ROUTE ENQUIRY - From Ais-Ais to Aus via Sendelingsdrif & Rosh Pinah

Default ROUTE ENQUIRY - From Ais-Ais to Aus via Sendelingsdrif & Rosh Pinah

Hi All

I need advice for our trip in Dec. We are driving the latest Hilux D-4D D/C 4 x 4 with a Conqueror Commander in tow. There are two routes we are unsure off:

1. Dep Augrabies, next stop Hobas. The map shows a “shortcut” at Kakamas from Road 14 to Road 10, (on route to Ariamsvlei) avoiding the detour via Upington. Is this road accessible or is it best to rather go via Upington? (quite a detour!)
    2. Dep Hobas, next stop Shark Island, Luderitz. Instead of taking the C12 via Seeheim onto B4 (obviously faster and better road), we would like to take the route from D324 down (past Ais-Ais) & right into C10, left into C37 (Google shows as D316), right into C37 (D207). From here thru to Sendelingsdrif (D212). What is the condition of this road, or rather, can it be done with Commander in tow, any bad obstacles? Then further on via Rosh Pinah and Aus to Luderitz (apparently a permit is required for this road).

Our complete trip as follows, camping all the way with the exception of Upington and Bloemhof, on the way back:

Day 1: Depart Swaziland for Richards Bay Caravan Park – stay 4 nights.
    Day 5: Oribi Gorge – 2 nights
    Day 7: Gonubie Holiday Resort – 3 nights.
    Day 10: Mountain Zebra Nat Park (Cradock) – 1 night
    Day 11: Die Bos (Prieska) – 1 night
    Day 12: Augrabies Falls – 2 nights
    Day 14: Hobas, (FRC) – 2 nights
    Day 16: Shark Island, Luderitz – 2 nights
    Day 18: Mata Mata – 1 night
    Day 19: Twee Rivieren – 2 nights
    Day 21: Nossob – 2 nights
    Day 23: Polentswa – 2 nights
    Day 25: Rooiputs – 2 nights
    Day 27: Upington – HOTEL!
    Day 28: Bloemhof Area – still looking accommodation
    Day 29: Visit my Boet, Vanderbijl Park
    Day 30: Home – Swaziland
    I would have planned the days in Kgalagadi different, but guess we were ‘lucky’ to get accommodation as I read in previous forums of it being full. So we will make the most of it. The wilderness trails in Botswana will have to wait for next time.

We are attending a wedding in East London on the 19th, else we would’ve shot straight thru from Swazi to Kgalagadi and also fit the Richtersveld in, but that for another time as well. Some days will be tough, tiring, looong stretches to destination, but we’re getting a ‘feel’ for future trips and KGTFP as main destination – 9 nights!

Approx Km’s, excluding exploring = +- 6650
    Total accommodation, booked and paid, incl Park fees, excl Upington Hotel & Bloemhof area = R5500.00. Compared to last year’s 28 day December’s trip to central and northern Namibia (lodging only) of around R40 000.00, what a bargain!!! This caravan is certainly a good investment!

Your comments and especially help with the roads would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    TT

TT,

I would not be able to comment on your item number 1, but in May this year we followed the route you mentioned in item number 2 as part of our trip.
    Unless somethings happened between May and now you should not have any problems towing your Commander on that stretch on road. The worst part of this section is on the D212 towards Sendelingsdrift which at places are badly corrugated (This can change from one week to the next, Namibia has a number of graders active on their roads)

We did this strectch in two days however, in part because we wanted to stop over at Namuskluft close to Rosh Pinah (one of the most secluded camping sites you'll find)

The roads from Rosh Pinah up to Luderitz are all tarred and in good condition and even though you pass through Sperrgebiet between Aus and Luderitz no permit is required, but you are not allowed to stop or wander from the main road. Try to arrive in Luderitz in daylight as you passs through the Ferral Horse area with no fences and lots of animals wandering freely.

TT,

The Lutzputs road from Kakamas is a wide gravel road which is worth the shortcut. I drove it once (although long ago).

It is a very wise decision drive to Aus via Rosh Pinah from Hobas. Must be one of the most scenic routes in Namibia. When you turn left onto the D316 from the C10 there is a turn-off to the right about 23km down the road. It is a short cut that leads through the Gamkab-river. It could be seriously corrugated at times. Follow this road for approximately 19km. You will get to a cattle grid/gate. Don't pass through, but keep to the right at the gate. The 2 spoor road takes you into the river bed with breathtaking views of the gorge. The road is a bit sandy at first, but nothing serious. You will join up with the D212 after about 12km's where you turn right to Rosh Pinah. All these roads should not pose any problems for your vehicle/trailer.

The trip from Hobas to Luderitz will not be less than 7 hours (approx 500km). Be aware of late afternoon winds in the Namib between Aus and Luderitz which could sandblast your headlights/numberplate. Also be prepared for wind when camping at Shark Island.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Nico

Quote Originally Posted by nicovh View Post
    Also be prepared for wind when camping at Shark Island.
    Wind - almost gauranteed! Why not stay at klein aus vista for the two nights that you planned for Luderitz. http://www.klein-aus-vista.com/ Travel into Luderitz for the day and see all the sights, returning to klein aus at night. The weather and campsite at klein aus would be much better IMHO
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Default Dec '09 Trip

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Oh dear! sandblasting!!! Not nice. We have already booked and paid for Shark Island, Ocean side......wouldn't like to damage IPF's, let alone new bakkie, but then again, it was bought to take us to deepest, darkest AAAAAfriekaaa!

Will have to think of precautionary methods...any ideas? Wot about a modified caravan blanket, with peep holes thru driver's windows.......

Okey just joking!
    Thanks a mill
    TT

Goeie dag menere
    ek beplan ook 'n lekker vakansie in desember tot by white lady - brandberg nature res. in noorde en daar sal ek draai windhoek toe en af beweeg SA se kant toe.
    Ek beplan ook om die roete vanaf noordoewer en dan op die D212 na sendelingsdrif / rosh pinah / aus en dan te oornag in helmeringhausen. omgewing. Ek ry met pajero 3.2 glx en sal echo chobe camper sleep. ons gaan oral kamp. vraag 1: is dit regtig nodig om vooraf te book as jy campsite wil he - is al die campsites dan so besig? vraag 2: ek beplan om drie nagte buite swakopmund te kamp by sophia dale rest camp - is dit veilig daar en is dit moeite werd om so lank daar te bly of het jy ander kampsite naby wat beter is. vraag 3: aangesien ek nog nooit in desember in namibia was nie - hoe warm raak dit nou regtig of is daar darem ook donderstorms wat dit nie te ondraaglik maak nie. vraag 4: is daar dalk 'n lekker wildernis kamp erens in namibia wat ek kan besoek - 'n kamp waar net jy alleen is sonder toilet en stort.
    ek sal enige terugvering waardeer en die wat ook in namibia gaan wees in desember - ek hoop ons sien mekaar daar.
    christiaan

Christiaan

Eerstens, Namibia is BAIE baie warm in Desember! Verlede jaar Des in Sossusvlei het die grade by 47C gedraai! Baie plekke het nie elek nie en ek sal aanraai om eerder vooraf te bespreek, dan is jy verseker van jou staanplek. Daar is niks erger as om moeg en warm by jou bestemming uit te kom en daar is nie staanplek nie! Maar dis my opinie, ek verkies om met die 1e besoek aan die vreemde verseker te wees van my 'itinerary'

Voorspoed en geniet die vakansie!
    TT

Hallo Tum Tum
    dankie vir jou goeie raad - ja jy maak my bang as jy se dis so WARM - ek ook nie eintlik een wat baie hitte kan vat nie - maar soos hulle se as jy nie probeer vir jouself nie sal jy nooit weet nie.
    ons gesels weer
    christiaan

Imagine my horror today when I tried to book camping accomodation in Kgalagadi and everything is booked. Our entire December's plan has gone out the window. We will now have to go Boksburg - kuruman- Augrabies - Port Nolloth - Sendelingsdrift - pronk round southern Namibia and back. Would like to take in Fish River area and Sossusvlei. We were hoping to just jump in the Defender and drive. Surely you don't have to book and pre-plan your entire holiday? I was hoping we can go where we like and have a spur of the moment holiday. I hate rigid, planned holidays.

Hi NewPenny...and welcome to the best forum x far! Have you tried the Botswana side @ KTFP? Our Dec plans only came to light about 3 weeks ago, started with the main attraction - KTFP (and off course the wedding in Gonubie) phoned the places, was lucky, the rest of the itinerary followed.

December is generally jam packed - everywhere! Nice to just get up and go at the spur of the moment, agree, not nice to arrive and not have a spot after a tiresome day.

Hope you get sorted.
    TT

December is generally jam packed - everywhere! Nice to just get up and go at the spur of the moment, agree, not nice to arrive and not have a spot after a tiresome day.

Hope you get sorted.
    TT[/QUOTE]

Does that mean that even Richtersvlei and southern Namibia will also be booked? I'll be in the Defender with a rtt, can't we just park and camp?

Default I guess Tata Ma Chance

We did the spur of the moment thing in the Campervan about 5 years ago - was declined at many places and didn't feel safe just sleeping anywhere, although we did and nothing happened - but that was 5 years ago.

We still prefer to book (in season) and be happy/unhappy...it has it's pro's and con's, make the most of it....generally we never go back to the same places, been there done it...there's a whole wide world out there to explore! ...and time is of the essence!

We still prefer to book (in season) and be happy/unhappy...it has it's pro's and con's, make the most of it....generally we never go back to the same places, been there done it...there's a whole wide world out there to explore! ...and time is of the essence![/QUOTE]

We aslo prefer to just head in the general direction of the sunshine. Love to discover places we've never been to before. If we like it we stay a few days or just head on out to the next place. We're so limited on how many long distance trips we can do a year so I much prefer the unplanned take-it-as-it-comes type of trips. We take turns between the motor bikes and B&Bs or the Defender and rtt. We've never booked accomodation in a December and have never been dissappointed up to now. Can't wait. Only 33 more working days!

We did it last week. Entered through Mata Mata and went to Twee Rivieren. SA and Botswana offices now in one building. Mata Mata and Twee Rivieren were almost fully booked and crowded. Walked over to Botswana side and booked at P120 per night (conservation fee, car fee and camping) at Rooiputs. It was only me and my wife there for two nights and the third night we were joined by one other vehicle which was actually nice because it is very lonely on your own between the animals and with dark moon. An awesome, breathtaking experience which I will do again.
    Also the direct road via Rooiputs between Twee Rivieren and Nossob is closed. They made a twee spoor road on the banks of the river for Rooiputs residents - You have your own private game viewing road.
    Do it!!

Williepiet....sounds awesome....you had a great time....and we cannot wait! Thanks for the info!

Greetings
    TT

Hi

Within the next 4 or 5 days we'll be uploading pages of our recent Namibia/Botswana trip + the more detailed diary. If then you have any questions email and we'd be happy to help.
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk
    Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk