wheelchair-camping in Moz?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question wheelchair-camping in Moz?

Hi guys, I'm very new at this, and no computer boff in anyone's imagination, so please put me straight when I go wrong!

I'm a wheelchair-using paraplegic for the past 11 yrs, but still camping and touring widely. Just returned from a 7300km trip to the north of Namibia! We (my wife, myself and my 8yr old son) tend to travel alone (with only a satellite phone for emergencies) as you're less bound by itineraries etc. I have a 4lit D/C Ranger with more than 1000km range in fuel, towing a home-made off-road trailer.

I plan to do the bottom end of Mozambique about March/April 2010, possibly as high as Inhambane or Vilanculos, but definitely going to the area south of Maputo to the Maputo Elephant park area, coming back into SA via Kosi Bay. I need some advice please:
    • Camping on sand seriously hampers my mobility. Can anyone point me to some campsites that are hardpacked or lawn, preferably near the beach?
    • How serious is the crime-situation in the areas mentioned above? Being wheelchair-bound can be seen as a soft target by opportunistic skabengas !!!
    • I don't use a GPS (as yet...) and have always found maps to be sufficient with a bit of research. Should I look at getting a GPS?
    • Any advice on the road & travelling back via Kosi Bay?
    André
    1998 Jeep Cherokee 4lit Auto, Bull bar bumper, 2" lift, ARB diff Lock - it's a real Billygoat!!!
    2004 Ford Ranger D/C, SAC chip, used for touring and camping.8)

Welcome to 4x4community Oppers .

Ill see how much i can offer , been up and down that coastline numerous times .
    With the nature of the campsites in Mz being near the beach , theyre generally very sandy . Grass doesnt have much time to establish . I'll mention the ones that come to mind .

Ponto Malongane in the south has a fairly level gradient , with some lawn establishing itself , its one of the " greener " campsites , access to the beach would be fair , no real inclines to negotiate .

The campsites in the Ele Reserve are very sandy i hear , ie Ponto Milibangalala .

Casa Lisa outside Maputo overnight camping is grassed area .

In the Inhambane area , the campsites around Tofo are all set behind the coastal dune , so up and over the stairs is often difficult for those on foot . Campsites at Bamboozi, Mango and Tofo are very sandy .

The other grassed campsite i can think of would be the Seta campsite in Inhassoro , and the Vilancoulos main campsite , both very nice and close to the beach .

Regarding the crime , most crime would be opportunistic , snatching something or stealing from the back of the bakkie . If you keep your stuff out of sight you shouldnt be targeted .

A gps is a necessity between Kosi and Maputo , there are numerous sandy tracks running around this area , which could become confusing as one moves around . Gps in the Ele reserve is prob essential , i hear there are no sign posts and often numerous tracks .

The road back from Maputo to Kosi is bumpy , potholed , sometimes wet and then closer to Ponto its very sandy , but all in all a beautiful drive , would not be a problem to negotiate in one vehicle .

Let me know your thoughts on the above .

Utilise the search function on the forum , very handy .

PGJ, excellent info, thanks! At least now I have something to work with.

As I said, VERY GREEN wrt using the forum, will try find my way through the search function as I get time.

If you don't mind I'd like to tap your brain wrt Moz as I go along?

Ops

Pleasure , ill help out as much as i can . If you spend some time reading topics on the forum and using the search you'll soon be a pro , and then propably an addict . away for 3 days , will reply monday . cheers .

Oppers, respect, great to see you doing outdoor / camping / touring, despite....

I cannot help with info on anything Moz, maybe some day we will also do a trip there, if years allow, but in the meantime our ZA "trip backlog" is getting all of our attention.

Mooi loop en geniet.
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Gaitshi Gubib, dankie. Wat kan ek sê, as kamp en toer in jou bloed is, is dit in jou bloed. Jy weet mos, hulle kan jou uit die bos haal, maar hulle kan nie die bos uit jou haal nie.

Ek het 'n ou Jeep waarmee ek speel en bergklim, maar ons toer met 'n D/Cab bakkie. Ek het SA al van hoek tot kant deurtoer ('n groot deel van dit per motorfiets) en toe in 1998 slinger 'n dronk bosslaper voor my in naby Hermanus. Sedertdfien is ek van my tepels af ondertoe verlam.

Ek en my oorlede skoonpa het 'n pad-af sleepwa gebou so klompie jaar terug en sedertdien woel ons alweer wyd - ongelukkig hoofsaaklik net waar ek met sleepwa kan gaan. My gunsteling plek is die Kalahari, maar ons was al die Hele Namibië deur (uitgesluit die Kaudom en Caprivi - maar dit kom), onder in Botswana, Gamkaskloof (die Hel), Baviaanskloof, en dan sommer net 'n klomp agterpaaie in SA.

Nou roep Mosambiek en die Wildekus erg.....

Stuur gerus enige raad as jy het oor toestande of iets dergeliks daardie kant toe.

Ops

Hi Oppers
    Glad to see more people going to Moz.Your biggest enemy is not crime or spietcops but is going to be sand and bathroom access. From CT we go to Bloem /Nelspruit and first night in Moz at Xai Xai. Hard sand in the campsite under lots of shade but poor ablutions. It`s about 50m to the beach through thick sand.Next we go to Seta at Inhassorro again with shade and hard ground with good ablutions but another 70m to the beach.Our next stop is Josef E tina in Vilanculos.Again a bit of grass and hard sand and about 30m to the beach down 6 or 7 sandy stairs , again poor ablutions. On our way back we stop at Morrungulu , best campsite in Moz with lots of shade and grass and good ablutions but again about 50m to the beach.Then our last stop is Palm Grove at Barra near Tofo(we stay in a chalet R 120 PP/PN) and again about 50m to the beach in thick sand. You will need a GPS mainly for Maputo .This year was our second year there and we go for the full 30 days . We will be going next year again for a month and want to be there the day after the school holidays end as it is less busy and you don`t` need to book or pay deposits so if you don`t like the place you just move on.If you need any more info or pictures e mail me at [email protected]

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks, you're a great help! This will give me things / places to look at. The fact that there are plenty of hard packed campsites is great news.!!! Poor ablutions / bathroom access is no problem - I have my own "bostoilet" that I use and I'm totally independent of ablution facilities.

I think I've made up my mind wrt getting a GPS - I'm long overdue for one. It seems that I may very well need it coming back into SA via Kosi Bay though....

Unfortunately I have an 8yr old - thus school holidays are my future for a while still...

I'll mail you for photo's - greatly appreciated!
    André (Oppers)
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

I knew a guy that used to go the beach - was in a wheelchair as well - used a Quad that he adapted for him - this was his wheelchair when at the beach, maybe a possibility?
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

Skim, ek het wel vir omtrent 6 jaar 'n quad gehad wat ek baie op die strand en ander plekke gebruik het, maar omdat ek 'n off-road sleepwa gebruik om mee te kamp, kan ek nie meer die quad saamsleep nie. Dus het van dit ontslae geraak - en al baie berou!!

Die nadeel van 'n quad is ook dat ek nie my rolstoel ook kan saamry nie, dus beperk dit wat ek kan doen. Ek is/was lus om een van die klein pypkar-tipe quad-buggies te kry, waar ek my rolstoel op die sitplek langsaan kan laai, maar 'n mens kan wragtig net soveel rygoed hê - en dit lyk al soos 'n second hand car lot by my!

Ek het my een rolstoel bietjie gemodify en bergfiets-wiele opgesit, en dit maak dit ietwat makliker op dik sand, maar ek's bevrees dit is net te veel moeite vir 'n hele vakansie.....

André Opperman

Razorback Guest

Andre
    If you have the room have a look a a 4x4 wheelchair. Its battery operated and will tackle most sand and rough terrain.

Thumbs down 4x4 wheelchair

Hi Razorback, thanks for the suggestion, but here's why not:
    • They're more expensive than a quadbike, with the same and even more limitations.
    • They're quite heavy and Swambo's got to load & unload it from the bakkie.
    • I refuse to use a powered wheelchair day-today as it will only make me weak & lazy - and I'm not going to lug two wheelchairs along.
    I'd rather consider a smaller quadbike again....

André Opperman

How the plans coming on Oppers ? , i'm also quite interested to know if you've found any more "green" level campsites .

Thumbs down Thinking twice....

Hi PGJ

Got a couple of good leads from some fellow members, notably Andrew (included some seriously enticing pictures.... nyam!), but we've also been following some threads about he crime and extorsion situation in Moz, and sadly, we're reconsidering our plans. It's now a toss-up between Moz or Chobe/Moremi.....

We haven't stopped investigating, but for now we're undecided.

Any further advice will be seriously welcome!

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    we've also been following some threads about he crime and extorsion
    Numerous trips up the Mozambique coastline over the last 8 years , and we've paid 1 bribe , the first and last . First trip , we were young and lost in the middle of Maputo .
    You've travelled through various parts of Southern Africa and have the experience , i don't believe this should put you off . IMO its slightly sensationalised . We must remember , as im sure you know .... TIA .
    Last edited by PGJ; 2009/11/09 at 02:07 PM.

Hi Oppers
    I am sad to hear you might be reconsidering your Moz trip.The first time we went we were only going to go for about a week to Bilene and if it got unpleasant we would go to Kruger for the rest of our holiday.All the rumours we had heard were false and we had no problems even though we were stopped 17 times by Moz`s finest. We ended up staying for three weeks and went all the way up to Vilanculos.When we were just outside Komatipoort on our way back home we were stopped by our finest where they checked our windscreen wipers ( now this is a bit rough) This year we were only stopped 5 times and those were at the usual provincial crossings and I can honestly say they are becoming more and more tourist friendly.The main difference there is there is a high level of visible police where here you only hear about them.The traffic laws are enforced there even though very lax against the locals.I feel safer there than here as the one day my oil filter cracked and was leaking oil and the first car that passed us stopped and helped , now I doubt that would happen too often here.I think one thing to remember is for every 10 negative stories you hear here that are printed there are probably 100 000 good stories that you don`t get to hear about!

Cheers
    Andrew

Oppers - the crime in my opinion is no problem - a while ago on the forum there was a big discussion about a hold up that occurred near Pomene - I met the guy about 2 weeks ago - he has been back twice already and is going again. His words - I feel safer there thanb on my farm at his time -

Anyway all the best I am still going to moz - again & again .......
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

Please do not reconsider plans...moz is amazing.
    The only unsafe place is your trip getting to the moz border.

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

Default Moz is on!

PGJ, Geraas, Skim & Andrew

Thanks you guys... I'm happy to say you've all put our concerns at rest - Botswana's going to have to wait!

But, alas, the gods are conspiring against this.... now our planned dates are clashing with some other responsibilities. But not to fear, there's always plans to be made....

I'll pick your respective brains again when we know how our things are positioned, THANKS AGAIN!

André Opperman

Pleasure , let me know if you've got any camp sites in mind , im going up shortly and can go and check what the access is like if im going past , im always up for seeing something new . Cheers .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast