homemade recovery point - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I thought land cruises don't have recovery points though they don't get stuck so how would u join 6 .....I'll pop into la sport and see what I'll get charged my thought was though they can't weld onto the chassis and there are only 2 holes for bolts to go into so how would they attach it ? The same as my idea or what ? Thanks for the imput guys the idea was to avoid making major mistakes
    Last edited by batman diver; 2011/12/28 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Bad reading
    Kb300 Dtec 4x4 ...let the mods begin
    2003 Kb300Tdi d/c lx 4x4 - sold
    GP0274 batmandiver

Well we can't hang Jeep's or Landie's now can we, so Landcruisers it will have to be. But think about it, the weakest point must always be the tow rope or snatch rope and these commonly break at around 12 ton so the recovery hook needs a good safety margin on top of this, 6x Landcruisers might even be cutting it a bit fine, rather make it seven and feel safe standing underneath them.
    Snatching is an incredibly dangerous recovery method and people should realise that there are tremendous forces generated throughout the recovery gear and points. Snatching should always be used as a last resort and not simply routenly done. Home made recovery points are not something that should be taken lightly, you need to take all facts into account hence Tinus saying that it should be done by an expert

Hi Guys

I am looking for ideas and information and hopefully some pictures of recovery points for a Isuzu DMAX

I wouldlike tohave some proper points fitted ,I do not intend on changing the stock bumpers so will be looking at ideas that could fit to a stock vehicle

Any input will be valuable

Thanks

Default Recovery points

Hi Fatboyslim

I have uploaded a section from our learner manual for your info, I hope this will answer your question!

http://www.africanoffroad.co.za/wdocs.php

Safe recoveries
    Tinus
    Last edited by tinus4x4; 2012/03/04 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Incorrect url
    "HOW YOU DO ANYTHING, IS HOW YOU DO EVERYTHING"

This is such a valuable thread, truly.

I started making recovery points on my disco loong before all these smart people started posting and had to make, test and learn from practical experience.

1. No matter what the calculations tell you, always sit back and find the weakest point.
    2. When 95% of people want to "snatch" stop them and offer them your spade.

I don't care if you think it is unrelated, but, in general, a little old elbow grease would ensure lower "safety factors"....

Safe Recoveries.
    Driven by passion
    Jakes 071 9855 258

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMad View Post
    This is such a valuable thread, truly.

I started making recovery points on my disco loong before all these smart people started posting and had to make, test and learn from practical experience.

1. No matter what the calculations tell you, always sit back and find the weakest point.

. When 95% of people want to "snatch" stop them and offer them your spade.
    I don't care if you think it is unrelated, but, in general, a little old elbow grease would ensure lower "safety factors"....

Safe Recoveries.
    Hey Jakes, relax , he hehe we use technology now, a Puffadder

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Says the man that takes TIME to make sure it is done SAFELY !!

Just wanted to stirrr Ian !!

Chris I haven't had the pleasure but people have told me about THAT safety drilling of his...
    Driven by passion
    Jakes 071 9855 258

safety drill....hmm what's that.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    Hey Jakes, relax , he hehe we use technology now, a Puffadder
    you use a snake to do snatch recoveries? i would have thought a python would be better than an adder as it has more muscles in it's body......
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Thumbs down

I took these hooks on a forum member Disco in Randburg this week ( he had a centre exhaust box replaced)
    You all talk about thickness of the steel and bolts etc but look at this glaring cockup He had new 3'75 rated rings bolted onto a bumper but i count 5 holes drilled trough the bumper on th right side of the attachment I could not see a backing plate behind the bumper to negate the loss of strength due to the multiple holes It looks like between three of these holes there are about 4mm flesh Our experts may also pick up that the bolts look like low tensile strength bolts i also think that there are no washers fitted to the bolts

This attachment will unzip like a mans fly when nature is really calling

My point here is you can calculate as much as you want but if you attach it wrong you are going to kill someone

I truly hope that this member will see this post and go back to whoever did the fitment and kick his ass till his ears ring like a church bell because this job looks like new ( even the bumper looks new)

I also took pictures of other poor designs on this disco i think our member was taken for a ride on a unraodworth minibus taxi
    The disco displays a forum member sticker
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pajero DID 2006
    For Big FUN Mazda MX5
    SWAMBO Audi A3

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of starting another onethat just disseminates the information all over the place.

SO here my problem.

A while ago I got hung up because this van of mine has a butt the size of a bus. It's low and sticks out a mile. I did not realize till the weekend that the rubber/plastic section not only weighs in at over 10Kg, but was only been held on my one little screw and two pop rivets.

So I decide to prevent any possible damage and loss of life for the poor guy behind me when that thing eventually falls off, I am ripping it all off and fixing me a proper bumper/tow bar and recovery setup.

After reading this very thread, I think I have just encountered my first problem. The Nissan chassis where the tow bar was mounted to looks like this.

Open end channel that does not look to be thicker than 3-4mm. Three mounting bolts on the side of the channel (12mm) and one to the bottom with a piece of flat bar for support to sandwich the chassis member to the tow bar.

Pending the strength of the chassis, I have in mind to add recovery points on either side of the tow bar using 16mm x 120mm and sandwich the chassis to a piece of flat bar 12mm x 80mm that runs inside the chassis.

I have also cut the tow bar shorter by 200mm and made a new drop plate to replace the old. This also lifts my tow ball by around 30mm, but will vastly better the exit angle and hopefully keep the rocks from my bumper.

Where are our experts? Please advise if the chassis is going to be able to handle this. The old bumper/ tow bar setup weighed in at 30kg and I hope to complete the new setup around 40-45kg. The big question is can that chassis handle recovery points this size. If something has to break, what should be the weakest link. Is it the rope/strap, or is it the chassis.

I would rather something break than me taking someones head off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00175-20131117-1751.jpg 
Views:	1348 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	249366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00171-20131117-1750.jpg 
Views:	1348 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	249367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00181-20131117-1807.jpg 
Views:	1423 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	249368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00188-20131118-1346.jpg 
Views:	1536 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	249369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00189-20131118-1346.jpg 
Views:	2178 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	249370  
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

David, I drilled extra holes deeper into the channel, and then used flat bar. 5 HT bolts per side.

My bumper is here
    Kobus

Nissan

The safest way is if possible:
    Rated recovery point(hooks)
    Use two if possible (2 front & 2 Rear)
    to the chassis
    Sandwich backing plate if possible
    with High tensile bolts
    Torqued
    in line with the pulling force
    Facing downwards

Use a bridal as weakest link in kinetic recovery.

Anything less, remember this post when it's too late!

To safe off-road recoveries!

Send pics of completed job.
    "HOW YOU DO ANYTHING, IS HOW YOU DO EVERYTHING"

Kobus, my idea exactly, just wanted to go lower down/deeper into the channel just forward of the body mount. Adds about 400mm inner lining inside the channel, just a bugger to get that nut that far down, but I have small enough hands I think. That will be done with 12mm flat bar.

You see on my setup, there is a corresponding hole on the bottom surface of the channel right across from the top hole in your picture. The tow bar was fixed to this as well. I do have a slight problem on the left member as my chassis has been slightly deformed, but should be able to pull it straight with the 12-16mm flat bar I am using.

Tinus, I agree with you 100% and that is why I am asking here first.

My tow bar is being beefed up substantially as well with the addition of 16mm flat bar on the side members. Combined that gives me 24mm attachment thickness on the tow bar member with 12mm inside the chassis member.

The 16mm bar will then be extended past the tow bar and become the recovery point on either side.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

I need a bumper on the van for Joburg traffic tomorrow, so slapped the new drop plate on and just ran a bead of welding top and bottom so that it looked OK to be bolted on.

Big business presentation at 8am and only expecting to be back late, Friday is always a mess, so no work on this project till Saturday unless something comes up, again, then it's only Monday evening.

Hi, could a 55mm eye end be used as a recovery point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustietub View Post
    Hi, could a 55mm eye end be used as a recovery point?
    I don't think those things are rated and you depending on one bolt to hold it to its base. Then what is its base, and how is it attached to the chassis?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8