least used offroad accessories. I think for 2 reasons, they are purchased for the wrong reasons and are bloody scary to use. Hence the more frequent use of synthetic to replace the cable. I think if your winch is strong enough for your vehicle (estimated to need pulling power of 1.5x vehicle mass), attached properly and you are comfortable using it from a safety point of view you'll use it a lot more. Idon't know what the Condor weighs so 2500kg might be enough. just do the calc on a fully loaded vehicle

This is not to say that the boat winch won't work. I'd rather though spend the money on the bar and maybe get something like the Mudcreeper 12000lb or KEW 10000lb if you are looking at getting a really potent winch for very little money. At the end of the day the cost saving is not really that big for the boat winch vs the real thing. The cost still comes in in attaching the thing safely to your vehicle. If you doble line a 2.5t you end up with 5 t(obvioulsy) and that still needs to be attached VERY well to your vehicle. Imagine the whole damn winch flying off the vehicle with 5t worth of energy in it.

So even if you save money on the winch, it will still cost you to attach it to the vehicle. Spend the money on the bar. Then buy the winch much later. I am getting rid of my Warn M8000 to put in a 8274 hi-mount with a larger motor. The 8000lb is too light for my Patrol. Bought an old 8274 and will rebuild it with a new 6hp motor and 150' of synthetic. Should still work out to less than a new Warn 12000lb. But the Mudcreeper 12000lb with its 6hp motor is a very good deal. On the Condor any winch might be a problem, unless you have aftermarket suspension like OME the winch and bar might be too heavy for the front.

Pierre
    94 Patrol, 35" STT2's, Air Suspension, lots of bits, Soon to have VH45 V8

Surely if a winch is not strong enough to pull the vehicle the actual winch will crash and burn but not the cable break?

So when they design the winch, which do you think they wil make the weakest link. If the motor burns out you have a warranty claim, if the cable breaks you are at fault. Abuse. Motors generally overheat as well and normally do so before the cable breaks. The condition though that cables break under are when the load is too high. This is generally when the vehicle is stuk so the winch can't get it out. And it does not happen that often. With any vehicle recovery you want to take all precautions to be safe. Are you going to feel safe when you use a undersized winch?
    Pierre
    94 Patrol, 35" STT2's, Air Suspension, lots of bits, Soon to have VH45 V8

Not wanting to steal the thread, but rather a question on winching. Logically I would think that a slower winch would yield better results than a faster winch. So when looking at winches is the weight rating the only factor?
    Sander<br><br>'96 Range Rover 4.0 SE<br>Full OME kit & ARB Locker<br> Snyman 4x4 Custom Bumpers & Sliders<br>Hercules ATR 265/75/16<br>GME GX300 29MHz & FD-150A VHF Radio

Rangie, No there are two factors you need to look at. On top or inside. What I mean is, you get the regular winch that sits on top of your bull bar or the slim line that is hidden behind the Bull bar. ( motor on top of winch drum or next to the winch drum)
    The other is the weight factor.

I have seen a 3 ton winch pulling and I could not tell the difference in speed between the 3 ton and my 4.3 ton

I hope this helps.
    Willem
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=334&dateline=12167411  73Echo 3 Trailer with all the goodies.
    FJ Cruiser (Stompie)

Rangie,

Your conciderations when buying is more or less as follow: pulling power, reliability or reliability, pulling power, applicational use, after sales service/parts and value for money. The speed for me at least, only comes into play when winching in the cable when you are done with your recovery. The difference in speed specs are not really that big amongst the various manufactures....

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

Looking at what people post about winch actions it is actually weird. You buy the winch for your car and your requirements, but land up using it a fair amount of times on other cars which may way exceed your carefully thought through requirements. Go figure
    Sander<br><br>'96 Range Rover 4.0 SE<br>Full OME kit & ARB Locker<br> Snyman 4x4 Custom Bumpers & Sliders<br>Hercules ATR 265/75/16<br>GME GX300 29MHz & FD-150A VHF Radio

Ja, gaan vra maar die manne wat by swodana net 'n ou moes help, op die einde van die oefening het hy seker mmer as 5 voertuie kort na mekaar moes "winch" en nie een van daai 5 het hom $ aan gebied vir wear en tear nie. en as daar iets fout gegaan het?
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    Wat trou by sy gewete bly
    As hy straf in plaas van beloning kry.
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven