Seagull outboard engine

Default Seagull outboard engine

I am in the process of repairing a 1946 British seagull outboard boat engine and have obtained all the parts required except for the gearbox oil.

It uses SAE 140 (monograde) and I require one liter. I have asked around but have only been able to obtain it in 240 liter drums (slight overkill!).

Does any member know where I might be able to obtain a limited quantity of the oil?

Regards

Talking Seagull

From memory, that drum should last about 10 days on the water! Perhaps buy 2 drums and get a quantity discount?
    Regards,
    Duncan

Hi Duncan,

It is gearbox oil so should last a while, but you are right re two stroke oil, it uses a ration of 10 to 1.

It is a beautiful engine though, cleaned the carb and plug and although it has been standing for about 20 years (belonged to my dad) started after a couple of pulls.

Default Seagull Gearbox Oil

Hi

I would suggest you try to get in touch with a big commericial plant (any Engineering Managers/Plant Engineers out there.....?)

I worked in the Cement Industry for many years & if you see the size of those gearboxes (MegaWatts).... these guys would hardly miss 5 litres..

Seagulls were such unstressed devices .... I assume a restoration of one would mean repainting it ..

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Biscut View Post
    Hi Duncan,

It is gearbox oil so should last a while, but you are right re two stroke oil, it uses a ration of 10 to 1.

It is a beautiful engine though, cleaned the carb and plug and although it has been standing for about 20 years (belonged to my dad) started after a couple of pulls.
    In the 70s when I could still dive a mate and I salvaged one from vaal dam in about 5m. It had been down there for about 3 weeks and while we showered the owner emptied the petrol tank, took out the plug and gave it a few tugs to get the water out of the cyl. Shook the motor to get moisture out of the magneto, replaced petrol and plug and voerrr it started as we came out of the ablutions. He told us what he had done as we were quite amazed. Got paid R60 for that job. Plenty bucks those days
    1949 Series 1 80" 2.0l rover engine.Also Sold
    1969 Series 2a 109" safari. 3.5l rover engine, 4sp Range Rover ZF g/box. 3.5 diffs Sold. Will miss her lots
    1999 Disco ii 4.0l v8 Auto box

Hi Ian,

You are correct, restoration and cleaning is a bit of a grey area to me . In all reality all that I did was to grind off some welding that a previous (idiotic) person did around the propeller. Aluminum welded the propeller and got a new spring from the UK. A site aptly called SOS (Saving Old Seagulls).

Thx for the idea on where to get some oil for the gearbox.

Grew up on that bloody motor. Hated it. Left an oil trail on the water where you went.

But then I have to add. In the 15yrs I had that motor, it never missed a beat. It had a shear pin in the prop and I carried a bag full of them, everywhere. Every time you hit a log or a stone, that thing sheared.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252