Advice required road Livingstone to Chirundu Border

SchalkB Guest

Default Advice required road Livingstone to Chirundu Border

I want to travel from Livingstone to the Chirundu border post, then further to Mana pools. Anyone have info about the condition of this road, border post? Would like to travel this in a day.

Can be done, but depart early to give you ample time to settle in at Mana. The road between Livingstone and Zimba is under construction so expect detours and rough patches. Apart from that the road is good. The border should not be a problem at all.

Schalk, I see you have been a member for some time now and this being your 1st post. Cant say welcome as a new member, but can say well done on your 1st post in 2 years!

Schalk, the Chirundu border post is quite a mess. Why don't you use the Kariba border post. It is slightly longer, but it will go quicker and then you also see the Kariba Dam. Just a suggestion.
    Just before you reach Chirundu you turn right to Kariba.

Bad potholes and detours but i have done easily doable in 1 day. Leave early in case...

If you have time available, you can consider it to sleep over at Zambezi Breezers just outside Chirundu. Then you can also do a boat trip on the Zambezi and they are not so expensive.
    In Chirundu turn left of the gravel road and after a few kilometres you'll find Zambezi Breezers on your right hand side. You'll also find them on the internet.

Also be careful going down the escarpment into the valley. There are 2 main steep sections "Kapili Ngozi" ("big danger") and "Four Nyaw" ("4 feet/4 wheel drive"). These are not so bad going down but you might (along the whole descent down the escarpment) come accross stranded/brokendown/abandoned vehicles that can't get up the steeper inclines. Also you might get dangerous overtaking vehicles and slippery conditions due to diesel spillage and other lubricants on the road.

If you do go for the easier border post (Kariba) it will add about 60-100 km on the journey but you do get the benefit of the easier border crossing, visiting Siavonga (Zambia side of the wall... checkout the croc farm) as well as Kariba and its attractions. Just be careful somewhere about two thirds of the way from the turn-off from the Chirundu road there is a "double dip" in the road that causes your vehicle to "double bounce". We were four up in a Camry doing about 120km/h and hit this spot... we lifted of and landed several meters further on...very funny but not so pleasant!

Lastly, whichever route you takein the valley (mostly Zim side) keep a look out for game, especially elephant, on the road. If you do go the Kariba route you will have to turn back towards CHirundu when you hit Makuti to go down into the valley again (I think about 20km of good road).

Enjoy.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Hi

You can manage the drive in a day i did the same thing in reverse 3 weeks ago.

If you haven't fixed it with duct tape you haven't used enough!

Vehicle details: OME suspension kit 400kg, long rank tank 150lt, 70lt water tank, drawer system, duel battery, snorkel, roof top tent, roof rack, fitting air compressor, double spare wheel carrier, sand tracks, NL 70lt

Quote Originally Posted by Kesheshe View Post
    i did the same thing in reverse 3 weeks ago.
    So where is your report? Hope you enjoyed! Any pictures?
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/10/12 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesheshe View Post
    Hi

i did the same thing in reverse 3 weeks ago.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

seminolebrave Guest

Default Driving from Livingstone to Chirundu

I just did this drive with my Canadian group about 21/2 weeks ago. The first 100KM leaving Livingstone is not good, There is plenty of road construction. However once you are past that the road is very good. It is easily done in a day to Chirundu which is as far as I drove. We then went on to Kiambi Lodge for 4 days.