Loading a Jimny - Page 9

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading a Jimny

Duncan - Any safari centre will do it for you. Get some quotes.
    I have 52l in the back of my Jimny on a slide so it pulls right out of the rear giving easy access.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Duncan - Any safari centre will do it for you. Get some quotes.
    I have 52l in the back of my Jimny on a slide so it pulls right out of the rear giving easy access.
    How about a photo? I also want a 52 liter but am scared there won't be much space left.
    Dewald

Here is my (On the top)Indel 45L plus 4 Ammo Cases , 20l Water , picnic bag and 2 sleeping bags more than enough space. The fridge door even still opens, to grab a cold one on the go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2019 Jimny GLX Manual
    2011 Jimny Zuk-Zilla
    (SOLD)

GP0057

exceptionally well packed!

Thanks guys, I see now that the fridge will fit.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Some of the fridges (National Luna is one) have lids which can open length wise or breadth wise. I bought an Indel B (very good value for money) which only opens one way- hence I put it on a slide so it slides out the back and the fridge lid is not restricted by Jimny's ceiling. You can use it without a slide as in Dude's pic. Something maybe to consider.

You may also want to install a deep cell battery for the fridge linked to a DC to DC charger - this takes up more space.

Once the rear seats are removed there is plenty of space overall in a Jimny - I have 4 ammo boxes in mine and load soft stuff - clothes etc on top of them. By way of compasrison a friend with a Landy takes six ammo boxes.

The major limitation for overlanding is not space but weight. Jimny's legal payload is only around 400kg (this includes passengers, tools and fuel). Consider extra jerry cans, water cans another spare tyre and one struggles to stay within the limits. We weigh everything before going on a trip.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2012/06/11 at 09:46 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I tested the Indels batery protection as well , I was very impressed left the fridge connected to the battery through the night , and Jimny started without any problems the next morning and all the beers where still icy cold. I decided not to put in an auxilary batttery (Takes up alot of space) , all I do is take a lead with most of the campsites have electricity so I just swop from 12V to 220V .
    2019 Jimny GLX Manual
    2011 Jimny Zuk-Zilla
    (SOLD)

GP0057

Good to hear. I guess a lot will depend on the ambient air temperature.

I would hate to wake up to a flat battery though. We usually have frozen meat in ours on the longer trips set to -5C. But for weekends away I am sure just the car battery is fine.

Guys, just make sure to strap down your stuff properly. When I rolled in my Jimny the recovery gear and compressor flying around inside luckily missed me, but it could have killed me. I don't want to imagine what a spare battery to the back of your head will do.

Sorry it's a little off topic, but something we tend to not think about.
    Dewald

I can't find mention of thick wiring to the back for a fridge ?
    Moments away from becoming an owner, Tucson on the market, started looking at Jimnys at Northcliff today…… Hope you guys are a patient lot ? Questions will start in earnest soon I hope.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    I can't find mention of thick wiring to the back for a fridge ?
    Moments away from becoming an owner, Tucson on the market, started looking at Jimnys at Northcliff today…… Hope you guys are a patient lot ? Questions will start in earnest soon I hope.
    You will love the Jimny, and the super power of a Jimny driver is patience! So ask away.

I am not sure about thicker wiring but when I bought my Jimny I asked the dealer to install an extra 12v plug in the back for a small fridge or whatever.
    Last edited by Nox; 2012/07/08 at 11:00 PM.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

Nox - where did they install it in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Nox - where did they install it in the back?
    On the left hand side, at the back in those little "compartments". So when you remove the compartment cover there is the 12v plug inside.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

I had my extra 12v socket installed at LA Sport , proper thick wire and fridge socket , cost was about R500. With my packing system design the socket was installed in the gap just above the wheel arch.
    2019 Jimny GLX Manual
    2011 Jimny Zuk-Zilla
    (SOLD)

GP0057

Default Jimny packing option

Hi,

My neighbour recently bought this 'roofbox' for extra space to carry light items (bedding etc). I think it looks a bit out of proportion on the land rover, but think it will not look too bad on the jimny. Think price was around R2500. Material is waterproof. See http://www.gear4gear.co.za/rooftop_bag.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi every one.

I'm bussy building a rased base in the back of my jimny. It will be about 100 mm of the floor. (I just want to clear the bolts on the side's)

The size would be about 900 x 900 x 100 mm round about.

I'm constructing it out of 12 or 15 mm plywood. It will have lids that can open up so that you can use the space under neath for tool storage or what ever floats your boat. I think I will work a hiding place in for cash and passports.

I have to but a standard sheet and will have left over. If it so works out that I can get two out of the sheet would anyone be interested. I just want to break even.

I'll provide you will the complete product, but I'm not planning on covering it with carpet.
    I'll even through in the bolts.

Let me know what you think, I'll post some images as soon as I have something.

PS. I'm in PTA, and I cant promise delivery in any other town or city.

I need my back seats quite often, so I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by superduper View Post
    I need my back seats quite often, so I'm out.
    For all the girlfriends you are carting around
    2019 Jimny GLX Manual
    2011 Jimny Zuk-Zilla
    (SOLD)

GP0057

Heh heh! Ask no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

This is by no means neat, or ideal, but it's free (I had these drawers in the garage). Some day I'll put something more permanent in.
    The drawers are held down with bungee cords, and each hold separate types of things, such as food that doesn't need refrigeration in one, camping goodies (tongs, torches, cable ties, etc) in another, kitchen goodies (bowls, paper towels, cleaning stuff, etc.) in another, etc.

behind it is my recovery box, and the 45L thermo-electric cooler. The stretchers, clothes bag, chairs etc go on top of the lot.
    The Greensport tent (awesome thing - pops up in 30 seconds) goes on the roof rack with the jerry can, and bedding.

As I said, not ideal, but better than nothing if you have these drawers already. I glued the vertical supports together, to prevent them popping apart.
    Second photo is the Thule roof rack and erected tent.

P.s. back seats removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jimny_pack_1.JPG 
Views:	844 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	175899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jimny_pack_2.JPG 
Views:	542 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	175900  
    It's not the size that counts, but how well it performs in the bush.
    - A Jimny -

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast