Post a photo of your Jeep here please - Page 4

Page 4 of 235 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast

Default Re: Post a photo of your Jeep here please

Articuwhat?

Bass Lake near Henley.

Last edited by Bad Santa; 2006/10/24 at 10:14 PM.

Impressive! Is the left front wheel touching the wheelarch in that pic? I guess this is with the anti rollbar disconnected...?

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Big Hilux Guest

Jeep4fun do you ever have any problems with the exhaust system of the bottom of the fuel tank touching the rocks or ground. What tires do you have fitted to your Rig in that photo?

Gorman, Yes the swaybars were disconnected (For the first time ever). The tyre did touch the wheel arch but only if it was turned slightly. Not too sure what to do to prevent it other than a body lift. On one of the obstacles there was quite a deep hole that could not be avoided and the wheel arch actually cut into the tread of the tyre, no serious damage.

Big Hilux, The exhaust has never touched the ground, even when stock. Maybe I just didn't do the nasty obstacles. I scrapped the fuel tank skid plate and the towbar a few times on departure when it was stock. Now I try angle the departure slightly to increase the angle.

Cooper Discovery STT 31x10.5x15. Magic tyres!

Any suggestions on preventing the tyre rubbing the fender?

Jeep4fun - looking great, nice flex on the suspension. Will try to test my Jeep's flex with the swaybars disconnected...

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Jeepster, it takes a bit of getting used to, you feel like you're in a boat with all the rocking, but you get past that fairly quickly. Then the fun starts.
    PS: Photos please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep4fun
    Jeepster, photos please.
    That will happen at the earliest sometime next week, I'm in Pta at the moment, not with the Jeep, with the SWAMBO's Clio - and she won't let me test the suspension travel on it...

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

jeep4fun, what have you done? all stock?

Rim size, 8j?
    Training: 4x4, bushmechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.

[email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel

- 2" OME suspension
    - 15x8 A-line Alloys
    - 31x10.5 STT's
    - Highrock front bumper
    - Extra scratches down side
    - Mud coating underneath

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep4fun
    Gorman, Yes the swaybars were disconnected (For the first time ever). The tyre did touch the wheel arch but only if it was turned slightly. Not too sure what to do to prevent it other than a body lift. On one of the obstacles there was quite a deep hole that could not be avoided and the wheel arch actually cut into the tread of the tyre, no serious damage.

Any suggestions on preventing the tyre rubbing the fender?

Make the bumpstops longer, but that will decrease the flex a bit, but it should be the simplest way to prevent the rubbing.

Make the bumpstops longer, but that will decrease the flex a bit, but it should be the simplest way to prevent the rubbing.
    Thanks Zantus. I'll give it a bash.

Alternatively, lift it even higher. Here's what you need....http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepbudget.html

A 2" lift is good, but upsizing the tyres to 31" negates most of the clearance you've gained.

I'm in the situation where I did the OME and 31" tyres at the same time (on the same day) and I only gained 15mm in front and 35mm in the back (the OME calatogue mentioned 45mm in front and 50mm in the back). With this minimal lift my 31" STTs (same as yours!) touches quite badly in the back when flexing and in the front (on the lower control arm) when turning. For now I've taken off the 31" wheels and refitted the standard 16" rims with the 225/70 marie biscuits as we'll be going to Atlantis the weekend and don't want to damage anything.

I'm planning to resolve the issue by fitting an addtional budget lift kit that'll give me the 2"es the OME didn't.

On the pic below you can see how the rear wheel touches the wheel arch when flexing and this isn't full flex, the wheel was still on its way up...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Gorman, are you sure there is nothing wrong with the OME kit? I got 45mm front and back with mine. Maybe it's because the wrangler is lighter than the cherokee up front? The back wheels are fine, no rubbing. Did you not mention in a previous post that you do not have sway bars in the back?

Yes, there were no swaybars on the later XJ Cherokee models - from 98 onwards, I think, only a swaybar in the front.

I was wondering also about whether there isn't something wrong, but I must say the ride and handling are magnificent. I did go for the light load rear spring, which to some extend could explain why I didn't get much lift at the rear (although they state that even with the light load spring the lift should be 50mm). In the front there is only one OME spring available - the N930, I think.

I don't do much mileage, so haven't even done 500km since the installation. When I take it for the 500km check I will discuss with Cris and he can then maybe just check with OME. The Rocky Road guys that I've mailed you the link of recon that they get 2" in front and 2.5" at the rear on an XJ Cherokee when fitting OME, so it does make me wonder. It could be that our original suspension is maybe a bit uptated to theirs in the US, but I don't really think so.

I had a look at the rocky-road lifts. The idea looks fantastic but that will bump the lift up to 4'. If i do that the 31's might look a bit odd. I am trying to find a similar system that only gives a 1' lift.
    I am also not too keen on doing a body lift, which would sort the problem out but i'm a bit apprehensive.

I'm not really sure how many issues you might have with radiator shroud repositioning and bumper repositioning and other things related to a body lift, but one thing that will be nice would be that fact that your driveshaft angles would remain as is and thus if you have no vibration issues currently, it should remain like that. The budget lift will lift the suspension and thus increase the driveshaft angles. I think the 4" lift will look nice with 31" tyres, but you will then have to start looking at a slip yoke eliminator kit with a new rear driveshaft with a cv or double cardegan joint...and this will be expensive.

With your coilspring setup front and rear, I'm sure you can easily have four 1" poly spacers made locally...otherwise, here's a nice kit and it seems that with the 1" motor mounts there no other major mods to do.

Usually a bodylift 2inches or less doesn't cause too many problems with most vehicles. The gear lever is normally the only real hassle to look out for. Willysjeep has done it to his jeep.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

I sent an email to rocky-road asking for advice. Here's there reply:

You can add in the 1" coil spacers no problem. No need to get a budget lift either as you won't need the shock extensions. Just pick up the 1" coil spacers and that should do the trick. You can find them at
    http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepsus.html
    That would give me a total lift of 3". It also sounds like I do not have to get new shocks. What is your take on the reply concerning the shocks? This is the way I think I'll go. Are the spacer's available locally? (If I import any more from the States I have to get an importers licence.)

PS: Sorry that the original post has been "detoured" slightly.

That sounds like the perfect option - and cheap too at only $38. Its basically exactly what I'm planning on doing, except my spacers will be 2" spacers. Seeing that your lift will only be an additional 1" and the OME shocks are longer than the OE ones, you'll be fine. Even on mine with the additional 2" lift - the guys at Rocky Road said I'll be fine, they haven't tested with OME shocks and a 3" budget lift though and although they said it could work, I'm rather going to stick to the 2" lift.

You don't need an importers license to bring in the spacers from the states. Just buy it on their site and they'll send it to you. When it arrives in SA it goes through customs and you might have to pay a little import duty or not, and you'll have to pay VAT on the total price (incl. shipping). I'll be going to the States in Nov and plan to order my kit from Rocky Road and have it delivered in Washington where I'll be staying (Rocky Road is in the Rocky Mountain area in CA, I think) I could bring your's back at the same time and we can share shipping the shipping cost accross the US, which will be much less that the shipping to SA.

Gorman,

I would be interested if you would not mind. I would also like to try and get extended bump stops while I'm at it.

The reason I mentioned the importers licence is because you can only import three times a year privately, after that the licence. I had to fill in a declaration for customs the last time I imported stuff, so the only way around it is to use family and friends or wait till next year - NOT.

The vat is payable on anything over R400-00, so they tell me.
    PS: UPS Sucks

Page 4 of 235 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast