Resale value R100 000 DC 4x4 bakkies

Default Resale value R100 000 DC 4x4 bakkies

Hi guys

I want to buy a 4x4 DC bakkie in the below the R100 000 bracket with the viewpoint to keep it for 2 years max and then sell it, simply because by then I should be in a position to buy something better/new. It will also be my everyday vehicle - the usual " 90% tar, 10% off-road".

With that in mind, what double cab or even extended cab bakkie would say would be the best in terms of re-sale value? The real question is probably on which purchase will I loose the least amount on resale?

I know if we just talk resale value a Toyota DC would arguably be the best bet, but your starting value/initial purchase price is also higher than the other bakkies, which of course can lead to initially buying an older/higher mileage bakkie, which is also not ideal, especially looking 2 years down the line.

If I look at autotrader prices the options in that price range seems to be:

Bakkies bought out in the year 2000 or newer:
    Nissan Hardbody DC V6 (2001-2003)
    Ford Ranger/Mazda 2.5TD (2002)
    Ford Ranger 4l V6 (2004)
    Isuzu 3.2l V6 (2000-2001)
    Toyota 2.7l (2000)
    Colt V6 (?2001-2002)

Older than 2000
    Some of the above, but older models, and Isuzu 2.8td being the only “older” diesel I’ll consider, although in this price range the diesel bakkies will probably have quite high mileage so I think realistically speaking I should probably only look at petrol bakkies.

Other things to consider:
    Capability – I think they are all on par as they are all IFS. So please no “brand mud-slinging”.
    Price of spares. (Also, I have heard the Ford spares are expensive. Any truth in this?)
    Fuel economy – if consider only petrol probably all about the same, except maybe the Ford 4 liter.
    Reliability.

Thanks guys, I would appreciate your input on these issues.

The pre-facelift (up to 2002) Toyota 2.7 is a good option. Very good vehicles, reliable and strong, pretty capable offoad. Fuel consumption about 8km/l. What about a diesel? The KZTE is also a good bakkie. Toyotas generally have a good resale value, particularly if you can get one with fairly low milage. Low mileage pre-facelift 2.7 4x4's are quite sought after, so you should get a good price when selling again.
    Last edited by Senyetse; 2009/09/04 at 02:43 PM.
    2000 Toyota Hilux 2700i Raider DC 4x4 - OME, dual battery, Front Runner RR
    2006 Toyota Yaris Sedan

All depends what you can get - most of these bakkies will keep fairy decent resale value over 2 years, especially since they are all relatively old
    Generally the bakkie that you will get the best deal when selling 2 years later you will have to take out the most cash for at the moment, so you are basically all equal on all of them
    Toyota's do have higher resale, but are also more expensive now

IMO, but the bakkie that you can good a good deal on and that is well looked after
    BTW, the 4.0L ford is not that heavy on fuel - my parents have a 4.0L supercab and get 7 - 8km/L average, on long trips driving 130 on the highway 8 - 9 km/L is possible - got 9km/L on a trip to bloem
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Thanks Senyetse, thay are solid bakkies, that's for sure. One just seem to find very few of 2000& newer under R100 000.

I have stayed away from the KZTE & also Colt 2.8td simply because of issues with them (diesels), no offense meant to anyone, simply because at that price range they will probably have high mileage and I'm not keen on a R$$$ rebuilt, because that will exactly defy the whole purpose of this purchase. Also the savings on km/l compared to the petrol does not seem to be that huge.

Christo Davids are you saying thay all depreciate at the same %/rate compared to their values now? Thanks for the info on the 4l Ford, that why I posed the question. And spare parts, any truth in that?

I don't think you can use a % decrease in value at that stage of a bakkie's life. If you get a well looked after bakkie with relatively low mileage for R100k you may just as well get 100k 2 years later, but there are no guarantees
    The condition of the vehicle plays the biggest role here and it will come down to supply and demand. On average though they will all be relatively equal, but then again on average, everything is the same... bottom line, I don't think one will keep it's value % wise better than the other, obviously given that the bakkie is in the same condition when you sell it

WRT spares, the for spares are not that expensive in my book. If you buy from the dealers all spares are expensive, rather look at availability and the ford spares are not a problem to find
    Christo Davids

Christo Davids, thanks, a lot of info in that answer.

So according to you the condition of the vehicle of any of the examples of above is the most important factor when it come to resale 2 years down the line? I know it's logical that one must buy the best example of what you can find, does it then not only come down to what would be the most in demand 2 years down the line? So with supply & demand, are we not then looking at the higher priced bakkies now compared to year model to give the best selling price in 2 years?

Correct, supply and demand is king, but at that price, make and model is not that critical, most people lokk for "A double cab bakkie in good condition" - they are not too fussy about brands, etc. If the vehicle is in mint condition you will get it sold at a reasonable price - that's my opinion anyway

Looking at trends, etc then the condition of the vehicle, rather than brand, will determine the selling price. All double cab bakkies are in high demand
    Christo Davids

The reason I asked the question in the 1st place is I saw a 2000 DC Nissan bakkie on a site advertised for R80 000, mileage under 150k, lots of extras, it was inspected by a member and apparently in good nick for it's age, but the last time I checked no one was buying. In the wanted section here 3 guys are looking for 2.7 post 1999 Toyota bakkies in the around R100k price range? And I don't use brands for any reason other than to explain my confusion, and it is also not a pro- or anti-Toyota comment. In my eyes the IFS bakkies (above brands) are all about the same, but obviously the market dictates otherwise. Maybe one SHOULD get the same price but in reality...

Any owners of others brands that wish to give their input?

Another question, until what year/price, obviously other than new, does brand make a difference?

Hi Walkabout

Not just because I drive a 2.7I Hilux , but I have only heard good things about this bakkie , and one thing I know is that the maintanance on mine is VERY LOW,
    its on 265 000 km at the moment and still no problems , I bought it on 130 000km.
    At the end it will be your choice , but IF you buy the 2.7I , you wil not be sorry.
    Just my 2c

Andre Joubert
    08 Merc C 220 CDI AMG (Wifes car )
    01 Pajero 4.0 GLS Auto 5D
    EX- 02-Toyota Hilux 2.7
    EX- 97 Disco V8

Thanks AndreJ, I agree it is a good choice. But then an Isuzu 3.2 V6 in good condition is just as hard to find? And these makes, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Ford/Mazda are all quite similar IMH opinion. So what does sit come down to - personal likes or dislikes/preferance of the marketplace?

Obviously part of the original question is not only on which one will you loose the least, but also which one will you be able to sell the easiest? Also considering on the more popular brands in that price range they all seem to have far over 200 000km on them, whereas with the less popular models you still look at below 150 000km. In a couple of year's time you will probably compare 300 000km to 200 000km. Will it still out-sell it then?

I know the question is a bit of "looking in a crystal ball" but there should be an indication of the trends already?

Thanks for your time and responses guys, I am sure it is also helpful for a lot of other buyers as one often get the "looking for a 4x4 in the R80k - R100k price range" questions here.