How to Entertain Capetownians

Default How to Entertain Capetownians

Hi,

My Bro in Law and Wife are visiting me this wkend from Cape Town. Im looking for somewhere to go and give them a good time out.
    Equiped with:
    2.5 days to kill (fri + wkend)
    Freelander 2
    Good enough budget

We are two couples around 29yr of age average. Live in Midrand.

Do you have a proposal as to where I can take them? Doesn't have to be around Joburg, we can do with around a 3hr drive, max.

Please suggest....

Drakensburg
    David Wolmarans

Ford Ranger 2.5 4 x 4 DC turbo diesel, bog standard (Have now fitted a Burnco front bumper, looking for a snorkel)

How to Entertain Capetownians - easy, give them a page with "turn over" written on each side!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Kruger Park?
    Sun City?
    Pilansberg?
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Easy , take them to Loftus on Saturday !!! Maybe they can look out for more players to buy ?

When we visit in-laws in Joburg, our favourite destination is hiking in the Magaliesberg. There are a couple of camp sites there as well. Pilanesberg also springs to mind. For a day outing, I enjoyed the Cradle of Humankind museum.

There's a great book called the Chamberlain Guide to Birding Gauteng by Etienne Marais and Faansie Peacock. It will point you in the direction of all sorts of great places in and around Gauteng, plus places further afield. This is NOT just a book for birders - my in-laws found all sorts of places they'd never heard of. They give good detail on facilities, security, camping, picnic spots etc etc. It's a must-have book for all who live in and around Joeys, Pretoria, Krugersdorp etc etc.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Ok,

Thanks for the ideas, it sounds like the Drakensberg will be the place. I have read a post somewhere in this forum of someone that did the Sani pass in 1 weekend from Joburg. We intend doing something similar, Bro in Law went crazy when I mentioned a Pub at the top of Africa in Lesotho Mt.Range.
    So here is our tentitive itenerary:

Fri (30/10/9) leave Joburg at 03:00 am.
    Arrive at the Royal Natal National Park arround 07:00ish
    -Do something there incl. eating Breakefast [Any suggestions?]
    -Go up Mike's Pass [I think it is in Cathedral Peak].
    **Please suggest other things we can do for the rest of the day while progressing toward Sani Pass?
    Fri evening: We want to sleep somewhere close enough for us to easily go up through Sani pass on Sat morning. Are there nice places in Himeville? Any other places close by?

Sat (31/10/09):
    Go up through Sani pass.
    -I have read reports of people doing this road in a Corsa lite. I am sure the FL2 will handle it hey? Already driven FL2 through Hennops 4x4 trail's Vastrap and Twister hills + some obstacles in Chloorkop.
    -How long (hrs) is the drive from SA side to the Pub up the Mt.?

Sat. evening:
    Sleep somewhere nice in Lesotho. [At the most 1hr away from the border close to Clarens]

Sun (1/11/09)
    Drive through Lesotho/SA border and carry on through Clarens to Midrand to arrive by 12:00 noon.

**Please give suggestions, I am sure someone did this route before. What places do you recommend as must see/sleep in?

Take then to the Currie cup final!!!

Braaivleis [rump steak] en pap en sous!! The good weather is already a treat!
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    How to Entertain Capetownians - easy, give them a page with "turn over" written on each side!
    Uys ek dink nou nie hy gaan n Frotuna sommer vir hul koop vir die naweek nie!
    Wie wil so geld mors?
    Adriaan

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
    Fri (30/10/9) leave Joburg at 03:00 am.
    Arrive at the Royal Natal National Park arround 07:00ish
    -Do something there incl. eating Breakefast [Any suggestions?]
    -Go up Mike's Pass [I think it is in Cathedral Peak].
    **Please suggest other things we can do for the rest of the day while progressing toward Sani Pass?
    Fri evening: We want to sleep somewhere close enough for us to easily go up through Sani pass on Sat morning. Are there nice places in Himeville? Any other places close by?

Sat (31/10/09):
    Go up through Sani pass.
    -I have read reports of people doing this road in a Corsa lite. I am sure the FL2 will handle it hey? Already driven FL2 through Hennops 4x4 trail's Vastrap and Twister hills + some obstacles in Chloorkop.
    -How long (hrs) is the drive from SA side to the Pub up the Mt.?

Sat. evening:
    Sleep somewhere nice in Lesotho. [At the most 1hr away from the border close to Clarens]

Sun (1/11/09)
    Drive through Lesotho/SA border and carry on through Clarens to Midrand to arrive by 12:00 noon.
    Mike's pass is not that impressive...and it's a "one way" so you simply drive back when being on the top.

We needed 3 hours from the RSA side to the pub on the top, incl. a few stops to take fotos. There are Mini Taxis coming down from Lesotho, so be carefull - but the road is no problem for Freelanders.

We went up to the Sani and back in 1 day - but this is a heavy trip as the road (A1) in Lesotho is a pain in the a**...we crossed the border at 19:30h close to Clarens and needed from there another 3 hours back home.