Post a photo of your Jeep here please - Page 5

Page 5 of 234 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 ... LastLast

Andrew, I'll be in contact before I go - if I don't, please contact me..

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Went playing at the dump a bit after work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006079.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006083.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006086.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006088.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006096.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006092.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20102006093.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	756  
    Last edited by gorman; 2006/10/21 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    Andrew, I'll be in contact before I go - if I don't, please contact me..
    Andre, I'll be in contact soon. There are some issues with lifting the jeep to 3" that I need clarification on first, re: trackbar.

Trackbar = not a big issue. I will have to counter the same issue as mine will also be in the region of 3".

You can either have your current trackbar made adjustable at an engineering shop, or if you're content with the 3" lift and don't intend lifting it more in future, you can just redril the hole where it attaches to the axle. I was told that on a 4" lift the rule of thumb is 19mm to the left if you face the vehicle.

If you want to buy an adjustable trackbar you'll have to look at the UK or Australia as the LHD ones don't fit.

This is how a 225/70x16 tyre fits the wheel arch when the axle is on the bumpstop...my guess is that anything bigger will touch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll have a look tomorrow (or is it later today?) to see how the trackbar is fitted. If it's easy enough to redrill I'll go that route. I won't be going higher for a long time - famous last words!

Have you decided what you're getting from quadratec yet?

There isn't too much play around your tyres is there. So I guess the only option is higher if you want to go for bigger tyres.

With my Wrangler the back tyres tuck away nicely under the fenders, so no problems there.

As things are at the moment (I'm awaiting feedback from Rocky Road) I'll be getting the budget lift kit from Rocky Road and from Quadratec I'll get the wheel spacers and a complete polyurethane bush kit for all the suspension links. Then I'm also busy sourcing a yoke that will fit onto the rear output shaft of the transfercase so that I can eliminate the slip yoke on the shaft and fit a modified (to fit) front driveshaft in the back. I've found the one in the pic below at http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/drive_shaft_SYE.htm, so I might get that from them. I'll check with both Rocky Road and Quadratec whether they can supply such a part as well - it'll just be easier the fewer place I have to order from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep4fun View Post
    There isn't too much play around your tyres is there. So I guess the only option is higher if you want to go for bigger tyres.

With my Wrangler the back tyres tuck away nicely under the fenders, so no problems there.
    You are lucky in that sense. I've taken the 31" tyres/wheels off for now - they were touching quite badly when "playing". As soon as I have my goodies and had them fitted the bigger wheels will go back on and I'll then also adjust the bumpstop lenghts as required. Don't know how easy ice-hockey pucks are to find (will check at Sportsmans Warehouse), but stacking them on top of each other seem to be a popular manner to lower the front bumpstops and at the rear normal square tubing is used as a spacer between the body and the bumpstop.

Oh, I might also look out for quick disconnects when ordering stuff...these are optional for now though.

I've hunted high and low for ice hockey pucks, nothing. What I did find was underwater hockey pucks (R158-00 each). I reckon the best bet is to get a piece of hard polyvinyl from somewhere and have it turned to the right specs.

I've found out this morning from Sportsman's Warehouse that there is a little shop next to the ice ring here in Cape Town - they might have, hopefully cheaper than the underwater ones!

Gorman/Jeep4fun
    sounds as if you guys have been reading Go-jeep's tech stuff, i do not own my jeep anymore but I followed his advice and it worked like a charm. I lifted 2" front and rear, lifted the bumpstops to guard against rubbing, made quick-disconnects for my swaybar, ran 245/75R16 BFGs.
    You do not need hockey pucs, I used 2" of machined Vesconylon,stuck it on with adhesive.
    If you lift your bumpstops you will loose what you lifted due to the decreased articulation, the best way of regaining the articulation is to make the shock mounts shorter, definitely worth while.
    Hope you have fun, for Jeeps are not bought......they are built!
    Jaco
    You can follow.....but it's gonna hurt, even more!<br>FJ Desert Cruiser<br>Patrol 4.5<br>Stock standard....for now...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrollieLorrie View Post
    the best way of regaining the articulation is to make the shock mounts shorter, definitely worth while.
    Jaco
    How? And how would that help against rubbing?

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    How? And how would that help against rubbing?
    Ditto?

Sorry guys
    having read the thread again I think i might have been a bit vague so let me have another go here:
    lets say you lift your cherokee to acommodate 31" tyres, now you ar happy but find that under maximum articulation your new rubber is eating away at your fender flares or mudguards.
    In order to counter this problem you increase the bumpstop height by fitting spacers (hockey pucs or wahatever) in the front and square tubing at the back between the bumpstop and the body, this now means that you will effectively stop the upward travel of the wheel before it hits the fenders or mudguard. Well done problem solved, but think about what you have done....you have also shortened the stroke length of your shock by the amount that you have increased the bumpstop height with. in most cases not a problem but me, I do not like knowing that I had x" in wheel travel and now only have x-2" in wheel travel.
    Thus to regain the 2" (The amount I increased my bumpstop height by) in wheel travel you lift the shock mounts at one or both ends of the shocks to total the same as the amount that you lifted the bumpstops by.
    By doing this you gain all the good things from lifting your Jeep with no rubbing as well as maintaining the maximum wheel travel allowed by your shock length when fully extended.
    To me the difference was noticeable when doing cross axle chicken pots, all of a sudden you can keep all four wheels on the ground and hence maintain traction due to the extra 2" of downward travel allowed.
    In short the extension of shock mounts contribute nothing towards guarding aginst rubbing but it rectifies a bad side effect of increasing bumpstop height that does solve the rubbing concern.
    check this out for explanation of how to do it.
    front; http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoShockSpacers.htm
    rear: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm
    hope this clarifies, sorry again, did not try to meddle
    You can follow.....but it's gonna hurt, even more!<br>FJ Desert Cruiser<br>Patrol 4.5<br>Stock standard....for now...

Eish
    I just read my original post again and saw why I confused, the shock mounts should be INCREASED IN LENGTH not shortened as I said initially. The confusion came in where in the back you actually lift the shock mounts by cutting them shorter.

Cool! THanks for the tip... will consider it.
    BTW, this really should be moved to it's own thread.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Default Before and after pics

Here's some before and after pics:

Before - Firestone Wilderness 245/75/15
    After - BFG All Terrain T/A 30/9.5/15

In hindsight I could have probably fitted 31" as the 30" almost seem smaller than the 245 Wilderness. I didn't want any rubbing issues, but maybe I'll consider the 31" when the 30" go to rubber heaven.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_00042a.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	1091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_00048a.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	1092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_00041a.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	1093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_00053a.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	1094  

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Big Hilux Guest

Does not matter, nice cool pic;s of your vehicle, how about some of the engine.

Will see about taking and posting some engine pics tomorrow. Why do you want to see some engine pics??

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Page 5 of 234 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 ... LastLast