Kosi Bay - any fish? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kosi Bay - any fish?

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Sad hey Dracos but I can only agree. My first snorkeling at Kosi mouth 40 years ago was absolutely breathtaking. Last year was ho hum, nothing special just depressing. I won't go again.
    Very sad, it pains me to agree that I will never see Kosi again...

Many moons ago there was a ginger haired guy called Dr Scotty Kyle (Spelling?) at Kosi who worked for the parks board and managed the area. He built up good relations with the locals concerning the fish kraals and conservation. He also strictly enforced the conservation laws without exception. Not sure if he is still there or when he left. But many factors can influence the fish populations in estuaries, from gill netting to silt-tation, water extraction and pollution from the catchment area. Sad though, as most of our estuaries are suffering these effects.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

I was sent that pic from a mate who lives in Manguzi, he actually runs the Total garage there. Towards the end of November we took his boat down and did a bit of fishing, we were restricted to 3rd lake due to a big southerly which came through just after we launched. It was more of a jol than a serious fishing trip cooler box and all. We did trawl along the drop off's etc but no luck. Apparently that pic was taken in 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    Jeepers, Wayne, were you involved in that catch, and when was that?

Good to see there are still some decent sized fish in third lake if that is a recent pic.

Fishing the third lake is not something that everyone can do and involves unique techniques.

I remember going after Rock salmon in third lake. We got some big boys in the 4 - 6 kg region back in the day and got very successful in catching them. Springer, Kingfish and barracuda were some of the other species we targeted in third lake.

Man I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    If my comments regarding the fish kraals are incorrect I apologise. I lived in Manguze at one stage and spent an inordinate amount of time at the mouth and lakes, also spent lots of time talking to the kraal owners, asking in depth questions ( I speak Zulu and although the locals are mostly Tsonga the language is similar with some difference in dialect) and getting to know some of the gents. What I shared here is what they told me at the time.
    Apologies Riaan, did not mean to offend. Do not know when last you were there, but over the last 10 years things have started to deteriorate. It is as if no rules are enforced anymore, even among tourists. This year again some souls (with GP registration on their boat trailers) came charging past us in the channel between 2nd and 3rd lake, which is supposed to be a no wake zone. It seemed as if they did not even know about the rule or more worryingly, could not care less.

Have said all this, we still love Kosi and keep going back every year.

Groetnis

Koos

Hi there Guys

We love Kosi dearly and we were fortunate enough to go there 4 times in 2019 with last our trip returning to GP on 8 Jan 2020. We have been going there for many years !

As Riaan mentioned fishing Kosi lakes is very difficult and demands certain techniques. We have also noticed that Kosi has a "fishing season" which seems to be best from September to early April. We were there in May and spent 3 full days on the lakes and did not catch anything.

We were lucky and caught some very nice Grunters and River Bream in December and January, we were only targeting Grunters for the pan .... they are delicious ! So there is fish to be had. Our luck is probably more related to the fact that we always employ a gillie to help us with the fishing and to look after our boat.

We have used Eric for many years and he grew up around the lake. He has told me stories of how they caught BIG mullets by hand in the second lake by chasing them to the shallow water and then catching them by hand. He also confirmed that the fishing is not what it used to be and that netting is a major problem.

Parks Board seems to be taking the netting very seriously and ask you to contact them should you find any nets.

However I agree that its not the hey-day Kosi fishing anymore. Kosibay was legendary for fishing but those days are gone.

In the last couple of years we have noticed a massive massive increase in people in the area and whilst no new kraals are allowed we have noticed some new ones appearing. So over population is definately adding to the pressure on the lakes.

This year has been the most local people I have ever seen in Kosibay. We have never seen so many people braaing and drinking and swimming in the 3rd lake as we did this year.

Regarding the question about the salinity of the 3rd lake ... it is not nearly as salty as the first and second lake but it certainly has a little bit of salt in it.

Koos - I agree with you 100% about the boats on plane going through the channels .... we were overtaken several times by boats on plane in the channel in December. These guys are also responsible for cutting the local pedestrian-pont lines with their motors and damaging the reed beds where the fish hatcheries are.

Like Koos, my wife and I love Kosi and we will try and make as many trips there as we can, its a beautiful place with the most amazing beaches and scenery. I still believe this should be on each person's bucket list.

So definately go to Kosi, the fishing is good until early April. Improve your "luck" by getting a local to help you (I can give you Eric's number) and if you don't catch anything simply enjoy the beauty ! It helps if you have a boat but you don't even need a boat as there of lots of guys doing charters including Kosibay lodge.

Enjoy !

Some interesting comments on this thread. We have not been for a few years as we used to go there with our dam boat, and since we are now deep sea capable, we seem to either favour dbn or Sodwana. I must say we had some hairy times trying to get across third lake from Bhanga nek when the wind picked up.

I now have a bigger ski boat and would actually like to give it a try. I know we are going to pongola, so perhaps we can spend a day there on the way back? Pottering through that channel to lake two is one of lifes great experiences. I am a gautenger these days, but that channel is the one place where you see loads of small fish, and the water is usually crystal clear so a great place to hang over the front and have a gander.

What amazes me the most, is how the locals will quite happily walk down that channel with sticks on their heads, or pump for shrimp a few meters away from Hippo and such. I guess there must be occasional attrition, but by and large they seem to be happy to walk down there. I have never actually seen a croc in Kosi, although I am sure they are there, but hippos are there for sure in numbers.

Just hope the whole place is not wrecked too much in my lifetime.

the crocs are normally right at the top small lake Amanzamnyama(spelling?) and you not allowed to go up there any way. Have had issues with hippos in the channel when the have been fighting and are grumpy not nice getting past them. We normally get a fish or two and on some trips other people have got huge kingies 27kg but i have not been that fortunate yet, normal fish we get are smaller GT's 3to5kg size, lucky to get a river snapper now and then, barracuda(pick handle) they a pest and stumpies. But i always enjoy my stay there for the whole adventure of it

Kosi is really amazing!!
    There was a Newspaper article in the Mercury last week about the Gill nets they are finding, they are top quality. Between 2 boats they pulled a 4.2 km net out and found various other small ones

Here is the article
    Done with screen shot. Google will give you the storyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200116_021756_com.whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	554426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200116_021554_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	554427

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Here is the article
    Done with screen shot. Google will give you the storyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200116_021756_com.whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	554426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200116_021554_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	554427
    Thats really sad. Dudley Im worried about you. Look at the time. You should be sleeping.

Scott retired several years ago, and sadly (as is the norm these days) his post wasn't filled again
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Many moons ago there was a ginger haired guy called Dr Scotty Kyle (Spelling?) at Kosi who worked for the parks board and managed the area. He built up good relations with the locals concerning the fish kraals and conservation. He also strictly enforced the conservation laws without exception. Not sure if he is still there or when he left. But many factors can influence the fish populations in estuaries, from gill netting to silt-tation, water extraction and pollution from the catchment area. Sad though, as most of our estuaries are suffering these effects.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Scott retired several years ago, and sadly (as is the norm these days) his post wasn't filled again
    That would explain a lot. Thanks for the update.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Haven't been to Kosi for many years but gill nets are and have been a major problem for many years. We were attacked and almost killed by spear-wielding locals when we removed nets from the channel between 1st and 2nd lake in the 'seventies.

On a broader front, the world's oceans have been depleted by more than 70% by the overpopulated homo sapiens.

Having said that, there are still fish to be caught in the lakes but you need to know when, where and how. Salt water fish are extremely wary when feeding in clear, placid water like in the lakes.

Quoting Chrisv:
    "
    This year has been the most local people I have ever seen in Kosibay. We have never seen so many people braaing and drinking and swimming in the 3rd lake as we did this year."

We were at Sodwana over December 2019 - 5 Jan 2020 ,visiting family that owns property there, and they were also surprised at the amount of visitors this year... normally not that busy..

Pappa se trokkie - 2012 Isuzu KB 250 4x2 (KB72)

Swambo se faithfull - Hyundai ix35 2.0 GL /Premium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2