Loading a Jimny - Page 15

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Loading a Jimny

Talking

yup I must say coming up with a loading strategy for the Jimny is a challenge. I have an old big ass Nissan HB DC 4x4 which we have used for years and still have for really serious trips. However Swambo more recently bought a Jimny - the brief - without messing with the back seats come up with a packing system. Fortunately it came with a Thule, roof rack box, which frankly is indispensable. You have to have a roof box or basket for the bulky light weight stuff and for something as long as a gazebo, which is essential for our tent set up.

My solution - I made a 2 x board and spray foam in the middle "thing" that goes on top of the folded down back seats. It is lined with thin foam on the bottom side on the outside to protect the seats. It is also angled to create a flat level surface. On the top of the board goes two sets of Big Jim plastic drawers in their frames. The bottom feet of the frames were removed and screwed into the top of the board. That way you just slot the drawers and their frames into the feet. Each frame has three drawers and they face forward. In the drawers go clothes, cameras, and all the other small stuff. I riveted on plastic swivel latches to prevent the drawers sliding out. I also shoved rivits into the plastic drawer frames to keep them together and to make them stronger.

Padkos etc goes on top of drawers. There is enough room on the sides between the back windows and the drawers to slot in the tent, matrassses and other stuff. Further stuff goes on the floor behind the front seats. In the back luggage well go plastic grocery stack boxes and stacker cooler boxes, thin tall water holder and a thin 10l fuel jerrican (if needed). The drawer frames are stabilised on top by plastic pipes than connect to both sets of drawers.

It works! (tried and tested on several trips) and Swambo is happy! (Phew)

Very pleased with my Indel. Good fridge at a good price.

But the National Luna lid can be fitted 3 ways which if one does not fit a slide makes accessing the fridge easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne D View Post
    Very happy with my Indel 42 - external size fits the Juimny and internal big enough for two people.
    Wayne.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    yup I must say coming up with a loading strategy for the Jimny is a challenge. I have an old big ass Nissan HB DC 4x4 which we have used for years and still have for really serious trips. However Swambo more recently bought a Jimny - the brief - without messing with the back seats come up with a packing system. Fortunately it came with a Thule, roof rack box, which frankly is indispensable. You have to have a roof box or basket for the bulky light weight stuff and for something as long as a gazebo, which is essential for our tent set up.

My solution - I made a 2 x board and spray foam in the middle "thing" that goes on top of the folded down back seats. It is lined with thin foam on the bottom side on the outside to protect the seats. It is also angled to create a flat level surface. On the top of the board goes two sets of Big Jim plastic drawers in their frames. The bottom feet of the frames were removed and screwed into the top of the board. That way you just slot the drawers and their frames into the feet. Each frame has three drawers and they face forward. In the drawers go clothes, cameras, and all the other small stuff. I riveted on plastic swivel latches to prevent the drawers sliding out. I also shoved rivits into the plastic drawer frames to keep them together and to make them stronger.

Padkos etc goes on top of drawers. There is enough room on the sides between the back windows and the drawers to slot in the tent, matrassses and other stuff. Further stuff goes on the floor behind the front seats. In the back luggage well go plastic grocery stack boxes and stacker cooler boxes, thin tall water holder and a thin 10l fuel jerrican (if needed). The drawer frames are stabilised on top by plastic pipes than connect to both sets of drawers.

It works! (tried and tested on several trips) and Swambo is happy! (Phew)
    do You have any pic's? please?

will post pic of waeco 50l when I get home (in Cape Town for a week), if you would still like to see. you can also cut a piece of carboard and put it in the car to get an idea. The dimensions are online

Tx MsT. After a lot of toe and fro I ordered the CFX-40 from Takelot this morning. Expected delivery 8 Dec. R5300 suited my pocket.
    I must admit I am totally confused and therefore went with my instinct.
    Tx for all the help and advice.

Takelot had a one day special on the cf50 with cover for R4499. Changed my order paid the money and getting it tomorrow.
    Should I have stuck with the cfx?

haha i also got the 50l and was wondering about that. I think the dimensions are about the same....except height. Don't think it will make or break a trip! Enjoy your meat and cold beers!

50l is a good size. You won't starve!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Found the 35 litre Cfx Waeco adequate for a 10 day trip. Freeze everything and then take out daily supplies and put in cool bag

Tx for all the advice. They delivered the CF50 yesterday and it was down to -17 within an hour or so. In hindsight R4499 for the 50 with cover was an exceptional price that made more sense than the R5299 for the CFX40 without cover. Now for the roof rack today....

Its packed away but I'll get photos on asap

Hi. Has anyone weighed the Jimny backseat? Tx

yes...very good price. I paid just over 5000 3 weeks ago.....and THAT was a special too!

On our way home from Mozambique. I loaded 2 stretchers, 2 mattresses, electric 12v cooler, picnic basket, 6man dome tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pax luggage, recover kit, tool bag and other miscellaneous things behind the seats. My roof rack was still empty, but normally the camp chairs go there together with gazebo. Im busy designing a spare wheel and Jerry can carrier for the back to take the weight off the back door. Then I'll build an lightweight bracket to hold the camping table where the spare wheel used to sit.
    Edit: I forgot to mention the guitar in a guitar hardcase...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hande4Voet; 2014/12/25 at 11:33 AM.
    2013 Jimny, stofpad4x4 undies, OME suspension, DIY alu roof rack.
    2011 Jimny SOLD

Default jay4

JAY4, can you please send me the measurements for the board that you made that fit over the back seats, please, also what wood and thickness did you use.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4 View Post
    This is my set up, finding it really useful so far. I think my next mod will be to allow one of the seats to sit up if required, that will make it truly versatile. Have found no need to so far to fasted the set up down. Its measured to my exact size so my seat is rite up against the board and locks it in place.
    What's the dimensions of the board?
    2014 Jimny
    40mm spacer lift
    Gabriel Safari HDP's
    215/75/R15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Steering Damper
    K&N Filter
    TC bash plate
    Burnco Bumper

Wanted to add my 5c. We did a close to 6000km journey with a dog(crate with splash proof waterbowl, savvy dog pillow) and enough for the trip using nothing but lower and upper shelves. Just wish the quality and "fit" of the shelves Wizzy makes was better, they hardly fit.

But the setup worked well overall, and the shelving costs were about R800 each.

Two ammo crates below (clothing, one per person, easy to unload etc). Tog bags in front of them, backpack behind the seat, and bobs your uncle.
    The ammo crates were needed to keep the top shelf solid.

Last edited by marlonrc; 2015/03/07 at 02:10 PM.

2014 Jimny JB43
    Stofpad undies
    40mm Amada Xtreme Suspension
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Love it!
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HandeVierVoetJimny View Post
    This is my solution to the packing space shortage of the Jimny. Just nee to fit the indicator and brake lights with a numberplate to get it legal. Planning to use it for our Moz trip in december to carry fuel etc.

Heaviest load I've carried on it before was 60kg, and it was fine on the highway. A steel bumper will work well for counterweight.

It doesn't really have a big affect on the departure angle, only in very rough technical sections.

.... How about buying a Wecca carrier box... can it tilt to allow the back door to be opened?....
    Last edited by khotso; 2015/03/26 at 12:23 AM. Reason: missing word

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast