Kosi Bay - any fish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kosi Bay - any fish?

I'm planning a trip and taking a boat down to Kosi Bay in December 09. Has anyone been fishing the lakes and/or surf recently and how was the catches?

Thanks

JR
    98 Nissan Hardbody 3l, Front Runner detachable roof rack, own drawer system and dual battery.
    13 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 auto, Wilderness 310.

Going there this coming weekend (20-23/11/09) so I'll let you know how we get on
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional
    Suzuki Jimny
    Suzuki Grand Vitara

Just got back today!

We stayed at Bangnek from Thursday to Monday this past weekend. Weather wasn't perfect, raining 3 out of the 5 days....

From speaking to the guys there (of which there weren't many) who were fishing from boats in the lakes (2+3) as well as some surf fishermen who go up regularly..... The fishing seems to be quiet.... to bordering on bad! Whether that's down to the colder water? Guys had different opinions.

We ourselves had a bit of luck with fly in the shore break, catching a few three spot pompano/wave garrik as well as blue-fin kingfish. Drop-shot didn't produce anything

In the Lakes the guys were pulling out Grunter and Natal stump noes with limited success.

Surf fishing produced one 5kg sand shark over the weekend.....

At Kosi you seem to "need" a boat to really take advantage of the fishing the is available to you.... We didn't make it to the mouth or "black rock" due to the whole permit hassle the Natal Parks Board puts you through.

All in all, it was a enjoyable long weekend never the less.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional
    Suzuki Jimny
    Suzuki Grand Vitara

I was there a few weekends. The weather was also rainy cold and windy.
    We caught a few wave garricks at the mouth it self with dropshot and a few wave garrick and two kingfish at Black Rock.

I am sure it depends on the weather did some fishing there in nice weather and caught alot more then last trip.
    2014 Isuzu KB250 4x4 Double Cab

Thanks for the info gents.

We stayed at Bangnek from Thursday to Monday this past weekend. Weather wasn't perfect, raining 3 out of the 5 days....
    I was there a few weekendsThe weather was also rainy cold and windy
    Pity you had bad weather Johan and Roy-T. Hopefully the weather will turn up from the 16th of Dec and that the water temp will rise for some GT action. Will also take surf gear along, just in case.

We didn't make it to the mouth or "black rock" due to the whole permit hassle the Natal Parks Board puts you through
    I am aware of the permit system and limited amount of vehicles permitted per day to some areas, obviously for conservation purposes. Neverless, will try and get hold of a permit for the mouth and/or black rock for a day and explore if possible.

Regards
    Last edited by Advocatus; 2009/11/24 at 04:48 AM.

JR
    98 Nissan Hardbody 3l, Front Runner detachable roof rack, own drawer system and dual battery.
    13 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 auto, Wilderness 310.

Default Re: Kosi Bay - any fish?

Has anyone recently fished the Kosi Lakes and what was the fishing like? Planning a trip there in the next month or so.I understand the netting is a serious factor and influenced the catches of late.Any advice will be appreciated

Haven't been there lately but Kosi has been on decline for the last 10+ years, my opinion is the first lake is trapped and netted by the locals, so the fish cannot get through to the lakes as they did before to spawn, the predator fish don't follow because there is no food, thus the whole system is down, the whole pull for Kosi was the mouth, it has not been the same and pretty much won't ever be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    Haven't been there lately but Kosi has been on decline for the last 10+ years, my opinion is the first lake is trapped and netted by the locals, so the fish cannot get through to the lakes as they did before to spawn, the predator fish don't follow because there is no food, thus the whole system is down, the whole pull for Kosi was the mouth, it has not been the same and pretty much won't ever be the same.
    Wot he said!^

They trap the heck out of that place and the fish don't stand a chance, but don't worry because they are "traditional fisherman" and the rules don't apply to them. Such a pity as I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

The traps ( or fish kraals) one sees have been there for hundreds of years and as far as I'm aware no new ones are built, the families that own the traps pass them down from each generation and if you are looking for some trouble that gets sorted out only with a cane knife, try and fiddle with the kraals or try and build one next to an existing one. The families and community has subsisted like this for a very long time, reckoned at roundabout five hundred years.

One weekend there and catching no fish does not mean everything is fished out. Kosi is a notoriously difficult place to fish anyway, it either blows ice cold or is one of the top fishing venues in the country.

Fishing in general is not the same as it was, that I won't argue.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Yes the fish traps have been around for centuries but the numbers have increased. There are definitely more now than there was in the 80's and early 90's.

Having said that, this is not the main reason for the decline of fish.

Gill netting is a big problem there. I came across a net right across the canal joining second and third lake not so long ago. Phoned the parks board and they were prompt in going out and removing the net.
    Over-fishing is a worldwide problem but other factors could also affect these things.

Kosi is changing. The third lake is clearing up because there is a lot less fresh water and plant material being pushed into the system from the Malangeni river as before which changes the entire co system. I wonder if the third lake is getting more saline than it used to be? Surely it is.

I would like to see some research on the fish traps. I know studies have been done but access to them seems to be difficult.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Interesting GroundUp article

https://www.groundup.org.za/article/...all-fish_2052/

Technical one.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...m_South_Africa

Some research articles in Journals, but need to join them. Can ask SIL who has access to Journals (if you want)
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Riaan is correct in saying no more fish traps are allowed to be built, they only allowed to maintain the ones that are there already. An interesting fact I learned recently is that a study shows that more and more juvenile zambezi sharks are being caught in the fish traps of late, and they not sure the reason. Is there less food at sea or more food in the lake? Below is a pic of a ignoblilis taken in 3rd lake by what they think was a zambezi?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191120-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	554190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191120-WA0010.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	554191

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Madsen View Post
    Riaan is correct in saying no more fish traps are allowed to be built, they only allowed to maintain the ones that are there already. An interesting fact I learned recently is that a study shows that more and more juvenile zambezi sharks are being caught in the fish traps of late, and they not sure the reason. Is there less food at sea or more food in the lake? Below is a pic of a ignoblilis taken in 3rd lake by what they think was a zambezi?Click image for larger version. 

Again, my opinion, the Zambezi's are going deeper in the estuary/lakes because the fish that use to move in and out of the mouth are not there anymore, so they are forced to go deeper for easier food.

When the locals was declared indigenous and not bound by the fishing law that governs the rest of us, they started over fishing etc. things like leaf springs were used to clear mussels etc from the rock faces, within 3 days they were bare, last I was there, I did not see any mussels on the rock faces.

The worst thing is, normal fisherman with rod and reel were blamed for fish in the lakes and surrounds disappearing, yet, every odd boat going through the channels early in the morning run into nets that was set during the night, the boat was earlier than the netters so they did not have a chance to remove the nets.

I agree Kosi is one of the most beautiful places in the world but it has joined the slope downwards.

Sad hey Dracos but I can only agree. My first snorkeling at Kosi mouth 40 years ago was absolutely breathtaking. Last year was ho hum, nothing special just depressing. I won't go again.

I've heard multiple reports of people being threatened with AKs when being seen to be interfering with the gill nets. Doesn't seem that the old fashioned fish traps are the problem but more the new breed of subsistence commercial fisherman

I was there 2 weeks ago. You have to work hard and go out early. There is still fish to catch, but forget about the glorious fishing days of the past. The comments about fish kraals makes me laugh. Comparing it to the 80`s the kraals have multiplied. There are now even kraals along the southern shores of the 3rd lake. Never used to be there, but the most serious problem is gill netting as mentioned by others.

Unfortunately another pearl in Africa going towards the dumpster. So sad that this beautiful area is starting to buckle under the pressure of overpopulation, which is at the core of the problem. Everyone trying to make a living by any means possible.

Groetnis
    Koos

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Madsen View Post

Jeepers, Wayne, were you involved in that catch, and when was that?

Good to see there are still some decent sized fish in third lake if that is a recent pic.

Fishing the third lake is not something that everyone can do and involves unique techniques.

I remember going after Rock salmon in third lake. We got some big boys in the 4 - 6 kg region back in the day and got very successful in catching them. Springer, Kingfish and barracuda were some of the other species we targeted in third lake.

Man I miss those days.

We went a couple of years ago and used a boat with no success. Then we hired a gillie and had great success on Second and Third Lake. The lakes are like soup bowls, they are shallow for some ways and then there is a shelf that drops off to the deeper part of the lake.

The gillie would take us to the shelf which we located via the fishfinder, we would drop our lines on the shelf (apparently this is where the Grunter feed). We would free spool back to shore, 100 / 150m if I remember correctly. We would then sit and fish from the bank and not the boat. Caught some very nice 5kg Grunter this way.

So I cannot attest to if there are fish anymore but I can attest to the method.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    We went a couple of years ago and used a boat with no success. Then we hired a gillie and had great success on Second and Third Lake. The lakes are like soup bowls, they are shallow for some ways and then there is a shelf that drops off to the deeper part of the lake.

The gillie would take us to the shelf which we located via the fishfinder, we would drop our lines on the shelf (apparently this is where the Grunter feed). We would free spool back to shore, 100 / 150m if I remember correctly. We would then sit and fish from the bank and not the boat. Caught some very nice 5kg Grunter this way.

So I cannot attest to if there are fish anymore but I can attest to the method.
    The method you describe is pretty much in line with my experiences.

We used to anchor just above those drop off-s on the Northern side and drop bait on the edge. Sometimes even spent the night on the boat fishing. Light, Very light tackle used.

Third lake gets to around 30 meters at its deepest spot. I know of a few boating incidents on that lake over the years and there is at least a few wrecks lining the bottom.
    In a strong South-wester that lake can become a nightmare to navigate, even with a decent boat.

Just seen this article with a few fishing tips

https://showme.co.za/lifestyle/fishi...mans-paradise/

If my comments regarding the fish kraals are incorrect I apologise. I lived in Manguze at one stage and spent an inordinate amount of time at the mouth and lakes, also spent lots of time talking to the kraal owners, asking in depth questions ( I speak Zulu and although the locals are mostly Tsonga the language is similar with some difference in dialect) and getting to know some of the gents. What I shared here is what they told me at the time.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast