Post a photo of your Jeep here please - Page 9

Page 9 of 235 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 ... LastLast

Andre they're 17" 235/65/17 Wranglers if I remeber correctly.
    A piece of scrap 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.1 TD that never seems to stop breaking!
    Don't expect Merc to ever give an answer!
    Jeep forgot to include a couple of other things in the service schedule.
    <hr>

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post

Bit of a dumb question but, are GC's and other Jeeps for that matter suppose to climb over and through things without much PT, or am I not trying 8) hard enough 8) ! Just asking since having seen and heard some other makes, or is the driver classification
    Hou my brand-hick en coke en watssh hierie move!
    Biggles and Gorman I got to agree on that you all have really great looking XJ Jeeps i really like them.

Winston the GC is a great jeep and not to be underestimated. I have had off road experience with it. You need to pick the rite line and you get through most grate 4 trails but just remember your limited ground clearance so you will be hanging up a bit, its the exhaust in the center that will catch first so keep a look out for that. Other that that its good. Replace the shocks with OME or some thing like that they are longer, it will give you a little more articulation. A OME 40mm lift will make a world of difference. Id try iron man its cheaper and iv been told its as good. If some has used them id be keen to hear what you think of iron man

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Id try iron man its cheaper and iv been told its as good. If some has used them id be keen to hear what you think of iron man
    Very happy with the Ironman Suspension so far, these pics give an idea of the articulation possible after the upgraded suspension and the front swaybar disconnected.

See this link

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Big Hilux Guest

Very Impressive indeed, well done, now we need some pic's of you and your awesome vehicle out 4x4ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hilux View Post
    Very Impressive indeed, well done, now we need some pic's of you and your awesome vehicle out 4x4ing.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead.php?t=7074

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Lifting is somewhere on the list. First need to figure out where the pit starts.
    Maybe I need to speak to the boss about that .

The exhuast is ok. There is a bar underneath the transfercase that stick out a bit further, I have hear it scraping over hard mud once. Will probably get stuck on that first.
    A piece of scrap 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.1 TD that never seems to stop breaking!
    <hr>

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Lifting is somewhere on the list. First need to figure out where the pit starts.
    Maybe I need to speak to the boss about that .

The exhuast is ok. There is a bar underneath the transfercase that stick out a bit further, I have hear it scraping over hard mud once. Will probably get stuck on that first.
    Winston the GC i have dealings with is a V8, glad to hear you don't have that problem because its quite exposed and easy to damage on the V8. What GC do you have? ZJ (1993-98
    ) WJ (1999-04) WK (2005- to present)? All the mods come with time just take your time and do it rite.

Jeepster i like your XJ looking at it makes me want to go out and get one! Iv heard that iron man are good and i was going to give the front coils a try on my KJ but that would be my third set up front and it seems fine now so ill let sleeping dogs lay! Just makes you think though how do OME come out at R9 800 for there lift (that's what i payed i 2004) Iron man do it for under 6 grand?
    Last edited by ShaneJKA; 2007/02/15 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Needed smilies for Winston hehe

JeepOnly Guest

Default Iron Man on GC.

I think someone asked recently about Iron man kit on the Grand Cherokee. A friend of mine installed the Iron man shocks and springs Oct 2006 on his 2000 model GC for around R4950,00 and is very happy with the performance of the shocks. Then again his old ones had done 180 000km. He is fairly certain that there is no improvement in height over the old ones, but the ride has been greatly improved.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepOnly View Post
    He is fairly certain that there is no improvement in height over the old ones, but the ride has been greatly improved.
    I can't comment on the GC, but on the Cherokee, I got 45mm front and 65mm lift in the rear.

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Yes, was very dissapionted with the front articulation... I guess thats the sway bars fault. I am very impressed with the Jeep, looks flash and goes well. The diesel is abit sluggish and heard mixed opions on reliability. But its propberbly the same as with most things... look after it and it will last. Something most people ignore is that a turbo needs to wind down... you don't just start and pull away you need to wait for oil pressure to rise.

Jeepster, am way impressed with the iron-man lift kit you have. Haven't done any axle twisting offroad yet though, so not needing more clearance and articulation just yet.

Next time I am back in country and going to play will get hold of you Gorman
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Jeepster, am way impressed with the iron-man lift kit you have. Haven't done any axle twisting offroad yet though, so not needing more clearance and articulation just yet.
    Just wait, you'll need it someday. First thing you'll need it for is for the fitment of bigger tyres, and secondly, with the improved articulation it helps to keep all four paws on the ground, thus helping with traction. Especially true as we don't have diff-lock, and I'm not planning on importing an ARB diff-lock at enormous cost just yet.

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Hi Jeepster what rear diff does your XJ have? If I'm not mistaken you should have a corp 8.25 the same as my KJ 29 depending on the year its a 27 or 29 spline, if its a 97 on ward it should be a 29. The 8.25 is oval and flat on the bottom, no drain and a rubber filling plug. There are a lot of options for it. The ARB air locker is available x stock from 4x4 mega world or most 4x4 places. They are costly mine was R12 000 with fitting, if you don't have abs on the rear diff like the KJ you don't need to have the abs ring gear machined so its not a big job to do and can save the fitting cost? You can do it on the jeep no need to remove the axle and only one hole to drill.

I can say that a diff lock can take some fun out of 4x4ing as you got to try really hard to get stuck. So you start to go more ex-stream cant wait for the front one! It does take a lot of stress of the jeep as you can mover over things a lot slower and stop if need be and go on. But its when you out in the middle of no where and all on your own that's when you want one, other wise R 12 grand could be spent on other things.

Winston the GC i have dealings with is a V8, glad to hear you don't have that problem because its quite exposed and easy to damage on the V8. What GC do you have? ZJ (1993-98
    ) WJ (1999-04) WK (2005- to present)? All the mods come with time just take your time and do it rite.
    WJ/WG Solid Axels. Don't like the independent front on the WK. One of the files on WJJeep.com actually shows a WK smashing over rocks while they are discussing the how better the new layout is.

Then again looking at the new models from Jeep and Land R..oops! solid axels will be no more .
    Last edited by Winston; 2007/02/16 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    <hr>

Default Looking for trouble!

Winston your rite there but the thing is that only a very small percentage of 4x4s see off road driving world wide not counting sand roads a tata can do that, the world has become a small place and we can drive to Ciro in a mini. I remember going places as a kid and only a 4x4 with good ground clearance could go, now that road is tar? So us off roaders are left with a the chose buy an older 4x4 or a new one with all the goodies in it and up grade it to do what you need it to do.

As for the new WK its been left behind now don't get me wrong I'm a Jeep nut but apples for apples its behind the pack in its class and would only be bought by a Jeep fan but sadly they are losing sales to LR daily you just do get a better on road 4x4 by far (hey that worked for them ) now before i get shot out the sky by the LR fans id have to say the LR will out do the WK off road as a standard package because of that air suspension and its off road response system and yes this can go on and be a 200 page thread but untill you have see both off road at the same time its hard to admit So sadly this is the world we live in now, just the 32km round trip of hard off roading at the local 4x4 trail and believe me i get it from the family and friends because changed over to Jeep and im happy i did! Long live the JEEP!

Just my 2 cents

Jeepster, yup. I know...
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Hi Jeepster what rear diff does your XJ have? If I'm not mistaken you should have a corp 8.25 the same as my KJ 29 depending on the year its a 27 or 29 spline, if its a 97 on ward it should be a 29.

But its when you out in the middle of no where and all on your own that's when you want one, other wise R 12 grand could be spent on other things.
    My XJ has ABS, so no 8.25 rear axle, it has a Dana 35, but as far as I know the XJ came with 29 splines till 1999, from 2000 onwards it was a 27 spline. If I had R12 000 to spend, I wouldn't mind getting a diff-lock, but for know I don't do such extreme stuff, so I don't need the diff-lock yet. I would normally chicken out before the Jeep does.

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Hi Jeepster what rear diff does your XJ have? If I'm not mistaken you should have a corp 8.25 the same as my KJ 29 depending on the year its a 27 or 29 spline, if its a 97 on ward it should be a 29. The 8.25 is oval and flat on the bottom, no drain and a rubber filling plug.
    Apollo, the South African XJ's as far as I know (a least post 97) have the Dana 35 rear axle. It's a pity as I know the Chrysler 8.25 is quite a bit stronger with the 29spline axles vs. the 27spline axles on the D35. I guess for us it's still okay with only the limited slip diff and max 31" tyres. When we start looking at bigger tyres and lockers, then I'd definately want a stronger axle. Jeepster and myself have ABS on our Jeeps (Biggles, you too?) and I've yet to come across an axle upgrade that works with the ABS. From what I've read so far with all the guys installing Dana44 rear axles on their Jeeps in the US, all are bypassing the ABS. It seems if we want to upgrade to a stronger axle and keep the ABS, the only option seems to be to go for the Super 35 kit which comes paired with either a Detroit locker or ARB locker and 30 spline axles. The Super 35 kit that comes with the ARB locker (that would be my first choice) sells for $1189, which should also net around R12000 min to land it here, but apart from the ARB locker and upgraded shafts it also include all new bearings. After this one would basically have a brand new diff.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

I had front & rear lockers in my previous "Jeep". I personally wouldn't go that way again. It was nice to have the fallback while I was learning, but I get much more satisfaction from controlling the wheel slip with the accelerator, and I don't have to go and hunt for the extreme obstacles. Of course I'll probably sing a different song after the next difficult trail we do, hehehe!

As for the ABS, I have an ABS indicator on my dash, but I've never felt it kick in. Even with the rain we had recently, I brake-tested the Kumhos (which performed excellent on wet tar, btw) and I managed to lock a rear wheel by standing on the brakes. Still no ABS.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    As for the ABS, I have an ABS indicator on my dash, but I've never felt it kick in. Even with the rain we had recently, I brake-tested the Kumhos (which performed excellent on wet tar, btw) and I managed to lock a rear wheel by standing on the brakes. Still no ABS.
    I've tested mine, and the ABS definitely works. Did it on a loose gravel road, did about 20 - 30 kph and just stepped on the brakes. Having grown up, and driving on gravel roads since a young age, this still feels very unnatural for me. Had to try a couple of times to feel the ABS working, I tend to be too careful with brakes on a loose gravel surface...

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Charl, to check whether you have ABS - have a look in the engine bay. The ABS module is situated on the left against the firewall in line with the airbox. You'll notice all the brakelines going into the module from the master cylinder and from the module the brakepipes run to the wheels. If you don't see the module there, be glad. It means you can fit an Airflow snorkel and a Dana44 axle without worrying about what to do with the ABS.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Page 9 of 235 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 ... LastLast