Report : Moz trip maputo to inhambane

mccabe Guest

Default Report : Moz trip maputo to inhambane

We just came back from trip through Moz - what a joy. We experienced none of the problems that people warned us about. No corrupt spietkops, long hours at the border post etc. After speaking to a lot of people before we went over, we decided to rather cross into Moz through Lebombo border post than using Giriyondo. Last mentioned is actually closer to where we live - Polokwane.

In retrospect I would in future rather use the border post at Giriyondo than the one at Lebombo.The reason for this being that we lost almost an hour through Maputo. The section that you go through in Maputo on your way to Inhambane and Xai Xai is extremely busy and its basically a free for all - we at one stage had a bus on our left and a taxi on our right with me driving on the tar and they on the pavement with pedestrians playing chicken with us. Nerve wrecking stuff !!!! At the Lebombo border post we made use of a runner as we were running late and couldn't afford having to wait at the border post for 2-3 hours. We got through in exactly half an hour at a cost of R250. Money we exchanged at the garage on your left hand side just before you cross the border ( I think the place is called FX Bureau de chance ) - exchange rate R1.00 = R3.40. Don't under any circumstances change at one of the people walking around. They're full of tricks.

Going through the border we got spietkops just after crossing the border - there's a big school painted green and white on your left and they were sitting there - and then after the first tollgate. On our way back from Inhambane we took the route over Xinavane, Magude and Moamba in stead of going through Maputo again. It's a dirt road about 140km from where you turn off from Xinavane to where you reach EN1 close to Moamba. Travelling time is roughly the same as going through Maputo but then you don't lose timing going through the city.

Tar roads are good all the way up to Xai Xai and then it becomes a nightmare. I know everbody warned us about roadworks and potholes north of Xai Xai, but we didn't expect this. The Chinese are working on the roads and have basically dug up the whole lane going north to a depth of about half a metre below the level of the existing road - so be carefull. We had a truck drove of the left hand side and it was hanging at a very akward angle. Luckilly it didn't roll over. This continues for 75 km up to the town of Zandanmela - from there on its fine all the up to Inhambane. Allow about 2 to 3 hours for the 75 km north of Xai Xai. On average you can calculate your speed in Moz at about 60km/hr.

If anybody needs more info, feel free to contact me. We will definitely be going back next year.

what was the normal exchange rate when you went and when did you go.

thanks
    Never Dull in Africa

Default thanks

Mccabe

Thanks for the trip report. After reading about the bad stretch after Xai-Xai
    I looked for an alternative route.

I turned left at chissano (town between macia and xia-xia) on the chibuto road - on google earth it is a dirt road but it is actually a great tar road and the going was smooth and fast. There ia a high water bridge over the Limpopo. At chibuto turn right and just after town of antigua turn left to Manjacaze. The tar road goes back to the EN1. The Manjacaze road is a good dirt road with multiple bumps that make going abit slow 40-60km/h. At Manjacaze roundabout go out 3 o'clock. After the lake, the road splits in 3 - we took the middle one - also good dirt road with bumps that makes going slow but constant (40-60km/h.) This road joins the EN1 were the road works stops. There is a 8km bad patch with potholes until you get the good road after zandemala.

This detour is 25 km longer and takes about 2 hours to do. It worked for me, stress free and nice scenery.

Thanks again for you report

KK
    2009 Nissan Navara 4.0L DC 4x4
    2009 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Acenta

Hi KK We have just heard from a friend who came back on Friday 23rd October that the EN1 is now worse than ever and most of the way from Xai Xai he had to travel mainly on the dirt as trucks hogged what was left of the tar, if any.Many cars were stopped with wheel /tyre damage and trailers could be a real issue.
    I think we may well have to go your route just to avoid damage to cars and trailers and so would appreiciate a little more info.
    I presume that we have tar from Chissano to Antigua and that in Chibuto the right turn will be signposted to Antigua.After Antigua we look for a left turn to Manjacaze and take it. At the Manjacaze roundabout it's easy enough to go out at 3 o' clock but is there any signpost here? Same with the middle road after the lake. sign? Does this road jointhe EN1 south or north of Chidenguele as my map shows south but I think the good road starts some distance north of Chidenguele. Do you have any distances between some of the above reference points as unknown roads take forever when being done for the first time and it's always nice to go past a reference and know you're still on the right road. Maybe you should answer this as a new thread " Alternative Route from Xai Xai" so that more people will read it and benefit.
    Thanks

Larry (quattro)

Quattro
    2005 Touareg V10
    2006 BMW M5
    2017 Invader Duo
    2007 Noble Ferrari P4 replica
    2013 High Spec TRD Toyota 86

quattro

I started a new thread as suggested. I included the important way points.
    I didn't keep track of the distance but you can easily measure that on google earth or mapsource. Sorry for the "homework"

Regards

KK

Quatro

This detour joins the EN1 at the town of Chidenguele (prominent church on hill). The road works stopped were the detour joins the EN1. Fromn then there were no roadworks but bad potholes up to zandamela - I think its about 10km or so - didn't measure sorry.

KK