Got the RTT , now what ?

Default Got the RTT , now what ?

Hi Guys ,

Im now the proud owner of a "series 1 " eezi awn . Its a few years old , well taken care of , no tears , broken fixings etc . Just what i need to trial .

It seems to be made of " genuine" ultra heavy canvas , almost a thick as denim . IIRC The newer models seem to be made from a lighter synthetic canvas with a slightly rubberised finish .

The canvas seems very dry , almost as if it needs waterproofing (excuse the pun). However i seem to recall that "genuine" canvas becomes waterproof when it absorbs and holds water , whereas the modern canvas has a water repellent finish .

It needs a new cover , should i get eezi awn to ship to durban or have one made locally ?

The mattress is a little firm for us , and im contemplating having one cut and covered , would it be unwise to add 50mm to the thickness , concerned about closure 2x50mm=100mm. Any idea's on material spec for the foam ?

There's a few questions to keep the fundi's busy for a while , always appreciated . any search links appreciated too , didnt have much luck .
    Last edited by PGJ; 2009/11/09 at 11:04 PM.

I would check the cost difference between covers - you might find it to be about the same price.

Mattresses are a difficult decision - I bought a thin high density foam for the bottom and glued a thicker medium foam on top of it - same thickness as the original but now I dont feel the base even lying on my side.

I wouldnt add to the thickness unless it still fits without placing stress on the hinges.

Get yourself a piece of thick plastic with eyes on the corners to use as a flysheet should you find it a little wet one night.

and when all thats done, lets see some pics

PGJ,

You could try adding 20mm of "Memory Foam" to the existing mattress, but whilst it can be really comfortable the downside is that it can get a bit warm. You haven't really got enough depth to ever get it really luxurious.

The covers are the real problem with most of the traditional rooftents. I've seen two people struggle for 10 minutes just to get the cover off, climbing on top of the car in the process. Getting it back on can be worse, and they always seem to just hang all over the side of the car when the tent is up obstructing access to the vehicle. So, my suggestion is to get one made locally, but put some thought into it first and see if you can do it a bit better than the original manufacturer.

Finally, be very careful to always support the front edge of the tent such that it puts the door panel and zip under the right amount of tension. Too much and it won't last your first trip. Too little and it is difficult to zip, and the fabric won't be tense enough to be water-resistant.

One day, someone will design a much better system!

Mike

......Oh, and what to do next? Head off into the bush, of course!
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Thanks , i like the idea's of extra mattress depth . And will be careful not to overstress seams and zips when setting my ladder height .

Any idea's on cleaning , maybe a light scrib with a broom and omo , blast off with fresh water

Ive ordered a new cover from Eezi Awn agents in Durban , Mr.Winch . Price to be confirmed but around R500.00 .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    ......Oh, and what to do next? Head off into the bush, of course!
    Will be heading to the closest campsite this weekend to iron out all the gremlins , and then its def off to the bush/beach . Thanks Mike .

Careful about cleaning this! Some canvas tents have a water-proofer added, and washing will remove it. I did this once and got very, very wet indeed.

There is a product over here called something like "Tent-Cleaner" which is where I would start. Go along to an outdoor equipment shop and ask them.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd