Safari Centre Service????

Thumbs down Safari Centre Service????

On visiting Safari Centre in Bryanston last month I was informed that as they are distributors of the Conqueror range of trailers they could service my Conquest trailer for an amount of R800.

I asked what a "service" entailed and was informed that they would check, clean and repack the wheel bearings, grease all of the grease points, check and re-tighten where necessary all nuts & bolts, check and adjust the brakes and touch up any stone chips on the painted/powder coated surfaces.

As I am planning a trip to Moz in Dec I thought it prudent to take up the offer and duly booked my baby in for her service and was told that it would take half a day. I dropped of the trailer early on Monday 02 November and before I left asked the guys to clean off the leaf springs and give them a liberal spray with Q20 or similar to allieviate a slight squeak when travelling on uneven surfaces. I also asked them to re-attach wiring to two of the Hella sockets that had broken off (wiring is not Mega Manufacturers stong point!).

When I picked up my trailer I was given an invoice for R1275 due to the fact that they had removed all of the leaf springs cleaned them packed them with grease and refitted them and for fixing the two faulty sockets. I was a little shocked at the charge but thought that at least my baby has had a good service for once.

On getting the trailer home I found that none of the stone chips had been touched up, the water pump filter had not been cleaned (a two minute job!), not a single hinge or linkage anywhere had been greased or oiled and I found one or two loose nuts and bolts.

I called Danie at Safari Centre and asked if they had cleaned the water filter. He said that it was not on their checklist. I also mentioned that none of the hinges or linkages had been lubricated. Again he said that these were not on his checklist. I then said that surely common sense would dictate that some basic lubrication of hinges and linkages should be expected. He again referred to his checklist.

I will certainly not bother taking my trailer back to Safari Centre for a so called "service". I think that what they charge is a rip-off considering what they actually do (or don't do). It's not as though it needed an oil change and some new filters!!!

Like my Gran always said "if you want something doing properly, do it yourself!"

My baby is now ship shape and ready for anything and I enjoyed every minute of pampering her myself!

Cheers
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by GR8BRIT View Post
    that they had removed all of the leaf springs cleaned them packed them with grease

Hmm.....

Do you mean that they've actually smeared grease on the springs? I've never heard of that! The grease will trap dust, and it will become a tough cloggy mess! I would clean that out, let hear what the other members have to say.

PS: I checked my Conquests', and they're dry!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

That grease with dirt will turn into grinding paste, they should use Teflon spray. R1250 . This job will not take more than 2 hrs (3 tops). That means these okes are charging R400-R600/hr. We do 3 weeks training per year (2 okes) in Germany at around R50 000 a pop and charge R700/hr to service our lasers. And yes, it is rocket science and not a doff oke with a wheel spanner and grease gun. What a rip-off, damn thieves.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

MMMMMMMMM Thanks for the information !

Im again worried they have charged so little! Doing brakes, stone chips etc etc for R800? cant keep n business running. Besides the point. Some of the Safari centres are privately owned like boksburg
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Im again worried they have charged so little! Doing brakes, stone chips etc etc for R800? cant keep n business running. Besides the point. Some of the Safari centres are privately owned like boksburg
    Hell Herman, R800 vir 'n trailer! Dis baie! En daar is nie regtig consumables behalwe vir Ghries nie. Ek het altwee bearings op myne afehaal, gewas, gepak en terug gesit in 20 minute!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

My vrou se peugot se diens is nie eers so duur nie!
    Mazda BT 50
    2013 auto 3.2 4x4
    (aka Mazdarati)
    Towing our moblie home
    Imagine Comfortvan

Don't get confused between my personality & attitude. My Personality is who I AM, my attitude depends on who YOU are!!!