ABS light stays on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ABS light stays on

Most of you know about my recent mud escapade. Since then the ABS light has not gone out. There had been a stone jammed between the disk and the hub for a while which I eventually got out. The car has since been cleaned and I've blown the rear drums out with compressed air.

Any tips please? Insane, are you around?
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Default Re: ABS light stays on

Spike... dumb question I know but have you actually checked the fuse?

Sorry, I used to be in IT support
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Default Re: ABS light stays on

Duh. Who checks fuses?

I suppose I better check hey.

Had a similar thing yesterday. ABS light was on and ABS didn't work (WHAT A PLEASURE)
    I switched off the car and when I started her up again light was off.

I mentioned WHAT A PLEASURE. I have now experienced the bekaking feeling for myself which you've mentioned before with the vehicle going off on its own mission, whilst knyping vas and at the same time pushing the daylights out of my brakes...... All this was in the Quarry in Richards Bay where I chose the wrong line and didn't have enough momentum to get up and around the corner up a sand face.
    It all happened so damm fast, before I knew it my Colt was heading back down and the breaks didnt want to know nothing.... Handbreak eventually dug the back wheels in and she stopped.

HOW EASY IS IT TO SWITCH OFF THE ABS

A bit later after a puddle and some mud, my ABS light came on and I soon found out that the ABS didnt work. So, back to the incline section and replicated the above situation. Brakes worked first time and no problems. Even attempting serious declines, the engine was good enough (with some slight help initially) with the brakes, my wheels didnt lock up...
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Could be an error, and just need to be reset by the dealers.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Big Red, another one to experience the infamous Colt flying backwards with no brakes syndrome. I can't even laugh at it cos it's so bloody dangerous. I've heard this from a lot of past and present Colt drivers now, as well as experiencing it myself a couple of times.

Maybe its just me but I've never had an issue with the ABS system on my colt being dangerous. The ABS is not supposed to funtion at all at low speeds and not when the DL is on etc etc.

Anyway, as far as the light is concerned my ABS light comes on when I've gone through water, but goes away after I have turned the ignition off and then restarted.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    The ABS is not supposed to funtion at all at low speeds and not when the DL is on etc etc.

Anyway, as far as the light is concerned my ABS light comes on when I've gone through water, but goes away after I have turned the ignition off and then restarted.
    Not supposed to It does.. In the situation I was in it was softish sand, so any damage could / would have been minimal. In the same situation on ragged rocks, it would / could have been another storey...

Regarding the light, I had the same. Stop and restart sorted it out.

According to the workshop manual the ABS does not function at 8km/h or slower....
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

i was using a d/c 2.8 tdi rodeo in sand in low range with diff lock.

then i gave it back to the owner who complained of a noise coming from the rear wheels once he had released his handbrake.

took it to dealer.

they said "sand in diff lock"

that doesn't make much sense to me.

o the abs light was alos on for a bit sometimes.

also, the brakes are really #####.

might as well chuck a anchor out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    i was using a d/c 2.8 tdi rodeo in sand in low range with diff lock.

then i gave it back to the owner who complained of a noise coming from the rear wheels once he had released his handbrake.

took it to dealer.

they said "sand in diff lock"

that doesn't make much sense to me.

o the abs light was alos on for a bit sometimes.

also, the brakes are really #####.

might as well chuck a anchor out the window.
    That sounds like some typical stealership talk. If find it hard to imagine how sand would get into the axle. Unless it came in with some water.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    According to the workshop manual the ABS does not function at 8km/h or slower....
    Anyway be that as it may, here is an article I found on ABS and offroad...

http://www.worldoffroad.com/begin/begabs.asp
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Default Abs

ABS has its benefits and short comings like many other elements of the vehicle. I will try and answer some of the points raised.

1. The ABS system is automatically reset by switching the vehicle off, hence the light not coming on at restart. The system has a continual safety check on sensor readability and if this fails the ABS will be kicked out.

2. The Colt works on a 3 sensor system, 1 on each front whel and a third across the rear axle. This was because of the drum system in the rear. The issue with a stone in the back brakes should ths not influence this at all.

3. Water causing the light to come on is a common problem for 4x4 applications. The main reason for this is that the sensors are not very well protected in the front and are seseptable to water pentrating the rubber seal particularly when aftermarket suspensions are fitted and the sensor cable is pulled taught during bad cross axle situations. Sorry but no solution here.

4. The ABS works off a fuse in the engine bay and can be easily disconected. As a rule during the course of the Spirit Of Africa Trophy we disable the ABS and airbags during the gravel and dune driving sections and re-enable when we return to tar. One technician does 16 vehicles in under an hour while we break for lunch. I will see if I can get a proceedure.

5. By default the ABS should kickout when the difflock is engaged but as mentioned earlier there is only one sensor on the rear axle, if ti does not get the signal from the diiflock sender unit it will not disengage. This is also quite a common problem but the dealer can fix it.

I disconect my ABS as standard and only reconnect in rain conditions.
    Partner Adventure 4X4 Academy
    http://www.4x4training.co.za

Thanks for the explanation.
    I read somewhere, possibly here, that the dealers will, on request, fit an overide switch. If I remember correctly it was about R600 bucks or so. I was going to do it and forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph_Clark View Post

4. The ABS works off a fuse in the engine bay and can be easily disconected. As a rule during the course of the Spirit Of Africa Trophy we disable the ABS and airbags during the gravel and dune driving sections and re-enable when we return to tar. One technician does 16 vehicles in under an hour while we break for lunch. I will see if I can get a proceedure.
    Ralph

Thanks for the info. Would you mind getting the procedure for us? I can't find the location of the fuse in the manual or in the engine bay.

I'd probably have it enable at all times but disable it when in the tricky stuff.

WRT ABS and the failed hill climb, surely if you let the vehicle stall first, the ABS wouldn't be able to kick in anyway?

Spike, I'm due for a service in about 1000km, so will ask them when I book it in.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Simon,

I absolutly agree with stalling the vehicle. That is the correct proceedure.
    I suppose bad habits are not easy to break....

I must say that when doing a trail, I am very concious of the "right proceedure" we should all be.....

If I'm in a dangerous situation on a radically steep incline with little or no grip and my brakes not working properly I'm definitely not going to try stall my motor, I don't give a sh*t what the books tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    If I'm in a dangerous situation on a radically steep incline with little or no grip and my brakes not working properly I'm definitely not going to try stall my motor, I don't give a sh*t what the books tell me.
    Spike

I have been in the situation going up (and down) really steep stuff with a loose surface and have stalled with no problems. Anyway it's not what I read in a book, it's what has been shown to me by others and what I have personally experienced (that being said I am still VERY inexperienced)
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Default Abs

I recently took some club members to Serendipity for a father son adventure. There were a steep incline with lots of loose gravel. We towed our off road trailers as well. On our return you had to engage low range and "storm" the incline. I was first and man did I get a fright the first time. As I went in 1ste gear and at the top I loose some traction I had to stop the whole rig. This is where I hate ABS. As I slammed on the brakes the ABS kicked in and the whole rig started to roll backward because ABS cannot get grip in the loose gravel . I had to stand on the brakes to avoid a trailer jack knife.

I wish they can modify the ABS so that in low rage it does not engage ever!!
    Be aware of this it can save your trailer.
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Impi View Post
    As I slammed on the brakes the ABS kicked in and the whole rig started to roll backward because ABS cannot get grip in the loose gravel . I had to stand on the brakes to avoid a trailer jack knife.

I wish they can modify the ABS so that in low rage it does not engage ever!!
    Be aware of this it can save your trailer.
    But if you were in low range, 1st gear, should you not then rather stall the motor so that you can get down in reverse?

Btw with the LR Disco2 there is a modification that can be done to allow ABS and traction control to be disabled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast